Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest goal you've ever seen...

• 09-07-2005 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what you fans consider the Greatest Goal you've ever seen.

Here's my offering: Carlos Alberto's goal -v- Italy in the final of the 1970 World Cup. I'm a little biased, as I consider them the greatest ever team. To me it had it all; great build-up, skill, improv genius, off the ball-running, and an emphatic finish!

Try and post a link to a clip of your choice if possible. Here's the Carlos Alberto goal -

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/broadband/m/go.php//06/broadband/player/cv?key=/classic/gotc/goal/11_alberto/&lg=en

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I dont have a link, but for my money, Denis Bergkamps goal against Newcastle in March 2002, where he turned a defender and poked it hope in one fluid motion, is the best I have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dave Rogers in Tolka Park last year against Hajduk Split.

First time Volley from thirty yards, by a defender, at a stage of the game that meant the opposition would have to score at least twice in fifteen minutes or so to progress in the Champions League.

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/video.php?yearid=2004

It is the fourth goal listed on that page.

May not be the best goal ever scored, but it is the best one I have seen scored live, with me actually in the stadium. I was in the stand in the opposite end of the grand, and it was like slow motion when the ball was coming down to him, he struck it so sweetly. I nearly passed out from the screaming I was doing.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

gimmick wrote:
    I dont have a link, but for my money, Denis Bergkamps goal against Newcastle in March 2002, where he turned a defender and poked it hope in one fluid motion, is the best I have ever seen.
    yeah, that was a goal of sheer individual brilliance.
    Didnt he pull off the same type goal before / after though in an international competition? Cant remember if it was the EC or WC but it was when he was playing the other direction on the pitch due to TV coverage.

The one that springs to mind at the moment is legend Marco Van Basten in 1988 EC (I think against Russia?) with that crazy volley from a really tight angle.
    I havent seen it in a while, but it's just so clear in my mind.
    Brilliant.

(PS.. great post this. Look forward to reading it!)

Are you talking about the one he scored against Argentina in WC2004USA?

edit :/Jesus, it was actually 1998.

That was brilliant, I'll see if I can find a link to it, should be on that Fifa Yahoo site.

edit:/Yeah, found a link, now I just need to find out how to post it.

edit2:/ You'll find it on the same link as the first goal in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

seansouth wrote:
    Are you talking about the one he scored against Argentina in WC2004USA?

edit :/Jesus, it was actually 1998.

That was brilliant, I'll see if I can find a link to it, should be on that Fifa Yahoo site.

edit:/Yeah, found a link, now I just need to find out how to post it.

yeah, i think thats the one. (1998?? Yikes!! Can't believe its that long ago!)
    I'm on dialup here, but have broadband ordered. Cant wait to get to have a good look at all the links about to be posted up here! :D
    That Dave Rogers goal was amazing also. I remember catching it on the TV3 sports roundup that night and being in desbelief over it (WTF?? This is League of Ireland??). Must have been brilliant to experience seeing such a goal live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Eddie Gormley VS Sligo from the chipper van q according to the legend but it was actually just inside the half way line.

None of this Beckham slow lob crap from Eddie , keeper kicked it ou Osam on halfway line headed it down Eddie volleyed it straight in. Oddly my 2nd best goal ever was also in that game i let Mr hawkins describe it :D
    I scored against Sligo a few years ago for Pats. I caught the ball on the volley from the edge of the area and it went in off the bar, which looked fairly spectacular. I finished second in goal of the season that year. Five minutes later Eddie Gormley (aka the Goodyear blimp) scored from the halfway line and that won the goal of the season. I haven’t scored too many good ones here though (that’s what you think. The third in a 3-2 win against rovers wasn’t too bad, actually I wouldn’t have cared if it went in off his arse)

No links to footgae as RTE cameraman at the time missed Eddies as it was too fast :rolleyes:

In real football Carlos Albertos the perfect team goal, recall one from Scholes similar in build up and finish many years ago.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah damn that was one fine goal! Pity that clip doesn't have the insane pass up to him, like from the Dutch corner flag up to him, excellent stuff! :D

I think the other goal referred to earlier was against Newcastle, and the defender turned was our very own Andy O'Brien, now with Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My favourite goal ever was by Matthias Almeyda for Lazio against Sturm Graz (I think). Lazio had a corner which was met at the near post by a Graz defender and headed long down the pitch. Coming steaming in from the centre circle was Almeyda who hit it on the full volley with unbelievable power and swerve. It ended up right in the top corner.

I went looking for a link, but I couldn't find one. If anybody does, its well worth posting up. It was in the Champions League group stages a few years back. I also rated Tony Yeboah's goal for Leeds against Liverpool in the mid-90's very highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'll only mention goals I actually saw live, there's way too many to chose from obviously. The one goal that had me jumping in disbelief infront of the telly was George Weah's solo effort versus Verona from AC Milan's own penalty box. Unbelievable goal from a genius of a player. Ye don't see it replayed that often but holy jebus that was off the hook.

I remember van Basten's volley in the 88 Euro Final well and Dasaev the USSR keeper doing a Pagliuca/Houghton 94 'effort' at saving it. Superb goal.

Also Mendieta's volley straight from a corner for Valencia v Barcelona, perfect volley, stunning goal.

Same teams...different game...Rivaldo's bicycle kick for his hat-trick and thus securing a Champions League spot for Barca. They don't get much better than that.

[edit] here's a link to some goals...
    Great volleys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Diego Maradonna's goal against England, not the hand of god. The dribble of god!

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Probably Giggs' goal against Arsenal in the '99 FA Cup semi-final replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Carlos Alberto in first place for me,

Diego's against Engerland,

Mark Hughes against Oldham in the cup semi final in third.

Best goal I've ever seen live is the Glen Crowe goal from the half way line a couple of seasons back.

Notable mentions for Cantona against Arsenal and Wimbledon.

I was asked to post this

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/3soccer.html

The third goal is worth amention at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Diego Maradona vs England. Different class, DIFFERENT CLASS!!!!! (great commentary from Jimmy)

Best goal Ive seen live was probably Andy Cole vs Coventry in 1999(very like Cantonas goal) or else

Neal Horgan vs Derry City 2002(Caught it perfect on the half volley into the top-right hand corner). :eek:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

On telly: Giggs versus Arsenal in the FA cup semi final 1999, considering that United were very much up against it with 10 men on the pitch and Arsenal were piling on the pressure. He still managed to beat five or six Arsenal players and hammered the ball into the net meaning that United's treble dream was very much alive. Biggest and best goal I've ever seen on telly.

Best goal I've ever seen live was Hagi against Ireland in Lansdowne in 1997? Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The goal closest to my heart is Ole's goal in the CL final.

But the best goal I've ever seen is Bergkamp's verus Newcastle.
    I really like team goals and team efforts and stuff, but that goal was just perfection, utter perfection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Van Basten's volley in the Euro '88 final for me. Awesome strike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ziggy67 wrote:
    Maradona's mazy dribble V England Mexico 86 - absolute genius from the greatest player of all time!
    Diego Maradona vs England.!
    emmo wrote:
    Diego Maradonna's goal against England

Great run and dribble.
    Except Maradona didn't score.
    Terry Butcher puts it into his own net !

look again.

My own choice is Carlos Alberto in 1970

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

seansouth wrote:

First time Volley from thirty yards, by a defender, at a stage of the game that meant the opposition would have to score at least twice in fifteen minutes or so to progress in the Champions League.

May not be the best goal ever scored, but it is the best one I have seen scored live, with me actually in the stadium. I was in the stand in the opposite end of the grand, and it was like slow motion when the ball was coming down to him, he struck it so sweetly. I nearly passed out from the screaming I was doing.

jesus what a night!! the comentator for one of the radio stations went mental when it went it, gas stuff, its on the shels site somewhere!

Mine has to be the same as ardents though, VanBastens volley in '88, so original it gets it for me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

There have been many great goals, strikes, passing movements, etc down through the years. You cant beat many of those from Brazil in 1970 or even from Zico, Nelinho, Dirceu and their ilk in the 1980's. Goals where the ball bent a full 2 metres in the air ad nestled in the far corner with the keeper left scratching his head thinking wtf!

One goal that many of you may not have seen or remember is a goal scored by Cannigia for Argentina against Brazil, in 1990 WC I think. The goal won the game 1-0, but the remarkable thing about the goal was the assist. Maradona was the provider and sucked in about 8 Brazillians with his magic before laying off a perfact pass to Cannigia who chipped the keeper. A brilliant goal with top-class opposition and well worth the look if its out there.

I think a great goal must always be judged by the opposition, unless its just one of those wonder strikes. For example, Maradona's dribble goal against England was brilliant, except that half the English defence were absolutely knackered at that stage and couldnt keep up with Diego, never mind tackle him. And a great goal has to beat a world class keeper. That rates the Van Basten goal in 1988 highly. I always thought that he couldnt have really meant it but he really did, and the keeper could not save that impossible shot. What a goal.

