Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article]Where has all the money gone? - Ed Harriman follows the auditors into Iraq

Options
  • 09-07-2005 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting article from the London Review of Books site. It is way too long to reproduce here so here is just the link

Where has all the money gone?

There are a few issues which concern me

Firstly, why is it acceptable for a country to invade another country, destroy all the infrastructure and then use the money from the people they just destroyed to finance the spoils of war? I think it is wrong and says a lot for the 'concern' for the Iraqi people from those who now claim that this is what it was all about.

Secondly, there appears to be plenty of corruption in the whole regime, from the US appointed leader to the soldiers on the ground. So much for the concern of the Iraqi people. Is this really because they have no accountibility to show where the money is going or is it just the nature of things?

Thirdly, what can Iraqis do to try and get some accountibility from the US? I do not think they do very much as the US are the defenders of freedom and democracy and they would never have behaved like this therefore it would be an 'appalling vista' if it were true.

Advertisement