Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind : Spirit???

Options
  • 09-07-2005 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure this should be here but anyhow...

What do you think is the difference between mind and the spirit and what do you think separates the two?

I was in a discussion with a friend today who is convinced that mind and spirit are the same and both refer to the one thing. I'm not talking about about spirit in any religious sense; rather what i think of as the true presence of life within us.

What are your theories/beliefs?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I see them as two seperate, connected things with mind contained in spirit but spirit being above mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NigelK

How about "mind" is a personal (subjective) aspect of spirit (that which encompasses all.)
    Just my thought.
    Regards, Nigel K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

These days, mind tends to refer to the more logical, analytical aspects of the self - spirit with the more intuitive. One would not say "to my spirit" when voicing an opinion; one would say "to my mind" etc. However you might say "my spirit has been lifted". In this way, "spirit" can also refer to a sort of abstract animating principle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I like to think of my mind as being the sum of my brain and my spirit. I kind of think of our subconcious minds as being like the gateway between our spirit and our concious mind. Sometimes when I concentrate I can almost 'see' the thoughts swirling around my subconcious and follow them through to my concious mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well this really is a matter of definitions. I frequently ask myself hows my health in terms of mind, body and spirit. I consider my mind my conscious thoughts and intellect. My spirit I consider to be a connection between my body and the universe at large. My intutition, luck and things like that I attribute to my spirit. Im a firm believer in things balancing out and Karma.

I think there is a general "spirit" in nature, a part of which is part of me and communicates with me on an unconscious level. So for me, the mind and spirit have a different meaning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote:
    I like to think of my mind as being the sum of my brain and my spirit. I kind of think of our subconcious minds as being like the gateway between our spirit and our concious mind. Sometimes when I concentrate I can almost 'see' the thoughts swirling around my subconcious and follow them through to my concious mind.

Excellent Steve, to me you just hit the nail on the head. The mind is the common ground or intermediatory between the spirit and the brain. Your theory has a nice flow to it.

6th

Advertisement