As for enjoyment out of a goal. Ray Houghton's against England will do me. What a goal, well worth 700 hundred years of pain (well, maybe not!).

Respider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

redspider wrote:

As for enjoyment out of a goal. Ray Houghton's against England will do me. What a goal, well worth 700 hundred years of pain (well, maybe not!).

Respider

nice goal, but i thought his one against italy in '94 was the cheese!

ziggy67 wrote:
    I looked again & i have to disagree with you. The best angle to see it from is behind the goal. It looks from there that Butcher doesn't connect with the ball. It's not clearcut though.

I agree it's not clearcut but from the trajectory Butcher is more likely to have struck it than not. He also got his foot in beteween Maradona and the ball.

To say it was an own goal competely demotes the thing and that wouldn't be a happy ending so everybody sees what they want to see and says Maradona scored.

then again, maybe he did.

redspider wrote:
    One goal that many of you may not have seen or remember is a goal scored by Cannigia for Argentina against Brazil, in 1990 WC I think. The goal won the game 1-0, but the remarkable thing about the goal was the assist. Maradona was the provider and sucked in about 8 Brazillians with his magic before laying off a perfact pass to Cannigia who chipped the keeper. A brilliant goal with top-class opposition and well worth the look if its out there.

I was at the match. it was a sucker punch goal which didn't really liven up a boring game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Dennis Bergkamp, v Newcastle March 2002
    St. Jame's Park

or

Kanu, v Middlesbrough 1999
    Riverside Stadium

Sheer speed of thought combined with adept footwork and precise working-out of the angles in both cases. Poetry in motion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

redspider wrote:

Was it the little scoop from a near-standing position?

The Almeyda and Weah goals mentioned earlier are definitely among my favourites.

• Advertisement

Rod Wallace got a cracker of a goal a few years back where he pretty much ran it from the half way line. I'm pretty sure it won goal of the season that year or at least top three.Anybody know who it was against or know where to get a clip of it? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

It was against Spurs on the last day of the season. Cant remember the year though, the game finished 2-0.

Thanks Jivin - Will go searching... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Originally posted by Pal
    Great run and dribble.
    Except Maradona didn't score.
    Terry Butcher puts it into his own net !

look again.

I saw the game/goal live at the time. I have seen it dozens of times since and every time I've seen it I thought Diego got his toe to the ball before Butcher. I'm sorry but you're wrong.

look again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I finally found a (rather poor quality) video of the Almeyda goal. It wasn't a corner after all, but a cross.

http://www.sportnik.com/getfile.php3?id=596105

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

seansouth wrote:

spot on :)

I can remember thinking as he lined up the shot, how perfect would this be if he scored? Dave Rogers, the cult hero of the team, a central defender scoring with absolute perfect timing and on the volley from outside the box in the most memorable goal we've ever scored. Can't believe he put it away.

For sheer technique, technical brilliance and even thinking of trying it however Tony Sheridan v Pats in '96 was far, far better. So much so it genuinley deserves to be mentioned in a thread like this, I don't care what anyone says about LOI or whatever, the opposition didn't matter as nobody in the world would have stopped that goal, it was all about Sheros invidual brilliance. There was a link to it but it's gone now and the video wasn't great quality, if I find one I'll post it.

• Advertisement

I saw the game/goal live at the time. I have seen it dozens of times since and every time I've seen it I thought Diego got his toe to the ball before Butcher. I'm sorry but you're wrong.

look again ;)

maybe . but....

it would make me so happy if Terry "Celtic, don't you just hate em so much" Butcher did score one of the most famous goals in his own net.

I remember him nutting one into the Rangers net in an OF game about 1989. feckin hilarious.

so you see, I'm extremely biased. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Pal wrote:
    I was at the match. it was a sucker punch goal which didn't really liven up a boring game.

The game was like a game of chess, two sides not wanting to give anything away to their old enemy and chances were far and few between. I have it on video but I haven't watched it in a while. Good that you got to see it. Argentina of course being more physical and slowing the game down, breaking play up and being negative. It was a sucker punch goal alright, I forget which minute it was scored in but even at that moment it looked as if it would win the game.

It was a brilliant goal and well worth a look at again as the assist was as good as you will will see (and not against the likes of Middlesboro) and the finish was a deft one. Not one Brazillian player could be blamed for the goal. A classic football moment.

The dribbling goal by Maradona against England was definitely a goal by Diego and not Butcher. I've watched it in slow-mo and up close and its Diego's foot. Butcher thought he had the ball though and nearly made a brilliant tackle.

