Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

STOLEN: Skoda Octavia vRS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for your troubles, PaddyFagan :(

The vast majority of cars stolen (not 10 year old Fiestas stolen for joy-riding) are driven away using the key just stolen from the hall table or anywhere obvious in the house. More often than not with the owners in the house
    Rew wrote:
    my mother set off a camera flash

Clever! Must remember that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I reckon that even if the car keys are hidden, if they want the car they'll take the car. A guy I work with had his car stole as well. It was a little more brazen in how they robbed it:

He had an M5 BMW company car parked outside his house. At about 11pm the door-bell rang and according to him four very large men stood at his front door and simply said "The car keys now!" He didn't even argue simply handed over the keys and the four left in his car. He reported it straight away to the Garda who never did seem to find it. He wasn't too upset at the car (it was a company one) he was more upset of the essentially mugging that he got. I suppose would your car be worth a beating or even you life? Don't care what I drove, that's what insurance is for!

I don't believe the car was ever found. I suppose anything that's that brazen or arrogant isn't your simple knacker joyrider, but probably a professional gang using it for a job or some sort of criminal activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Very much in too minds about how things would have gone if the keys where up stairs - concerns for the safety of my five month old daughter and wife, kind of out weight the thought that I might still have my car.

Yes, I do have fully comp. In an odd turn of events I hadn't managed to sell my old car (an 03 Megane coupe) so at least I still have a car, until I get this all sorted out.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PaddyFagan wrote:
    Very much in too minds about how things would have gone if the keys where up stairs - concerns for the safety of my five month old daughter and wife, kind of out weight the thought that I might still have my car.

Yes, I do have fully comp. In an odd turn of events I hadn't managed to sell my old car (an 03 Megane coupe) so at least I still have a car, until I get this all sorted out.

Paddy

Hopefully, touch wood, nothing happens to that car. Two claims in a week or so would not make for a happyt renewal next time round.

I have a baseball bat knocking round the house that i keep meaning to stick to the underside of my bed,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

mike65 wrote:
    Have to ask this, where did you leave the keys? Were they easy to see left on a window sill or table top in the kitchen or something? Most thieves won't risk a break-in unless they can see thier target.

Mike.

Not at all the car was took either for resale or to do a few jobs in and regardless of where he puts the keys the reason they break in is get them. A safe wouldn't help either as he would be woken and forced to give the keys over through violence no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It looks obvious to me that your car was on a professional's wanted list whether it to be sold on or used in criminal activity. I doubt that these were scumbags looking for something to do a couple of hand brake turns in on a Friday night, there are easier ways of taking cars for this.

Unfortunately the market for steeling performance cars in Ireland and driving them across to the UK on a ferry to potential customers is becoming more common. This makes it more difficult in the UK to trace their originality.

Hopefully yours will turn up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PaddyFagan wrote:
    Very much in too minds about how things would have gone if the keys where up stairs - concerns for the safety of my five month old daughter and wife

Good point. You're insured, just let them take it without you knowing. Awful to wake up and find you're car is gone and somebody has been in your home while you were asleep, but then again that's only material damage

If they want the car, they'll get it, no matter how. If only you could protect your home / family as you can in the US :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

unkel wrote:
    If only you could protect your home / family as you can in the US :cool:
    Oh yes you'd have a gun and they'd have a bloody machine gun - that makes the situation SOOO much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

sorry to here that paddy,my m2 gti golf was robbed in feb from my house, in prosperous :mad: never got it back.hope uv better luck,il spread the word round out my way :o but shes more than likely well gone out of the area.got myself an american pit bull,beats any f..king alarm.next time there looking for keys the dog can deal them some justice. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Sorry to hear that Paddy, but it's good to see that no-one was harmed. I'll keep an eye out but chances are if you do find it it'll be burned out, a sorry end for a great car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Sorry to hear about this. Something similar happened to a guy I know just before Christmas. With regard to hiding the keys, the guy I know did this. He was woken up by the scumbag in the middle of the night with a kettle of boiling water right above his head. 'Where are the keys' is all he heard.
    Very scary stuff. Makes you wonder if it's really such a good idea to hide the keys.

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

I think you should get yourself a dog. Nothing big, maybe just a little ankle biter that will bark if theres someone around.

I have 3 german shephards at home and they are a brilliant deterrent (sp?). Almost all of the houses in my area have been broken into at some stage except ours.

Dogs dont like it if a stranger invades their territory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

phelo05 wrote:
    they feckers learn from this get yourself a safe and put the key in it for the next car you get

Would you not prefer they took the car ! otherwise they could really do some damage to u, or your family.

No car is worth having your family terrorised over a car...

Hi Folks,

A dog might be a good idea - my garden ins't huge though so, I'd want to be sure the poor thing wouldn't go nuts! (Plenty of long walks I guess! Good for me as well)

The Garda Crime Scene Investigation guys where out late on Saturday evening, no prints or anything, but they did recommend fiting a sensor light as a deterant. Who knows if it would have helped, but I installed one yesterday - at least it was something I could do.

