Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod or iShuffle (or any MP3 player) as a data drive?

Options
  • 09-07-2005 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Any one use their iPod or iShuffle or indeed any MP3 player as a data drive on a PC. Any issues with it? I wondering do you have trouble getting the drives to mount or working between multiple computers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

HAvent done it myself but check this out :
    http://www.wrightthisway.com/Articles/000154.html - iPod Shuffle RAID

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I use mine as a data drive, and so far I've had no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

qz wrote:
    I use mine as a data drive, and so far I've had no probs.

Mine being a...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Sorry, regular 20gig iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I use a Creative MuVo TX 256MB, as well as the removable disk mode of my Zen Micro 5GB for data storage quite often - no issues with both of them, but I only have a need to transfer data between Windows XP and 2K machines at any point, so there are no issues with drivers or a need to mount the drives manually (as both are USB Mass Storage class compliant).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

iRiver H10 works well, 5G and charges from the USB port, no messing with software, works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Any one use their iPod or iShuffle or indeed any MP3 player as a data drive on a PC. Any issues with it? I wondering do you have trouble getting the drives to mount or working between multiple computers.

Once you enable disc use it acts just like a regular flash drive, and in iTunes you can choose how much space to allocate to music, and how much to use for data.
    If the other computer has iTunes installed you just need to make sure that you click 'No' when it asks if you want to link the iPod to a new computer and erase its music, it'll appear like a regular flash drive in My Computer (For Win) or on the desktop (Mac). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

sounds like a lot of grief, for what non crippled MP3 player users take for granted. I particularly like the bit about it wanting to erase all of your music when connected to a different PC, mental note never buy drm encumbered mp3 device for anyone that I don't want an "all my music is gone" type conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

fenris wrote:
    sounds like a lot of grief, for what non crippled MP3 player users take for granted. I particularly like the bit about it wanting to erase all of your music when connected to a different PC, mental note never buy drm encumbered mp3 device for anyone that I don't want an "all my music is gone" type conversation.

I'm with you there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I use my 4GB Creative MuVo as a data drive. Does not need any additional drivers. Just comes up as a removable drive. Never had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

20GB iRiver H320, no drivers needed to be used as data drive and no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Gareth2303

I use my Philips HD220 20gb MP3 playa as a harddrive with no problems...But that wasn't the question you asked...

The Ipod Shuffley can be used as a data drive from the word go, files can be dragged and dropped into it...But...you can't drag and drop songs onto it for listening, you need to use itunes for that...So....

Data: DRAG AND DROP
    Songs: Use Itunes :(

Advertisement