Redspider

redspider wrote:
    It was a sucker punch goal alright, I forget which minute it was scored in but even at that moment it looked as if it would win the game.

Late in the game I remember. Maybe only 15 mins left.
    it was so hot that the match was walking pace
    Argentina defended all day.
    Maradona jinked a bit in the middle and played Caniggia through.
    Keeper half rounded and buried.
    one shot all day. one nil.
    Brazil threw the house at them.
    Argentina defended some more.

99% of the del alpi stadium that day were Brazil fans.
    The girls were doing the rumba dancing outside in the sun beforehand.
    the biggest flag ever unveiled before kickoff.
    it took up the whole main stand !
    The brazil fans took it into the ground in a series of tent bags.
    unreal devotion.
    recall the gorgeous amazon woman beside me on the tram crying afterwards.
    had to giggle.
    somebody tell her it's only a game :)

the next day it was Genoa for Ireland v Romania.

That was some trip Italia 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

paulo di canios karate kid goal has to get a mention and roberto carlos free kick from 30 yards against france bending the ball around the wall it looked like it was heading for the corner flag but it curled inside the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

DB10 vs Newcastle 2002

And the 2002 WC for Holland vs Argentina

Legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Some quality goals mentioned.

Here are some i found:

Mendieta's volley for Valencia against Barcelona (1.7mb, Rar file)
    Roberto Carlos' screamer from the touchline (2.7mb, Rar file)
    Some African keeper (3.7mb, Rar file)

The keeper one is like one you would score in fifa/pes to humiliate your mate :)

I've never seen that Roberto Carlos goal before - Outrageous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Not sure of the best I ever saw. Maradona's vs England in WC86 sure was very special. I also remember a spectacular overhead goal from Rivaldo for Barca vs Valencia on the final day of the La Liga season 2000-01. If memory serves, Barca had to win to qualify for Europe the following season and he scored with only a couple of minutes remaining to seal a 3-2 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I remember seeing this goal on MoTD when they were doing the cup round ups a couple of years back - fantastic goal.

The bicycle kick to beat all others

I've seen that Rivaldo goal before; the overhead. It's like Giggs' goal in the '99 FA Cup Semi-final, a great goal, but the situation in which it was scored and what it meant makes it extra special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I found that Rivaldo goal here. The picture is very small but you can still make it out. Btw, he scored a hat-trick that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

what about Matt le Tissier's goal against newcastle as well i think, flicked over two players then went like he was going to blast it home, but just side footed it past the keeper. what a player!!!

Boro wrote:
    I remember seeing this goal on MoTD when they were doing the cup round ups a couple of years back - fantastic goal.

The bicycle kick to beat all others

That went on to get Goal of the Season. Think it was 96/97.
    Twas in the 3rd Rd against Barnsley at Loftus Rd wasn't it?
    I'm not absolutely certain. Magnificent goal though.
    thebhoy wrote:
    what about Matt le Tissier's goal against newcastle as well i think, flicked over two players then went like he was going to blast it home, but just side footed it past the keeper. what a player!!!

Yeah, good goal, but... He has since admitted that he TRIED to blast it at the end, but mis-hit it! He scored some absolute crackers though;
    the freekick against Blackburn, and the last minute winner in the last Premiership game at the Dell against my own beloved Arsenal, spring to mind.

im shocked no body mentioned rooneys recent goal v newcastle. sheer magnificent.

others i love include.....

the dribble of god 1986

kanus v deportivo 2000 what a dummy!!!

henrys v united 2000 at highbury "sheeeeeer claus!! tallllentid goal from a tallllentid fuutbauler " as andy gray said :)

henrys (for france) v denmark 2000

shearer v everton 2002 roy of the rovers stuff similar to rooneys

yeboah v liverpool (i think) 1995 screamer

bergkamp v leicester 1997

bergkamp (for holland) v argentina 1998

bergkamp v bayer leverkusen 2002

bergkamp v newcastle 2002

patrik berger v charlton 2004

zidane for real v bayer leverkusen 2002.

maniche for portugal v holland 2004

i have to say tho broke my heart it did Batistutas v arsenal at wembley 1999

I can't believe you included so many Arsenal goals (and a number of DB10 classics as well) and omitted the amazing last minute goal up the North Bank against Sp*rs in 1996! Twas a helluva moment - And most impassioned Goal celebration ever. Incredible takedown, great strength, beautiful finish. Not to mention the pin-point cross from WWW to set it up as well.

Magic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement