Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unix emulator

• 21-06-2001 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I am in dire need of a Unix emulator.
    Have a client who needs to run a Unix app on a Win2k Pro machine.
    Quite honestly I know bugger all about Unix, so I can do with some help!
    Acvcording to the company that sells the app, it should be an emulator for Unix Open Server (whatever that might be...)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Well it might work with Cygwin (search for it on google) but I don't know that much about Cygwin. It's worth a look regardless.

As I have seperate Linux and Win2k boxes, I don't need to worry about it! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

you could try vmware - www.vmware.com
    it's a virtual machine - so you could run linux inside nt for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 teac!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mayhem#:
    Lads,
    </font>

If you need to run a UNIX app, I would suggest installing a UNIX OS. However, it is possible to still remotely run this application and in some cases, run it remotely on the UNIX machine with the output directed to the Win2k Machine.

If the "UNIX" application runs on Linux, then something like this is recommended:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

You can run X-Windows Sessions on Windows machines. X-Windows is the GUI interface Linux uses. There are plenty of Applications out there that do this.

Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Acvcording to the company that sells the app, it should be an emulator for Unix Open Server (whatever that might be...)
    </font>

Open Server... That sounds like SCO.
    You may find it somewhat difficult finding a SCO emulator for w2k, let alone on another 'NIX
    Depending on this product, chances are it will depend on SCO specific system calls.
    You may well have to get yourself a SCO box, If you need this App.

On the other hand, I may have completly missunderstood "Open Server" :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Lads,

Quite honestly I know bugger all about Unix, so I can do with some help!

</font>

This isn't exactly what you want, but it may be an option.

At work we use a hell of a lot of unix systems, but we use Win2k Pro on our laptops. To "run" (or more technically, display) unix apps on our windows desktop, we use translation software called Exceed. You still need a unix server configured with x-windows, though. The Exceed software runs on the win2k machine and translates x-windows instructions into win2k instructions.

I am not overly sure there is such a thing as a unix emulator. It is most usually done the other way around (i.e. a windows emulator on unix).

TD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

All Exceed does is let you run your X apps, eg xterms, netscape, exmh, on your windows box via the X server that it comes with. You still need the unix box.

What mayhem asked for was an emulator to run his app on the win2k box.

Depending on what distro the app is for, vmware would be the next best thing, as said above, unless he has a seperate box running the unix app.

VNC will only let him remotely run the app, so he might as well use an X win server like exceed or X win32 in that case.

Vmware is most likely your best bet.

With cygwin you'd have to have the source and try and port it over.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ronin:
    All Exceed does is let you run your X apps, eg xterms, netscape, exmh, on your windows box via the X server that it comes with. You still need the unix box. </font>

Well, I DID say this was not EXACTLY what he wants. And I DID say that he still needs a unix box. :-)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Depending on what distro the app is for, vmware would be the next best thing, as said above, unless he has a seperate box running the unix app.
    </font>

How do we know it is a Linux App? Vmware emulates hardware, it still needs an operating system to run within it. If he has the operating system why not install this on real hardware as opposed to "virtual" hardware? Open Server does sound like SCO, not Linux.

TD

I never meantion linux in my post smile.gif. I kept saying unix.

Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

but i dont think vmware supports sco

so mayhem first question what version of linux / unix is required ?

True,

But if source is available he might be able to compile on one of the guest os's that are supported via vmware..

Ro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

If the app isn't graphical, porting and recompilation might be the best option - presuming you have access to the source code, that is. Most command line apps will compile and run under NT with a bit of work.

K

Advertisement