Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a reminder about the big fights coming up .

• 09-07-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭

This thread is to be used for information about upcoming fights . When posting about a fight please give the date the time and the tv channel the fight will be on . Feel free to give brief opinions and information about a fight but if the post will be long its best to start a new thread .

Sunday 17 July , from 1 am , Sky Sports 1 :
    Brian Magee V Vitali Tsypko ( for European Super Middleweight title and IBF Super Middleweight title Eliminater , Magee 23-1-0 (16 Ko's)-Tsypko 15-0-0 (9 Ko's) )

Oscar Larios V Wayne McCullough (WBC Super Bantanweight title , Larios 55-3-1 (35 Ko's)-McCullough 27-5-0 (18 Ko's)

Bernard Hopkins V Jermain Taylor(for undisputed World Middleweight title , Hopkins 46-2-1 (32 Ko's)-Taylor 23-0-0 (17 Ko's) )

3 great fights there , I think it will be Magee , Larios and Hopkins with the wins although all could go either way . All fights are on Sky Sports 1 .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

For anyone with ITV1, on Saturday night you can see:

Amir Kahn (pro debut) vs David Bailey (3-4-0)

Danny Williams (33-4-0) vs Matt Skelton (16-0-0)

The show starts at 9:15pm. It's in the tv listings as 'Amir Kahn's first fight' or something. No pressure at all Amir ;)

Channel: Sky Sports 1
    Time: 10pm
    When: Friday 15th

IBF Light-Middleweight title
    Kassim Ouma v Roman Karmazin

This fight is actually taking place in Vegas on Thursday night, so avoid boxing sites if you don't want to know the result before watching. Oh and if they are going to show some of the undercard we might get to see:

Marco A. Rubio vs David Toribio (154)

I've got a lot of time on my hands, hence the boldification...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Geiger wrote:
    For anyone with ITV1, on Saturday night you can see:

Amir Kahn (pro debut) vs David Bailey (3-4-0)

Danny Williams (33-4-0) vs Matt Skelton (16-0-0)

The show starts at 9:15pm. It's in the tv listings as 'Amir Kahn's first fight' or something. No pressure at all Amir ;)

I really wanted to see this event , but unfourtunatly :( .

This is a tuff test for Kahn in his first fight but I expect him to easily out point Bailey .

Im going to go for a night round TKO for Skelton in the heavweight fight . Skelton just keeps coming at ya and in the end I think Williams will take too many punches .

I see Kahn winning a UD also. All of Bailey's seven fights have gone to points. Still though, should be interesting to see how Kahn reacts under the pressure. For some reason I don't think his pro career will be as successful as a lot of people seem to think.

Geiger wrote:
    I see Kahn winning a UD also. All of Bailey's seven fights have gone to points. Still though, should be interesting to see how Kahn reacts under the pressure. For some reason I don't think his pro career will be as successful as a lot of people seem to think.

Ive looked back at Bailey's record and he's never faught a puncher , the biggest puncher he faught (beat him) has a record of 3 KO's in their 8 wins .
    Of the 3 men Bailey has beat none of them have ever won a fight by KO .
    Now im not exactly that big into amatuer boxing but if I remember right Kahn has a bit of pop in his punches and im going to change my prediction to a TKO in the 4th . The more I look at Bailey's record the more I think he is a fighter with a decent record for fighting a highly promising debutant but that he has been extremely carefully hand picked and that Kahn will become the first guy to stop him which of course will get lots of people even more interested in Kahn and he will be the new Hammed .

• Advertisement

Channel: Eurosport
    Time: 7pm
    When: Today (14th July)

Sinan Samil Sam vs Peter Okhello (heavyweight)

This fight took place on the 11th of June. You might wanna check it out because the WBC have ordered a fight between Sam and Samuel Peter (another heavyweight prospect). The winner of that fight would become their #1 contender to Vitali Klitschko (after he fights the winner of Barrett vs Rahman)

A late addition to the bill for the Hopkins V Taylor Sky event .

Howard Eastman ( 40-2-0 , 34 by KO) V Arthur Abraham (16-0-0 , 15 KO) for the WBA Intercontinental middleweight title . This is avery dangerous bout for Eastman to take as his comeback fight from his loss to Hopkins .

Danny Williams has pulled out of the British Heavyweight title fight between him and Matt Skelton . Williams position will be filled by Mark Krence (21-3-0 , 6 KO)
    For such a late withdrawal from Williams this is a great replacement but I would favour Skelton to knock him out within the first 6 rounds .

23rd July

Super Featherweight Boris Sinitsin v Alex Arthur 12(rounds)
    ~ Referee: Giuseppe Quartarone | Judge: Axel Zielke | Judge: Freddy Rafn Christensen | Judge: Jean-Francois Toupin ~

European (EBU) Super Featherweight Title
    Welterweight Colin McNeil v Taz Jones 10(rounds)
    British Welterweight Title Eliminator

Light Middleweight Mehrdud Takaloo v Delroy Mellis 8(rounds)

Martin Gillick v ? 0(undecided rounds)
    Gillick's pro debut.

a bit messy because its copied and pasted but does anyone know what channel this card is being shown on , ITV ?

It's being shown live on ITV2, show starts at 9:20pm.

Geiger wrote:
    It's being shown live on ITV2, show starts at 9:20pm.

any chance you could post up the results aswell as a description of the Sinitsin V Arthur fight ?

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    any chance you could post up the results aswell as a description of the Sinitsin V Arthur fight ?

Sure, no problem. Should be a good fight, I'll be cheering for Arthur.

Geiger wrote:
    Sure, no problem. Should be a good fight, I'll be cheering for Arthur.

Ya im a fan of Arthur the way he's changed everything around since his loss to Gomez is amazing , he's now got a great defence aswell as very good power and a brilliant ability to pick his shots .

I think he will knock out Sinitsin .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Moved and stickied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

Is the Jeff lacy Robin Reid fight on anywhere?

snakeater wrote:
    Is the Jeff lacy Robin Reid fight on anywhere?

Yep, sure is. It's being shown live on Sky Sports 1 at 2am, on Sunday the 7th of August.

Sky are also showing Clinton Woods v Julio Gonzalez for the IBF light heavyweight title live on September 9th. Show starts at 10pm.

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think it is about time Wayne McCullough gave up for his own safety and if he doesn't want to quit, he should be banned from boxing

walshb wrote:
    I think it is about time Wayne McCullough gave up for his own safety and if he doesn't want to quit, he should be banned from boxing

The thing is at the time of his stoppage he seemed fine and was talking fine and Larios physically looked worse (on the face) . You can't just ban a fighter because it seems he always takes way too many punches .
    His skull is twice as thick as a normal person , but if he kept fighting like that he would have serious problems . I don't beleive he will have any other fights like that if he kept fighting at this weight .

I just think it wouldn't be right to stop the man fighting if he seems perfectly fine . (thats stopped in a career sense not in one fight , if a fighter takes too many punches in a fight and they aren't competitve the fight should be stopped)

Big ears, him seeming fine is not the point. How fine do you think he was 24hrs later. That's when the full extent of the beating begins to take effect. Look this is not the first time the guy has taken far too much unnecessary pounishment. His amateur career was also as tough as hell. That's the guys style, he takes a couple to land a couple. It's not as if he has a punchers chance either, he hasn't got a KO punch and he usually goes the full distance in his fights. My god the Harrison fight was an absolute disgrace, a criminal act in my opinion and I know for a fact that the last person to admit they are thru as a fighter, is the fighter himself. They have to be looked after and told enough is enough. Wayne's wife who was his manager for the Harrison fight refused to pull him during it, despite pleas from Frank Warren...now what hope has the poor guy got when his own wife allows it to continue....a little compassion, mercy and advice is what Wayne needs not more pointless beatings inside the ring...the man still has to live his life after fighting.....give hima chance for crying out loud....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watching that fight, who in their right mind thought he was doing well enough to carry on. the man took a pounding to his head. how he stayed up is beyond me but the right decision was taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I know a lot of yous probably think its stupid but some off Irelands hottest prospects are on show this Saturday in the National Stadium at 3pm. Its the Irish Champions box-offs for 13 & 14 year olds. For further details go to www.iaba.ie

• Advertisement

walshb wrote:
    Big ears, him seeming fine is not the point. How fine do you think he was 24hrs later.

Im well aware of that but judging how bad someone is going to be is impossible , making it impossible to judge the right time to stop a fight such as that . It will always be considered too late by some and too early by others . It was the right decision to stop the fight (IMO) even though a part of me wished he could have finnished . But what im talking about is the long run , the docters are the ones who should decide if he's fit to fight and as of this moment I see no reason to have him banned should he wish to continue .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hi Guys new on boards.ie

McCullough, the doc was right McCollough was well out of his depth and just not defending himself. v It pains me to say that cos he's been our best pro boxer since McGuigan

PS can u get ITV2 in dublin?

efb wrote:
    Hi Guys new on boards.ie

McCullough, the doc was right McCollough was well out of his depth and just not defending himself. v It pains me to say that cos he's been our best pro boxer since McGuigan

PS can u get ITV2 in dublin?

You have forgotten about Collins , he was a better fighter than Wayne , the thing thats freaky about wayne is that during that fight he was playing posom :eek: trying to draw Larios in by taking punches that would knock most guys out .

Forget all this doctor crap. Wayne already was told by British doctors he should retire, so he went to the States and got the all clear. If it was left up to doctors to decide, we'd have guys in their 60's fighting because there is always a certain amount of doctors that will conflict with other doctors. Big ears, do you personally believe he should retire for his own safety, because I think any half educated decent person can see he's been hurt seriously every time he gets in the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

As much as I would have loved to see him beat Larios I think now is the time to call it a day. I think he is a real true warrior & a great guy but I would not like to see him do serious damage to himself. Because he loves the sport so much - he should maybe get involved in coaching or managing or something.

I would love to see him get back involved with amateur boxing, he was a real ambassator to it as his relentless training was his thing. I have heard stories that when he was in training camps with the Irish teams that the coaches used to have to tell him to slow his training down as he was reaching his peak 2 weeks before anybody else would because of his training. Also when the coaches would tell him to take the morning run off - he would go out at 5am & do his run & be back in bed so nobody would know...... a total animal for the training.

MBC, He certainly was one of the fittest fighters of all time. I really admired that about him and loved watching him in the amateurs because he was very exciting. Wayne was only really getting warmed up in the 3rd round and that's why his style was suited to the pro's. His only great flaw, was his lack of punch power. This is so essential in the pro's. Even if you do not have one punck KO power, you still need to have a damaging punch. Wayne didn't and that's why most of his fights went the full distance and that's why he took so much more punishment. As for the myths about about his training, I would well believe because I was told by guys who were in the Irish camp with him, that he used to leave them trailing in the runs they went on. Apparently he thought their pace was too slow......amazing guy, it would be tragic if he was enticed back to the ring now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Anyway the next big fight Lacey -v- Reid with the winner set to fight the talented but under untilised Calzaghe. Appt Warren is trying to get Magee to Fight him on his next cardiff card featuring Amir Khan

walshb wrote:
    Big ears, do you personally believe he should retire for his own safety,

I beleive it would be in his nest interest to retire but I feel the only people that should be able to ban him is the doctors after all they are meant to be qualified to determine wheather he can or not .Yes there is conflicting arguments from docters but Wayne did get quite a lot doctors to approve him be allowed to fight . Im fine with a qualified doctors decision be it yes or no , after all its their job .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭MikeTyson

Hey every1 theres a show on tonite on rte 2 called the fite its not a proper boxing fite but its about joe frazier and ali. trust me its gonna be good... the thrilla in manilla with the gorilla haha i luv that phrase

• Advertisement

Yeh watched that on RTE2, class it was. God, that fight was so brutal...possibly the toughest fight in history....

Advertisement