Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American plug solution?

• 09-07-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got an American laptop from eBay. Now to change that plug! I have used my Dell plug to go into the convertor yoke (or whatever you call the middle bit of the power cable!), so I know that that the voltage etc is fine. All I need is;
    a. Either a new Dell plug (anyone have any spare?)
    or
    b. An international plug adapter thing - how much? where? (computer shop or other?)
    or
    c. To change the plug head myself (is this safe to do for the laptop? ie., is it just the same as changing any plug, or is it more complicated than that? Also, should I be wary of American wire colouring differences?)

Which is the best option?

Thanks thanks and thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i had a similar problem and i just went with a us-uk plug adapter i got for 3 or 4 euro. i've seen them a lot in those kinda junk pound shop places but i got mine in harvey norman despite the fact the sales person said they didn't sell them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

You can get an adaptor easily enough, but maybe its easier and neater just to cut off the US plug and put on an Irish/UK one?

I did it with an Mp3 player I brought over a few years ago. Still works! I presume the wiring will be the same colour, but it might be the 'old' British colours too e.g. live would be red rather than brown. Not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

i got a laptop from the US and the adaptor was universal voltage so just snip the plug off and put a new one on, the colors on the wires are different tho, if your going this route i'll tell you the wire colors. to check if its universal voltage look the the adaptor, it should say input : 100-240v 50-60hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yep...it definately has the voltage range.
    I've attached a picture of the wire...is it still possible to change the plug?Note the way the wire is split into three parts. Sorry, dont know much about electrics and dont wanna get electromocuted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Ok, I decided to just buy an adapter and it seems to be working fine so far.
    Cheers
    -Cian

• Advertisement
Advertisement