BTW The insurance company will wait 21 days before they'll payout unless it shows up in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Paddy - in case you don't see it over on Octane - you should register & post something similar to this thread on www.briskoda.net. A lot of the vRS owners in Ireland hang out there, and they'd be most likely to spot your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Around this time last year alot of quick cars were been stolen around the northside. What would happen is that a bunch of lads would nick an easy to rob car and then drive around the estates robbing the quickest car the could get and then race them down at clare hall.. Gardai did feck all about it for ages. Wonder if the same thing is going on around Cellbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Paddy, sorry to hear your news, vRS is a fine machine, I can understand it being on a thieves 'wanted list'.

WRT security you need 2 things, Dogs and flood lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Where abouts did you buy it, I'd be asking serious questions at the garage where you bought it, I think the fact that you picked up the keys very recently and your car has been robbed is too much of a coincidence. sounds like an inside job, I.E. someone has access to a list of new cars and their addresses, or someone gave a heads up to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

Where abouts did you buy it, I'd be asking serious questions at the garage where you bought it, I think the fact that you picked up the keys very recently and your car has been robbed is too much of a coincidence. sounds like an inside job, I.E. someone has access to a list of new cars and their addresses, or someone gave a heads up to someone.

ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

years ago, early-mid nineties like, my bosses brother in law had an imprezza, back when no-one had an imprezza (one of the fast ones, not a 1.6)

Doorbell rang at about two in the morning, yer man went down to be greeted by two barrels of a sawn off. "We're taking the car, get the keys"

Handed over the keys funnily enough and the boys left, but the phone lines had been cut so it took a few minutes to raise the alarm.

he expected the guards to do nowt about it till morning but had a squad round in minutes.

the gang were collected somewhere on the way back into dublin (car was in dundalk) in a roadblock

turns out the guys in question were known to the gardai and were known to be planning a bank raid that day :O

• Advertisement

Paddy - in case you don't see it over on Octane - you should register & post something similar to this thread on www.briskoda.net. A lot of the vRS owners in Ireland hang out there, and they'd be most likely to spot your car.

Yeah - I hang out there myself once in a while, posted the same details as here on Saturday.

The whole garage thing was a little odd - I've passed the details onto the gardai. But given the whole thing could be just co-incidence, I don't want to name the garage on a public forum.....

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

PaddyFagan wrote:
    The whole garage thing was a little odd - I've passed the details onto the gardai. But given the whole thing could be just co-incidence, I don't want to name the garage on a public forum.....

Paddy

Quite so, naming names might get this place ie DeVore sued.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

Paddy I'm really sorry to hear about your car. I had mine robbed/burnt out about two weeks ago. Granted it wasn't as nice as yours :) But its a terrible feeling knowing that you've been violated like that.

What pisses me off more though is the ****ing laughable sentences these ***** get. A good behaviour bond and a slap on the wrist. Hopefully they'll have their brain hemispheres seperated by a stop sign travelling at 150mph, sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Some twats broke into a house and took the keys to a polo in celbridge last week, but got chased by the garda and slammed it into a wall beside the garda station at tesco..

Still managed to get away on foot, lol go An Gardai..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Just a minor point here that may have been overlooked, the reason a bottle of wine and water was removed, was because these are handy weapons. A friend of mine had the same thing happen. Gaurds told him the reason for the missing bottles is for assault should they get disturbed. These people get pulled a lot and don't like to carry weapons. If I ever heard em' in my house I 'd throw the keys down the stairs, and tell them second is a bit sticky. No car is worth horrific injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I know theft is tramatic and having some break into your house while you sleep is unnerving, but if ordinary decent people just hand over their cars to scumbags they will just keep doing it. Many years ago my father wrapped a golf club around an intruders head, the cops had to arrest him for assault, but never charged him. If someone breaks into my house looking for whatever, they arent going to ponce out of the place without a struggle tbh.

Nuttzz wrote:
    Many years ago my father wrapped a golf club around an intruders head, the cops had to arrest him for assault, but never charged him. If someone breaks into my house looking for whatever, they arent going to ponce out of the place without a struggle tbh.

I used to keep an semi-decorative African Turkana fighting stick (like a pointed hurley, but lighter and harder) on the wall over the stairs in case someone broke into the house. A garda friend of mine advised me that this was a bad idea as you are merely providing the intruder with a weapon. The sorry fact is that most defensive weapons are generally used on the owner, not the intruder.

I would give him the keys, then watch out the window as it took him half an hour to figure out how to start my car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I would give him the keys, then watch out the window as it took him half an hour to figure out how to start my car :)

The chances are, he's going to come looking for you very quickly (with the bottle of wine in-hand) if he can't start the car ;)

DC.

dcGT wrote:
    The chances are, he's going to come looking for you very quickly (with the bottle of wine in-hand) if he can't start the car ;)

No, I'd give him a glass for the wine too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What car do you drive that it is so difficult to start?

Advertisement