Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Integrating website and blog from scratch?

• 09-07-2005 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm a web "hobbyist" currently designing a fairly basic website, and I also want to integrate a blog in the design. But I'm not sure how to go about this integration. Some questions:

Do any web hosting companies also have blogging applications as part of the hosting package? If so, is the appearance of the blog customisable i.e. can it be styled the same as the web site?

How do stand-alone blogging applications (e.g. TypePad??) work? If I use a stand-alone package, can I use my hosting site to also host the blog?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Quite a few hosting companies offer blogging tools preinstalled with their hosting plans.
    Wordpress, for example, can be used to run an entire site.
    Have a look at:
    http://www.webreakthings.com/
    http://www.davidsmalley.com/
    http://www.tomrafteryit.net

Each uses wordpress to manage their entire site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Thanks blacknight. I assume that to run wordpress I must have server-side software running on my machine, or already be signed up with a hosting service?

Edit: Oh yeah, which hosting sites support wordpress?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Wordpress requires MySQL and php, which most hosting companies offer.
    Some offer wordpress pre-installed *cough* *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

That's a bad cough you have there Michele ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Oh dear... you guys have eyes like HAWKS. :O

On the topic at hand, you have no need for MySQL, you can use a flat file system for blogging (ie, it uses text files instead of MySQL) if you don't have the option of using a proper database.
    A mate of mine managed to get this running without much trouble.

Starting off with a website and integrating a blog into that is rather more difficult (depending on just how integrated you want it), but not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

You can run a blog in one place and pull info from it into your website that sits in another place. We do that with the site www.inbite.com where it pulls feeds into its right hand column from news.inbite.com

The site inbite.com is edited with Dreamweaver. Its blog is hosted on Typepad.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

another option is the likes of blogger.com - if you dont have the server side skills or your current host doesn't provide a blog pre-installed.

they have lots of templates already setup, and using their tags you can use your existing website design and layout and integrate into your site very easily, turning features on and off by adding and removing tags.

you give blogger.com your sites ftp details, and everytime you post or edit a blog, blogger.com updates the page via ftp.

posting is done through blogger.com. you can have contributors to your blog and other users of blogger.com can post replies.

their t's&c's state that you must add a button to your site to use it. once you do that it's free.

you can see this in action on my site - www.ragorder.com though I don't allow replies - I'm just using it as an easy way to post new "news" to my site.

pretty basic stuff - good for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

You may discover some frustration with Blogger as it has often burped, coughed and refused to update sites that I use as a group blogger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i have posted this abt WordPress and corporate website :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=284579

easy enuff to install WordPress and run it.
    difficult part for me is to be creative to design the site.
    other than that, learning a bit of CCS and HTML is more than helpful. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

All,

Thanks a million for the replies.:)

In the end I went with a hosting site that already has Wordpress available, and "borrowed" the Wordpress CSS file to use as the base for my own homepage HTML. This means that all my content looks consistent.

A quick comment on Wordpress: Excellent blogging software, very simple to use. Even though I've no experience with other bloggin sw to give a fair comparison, I fully recommend it, especially for a newbie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement