Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest goal you've ever seen...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Had the luck of gettign a couple of tickets to see the CL final in Glasgow
    Had a great view of Zidans volly and the best thing about it was the reaction of the entire crowd we were surrounded by germans and everybody was on their feet. Was chatting to a few english lads after the game and they said they saw some gut get up and leave as this is the best he would ever see
    ( I reckon that was boll£$s )
    Good goal all the same.
    A good second would be a ronaldo goal V Sevilla last season he was one on one 4-1 up 90th minute the keeper stood back of the line in disgust of the defence as he just passed two in one move .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think that looking at the thread most people would class a "great" goal as having (A) Natural Genius (B) Technical excellence, and (C) a big stage to score it on!!

SebtheBum wrote:
    I can't believe you included so many Arsenal goals (and a number of DB10 classics as well) and omitted the amazing last minute goal up the North Bank against Sp*rs in 1996! Twas a helluva moment - And most impassioned Goal celebration ever. Incredible takedown, great strength, beautiful finish. Not to mention the pin-point cross from WWW to set it up as well.

Magic.

its not fresh in my mind. ill look for it on the centurions DVD tommorrow. he scored some beauts did DB10. there could almost be a competition for himself alone.

another poster mentioned diCanio back in 2000 v wimbledon. funnily enough the day before, rodney marsh had seen paul scholes score a beaut at valley parade v bradford and rodney said "GOAL OF THE SEASON, NOTHING WILL BEAT IT!!!!!" obviously paolo heard him and decided to have a say himself on the ,matter. both goals were equal beauts in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

its not fresh in my mind. ill look for it on the centurions DVD tommorrow. he scored some beauts did DB10. there could almost be a competition for himself alone.

True that. Same for Va-Va-Voom. Ok, my top3 for each :D :

Iceman:
    1. v Newcastle, St. James Park, 2002

2. v Tottenham, Highbury, 1996

3. v Argentina, Stade Velodrome (Marseilles), 1998

Vavavoom:
    1. v Manchester United, Highbury, 2000 ("That's one of the greatest goals I've seen on this ground. That's deliberate, that's majestic. Sheer brilliance, that's all you can say about that piece of football, from a talented, talented football. Absolutely unsaveable. Absolutely MAGNIFICENT" - Andy Gray)

2. v Roma, Stadio Olympico, 2002 (The free-kick that rounded off a "brilliant, champion's league hat-trick" in the words of Clive Tyldesley)

3. v Liverpool, Highbury, 2004

SebtheBum wrote:
    True that. Same for Va-Va-Voom. Ok, my top3 for each :D :

Iceman:
    1. v Newcastle, St. James Park, 2002

2. v Tottenham, Highbury, 1996

3. v Argentina, Stade Velodrome (Marseilles), 1998

Vavavoom:
    1. v Manchester United, Highbury, 2000 ("That's one of the greatest goals I've seen on this ground. That's deliberate, that's majestic. Sheer brilliance, that's all you can say about that piece of football, from a talented, talented football. Absolutely unsaveable. Absolutely MAGNIFICENT" - Andy Gray)

2. v Roma, Stadio Olympico, 2002 (The free-kick that rounded off a "brilliant, champion's league hat-trick" in the words of Clive Tyldesley)

3. v Liverpool, Highbury, 2004

iceman and va va voom!!! very good!

the whole hat trick va va voom scored v roma was brilliant. the second where he took it down and skinned it home with a tiny bit of room.

he left 3 (recent champions league winning) defenders on their ar*e at highbury last season too.

the quick free kicks v chelsea and villa some up his genius and i just cannot get enough of that stunner v man utd. majestic indeed.

robin van persie commented on arsenal mag (or at least i think it was the official arsenal magazine) how he watched centurions and he was left gasping at some of the icemans goals

Bump :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Rooney's against Newcastle last season at Old Trafford was magical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Best Goals seen on TV

George Weah has to surely be the best individual goal of all time, from one penalty box to another.

Van Basten's strike has to be best in a major championship final.

From a purely personal point of view, as I loved watching him play, do you remember Glenn Hoddle's reverse chip from about 18 yards out against Watford that caught in the angle where the nets used to hang?

I loved Maradonas two goals against England....erm because it was so funny. :)

Best Goal I seen live was Roberto Baggio, Juventus V Torino, 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

ziggy67 wrote:
    Either:

Van Bastens volley in the final of Euro 88- unstoppable shot from an impossible angle in a major final. Nuff said.

Maradona's mazy dribble V England Mexico 86 - absolute genius from the greatest player of all time!
    My sentiments exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Willem D wrote:
    My sentiments exactly.

Totally agree aswell sublime

Found this thread and said I'd try and revive it.

Maybe one of the mods could change title to great goal vids or something to that effect.

Here are two of Elliot's from earlier in the season...

http://www.latestgoals.net/upload/1owc2dt20gn4.zip

http://www.latestgoals.net/upload/94fdt8jn5clc.zip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Greatest goal I've ever seen live...

Robin Van Persie's second against Blackburn in last year's FA cup semifinal in Cardiff. Ok so nobody remembers it but I haven't been to that many matches. Either that or just for nostalgia I think Steve Staunton's against Portugal about 10 years ago in Lansdowne. I just trickled over the line from an acute angle. Strange goal, quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'll try post a tonne of videos of great goals on here tomorrow for your pleasure, but I'm out on the piss in a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Nice one JoeSoap, have a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Baggio against the czechs in 1990
    Hagi against columbia in 1994 ( how the fudge did he move that ball around in the air like that )
    Maradona of course, Alberto carlos
    Mustafa el hadji, the moroccan guy in 98 against norway

and about 10 goals from matt le tissier :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ruben Sosa back in the early 90s , keepers kick out was going out for a goal kick and just as it was crossing the line about 8 feet to the left of goal, Sosa managed to Volley it with his left into the far right corner. Its actually better than Van Bastens for the stunningness of it all and it was going for a goal kick and he just threw himself at it.

Andy Coles goals vs Newcastle on a cold frosty day, the perfect goal in that Schmeichel threw the ball on the break to Giggs who 1st time passed it to cantona who 1st time passed to Cole who 1st time buried it. Think Giggs was on left and hit it 1st time ti Cantona on right who hit to the edge of the box for Cole to smack it. Irc the footgae doesnt show the build up only the finish.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Not the greatest goal ever seen but for me the greatest Irish goal that I have ever seen was Ronnie Whelans goal against the Soviet Union in Euro '88. Absolutley fantastic goal and a very hard technique to get right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Kingp35 wrote:
    Absolutley fantastic goal and a very hard technique to get right.
    Yeah no matter how hard I try I just can't get the same amount of power with my shin! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Paddy McCourt's second wonder goal in the same match for Rovers earlier this season, anyone have a clip of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

SebtheBum wrote:
    I can't believe you included so many Arsenal goals (and a number of DB10 classics as well) and omitted the amazing last minute goal up the North Bank against Sp*rs in 1996! Twas a helluva moment - And most impassioned Goal celebration ever. Incredible takedown, great strength, beautiful finish. Not to mention the pin-point cross from WWW to set it up as well.

Magic.
    talkin of arsenal, what about Nayim
    (just ask any spurs fan, even tho i think it was sociedad he was playin for)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

dcarroll wrote:
    talkin of arsenal, what about Nayim
    (just ask any spurs fan, even tho i think it was sociedad he was playin for)

Nope it was Real Zaragoza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Roberto Carlos free kick in Le Tourneua against France in 97.
    The greatest free kick i've ever seen!
    The way the ball moved in the air and the sheer power.
    The face on Bartieze when it smacked of the post and in behind him at his near post priceless.

and

George Weah's unbelievable run an dribble from inside his own box and finish into the far corner for AC Milan was watching it live at the time an couldnt believe wat i saw, pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

KdjaC wrote:
    Ruben Sosa back in the early 90s , keepers kick out was going out for a goal kick and just as it was crossing the line about 8 feet to the left of goal, Sosa managed to Volley it with his left into the far right corner. Its actually better than Van Bastens for the stunningness of it all and it was going for a goal kick and he just threw himself at it.

Andy Coles goals vs Newcastle on a cold frosty day, the perfect goal in that Schmeichel threw the ball on the break to Giggs who 1st time passed it to cantona who 1st time passed to Cole who 1st time buried it. Think Giggs was on left and hit it 1st time ti Cantona on right who hit to the edge of the box for Cole to smack it. Irc the footgae doesnt show the build up only the finish.

kdjac

Anyone have video's of these two goals? Would love to see Sosa's goal again, remember seeing iton channel 4 all those years ago when they did Italian soccer (think it may have been live).

97mb Zipped File

NB - Requires DivX Plug-In

Goals included:
    • Ronaldo - Barcelona vs Compostela
    • Ferenc Puskas - Hungary vs England
    • Phil Clarkson - Blackpool vs Northampton
    • Dean Saunders - Sheffield United vs Port Vale*
    • George Best - Northern Ireland vs England
    • David Beckham - Man Utd vs Wimbledon
    • Rivaldo - Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid*
    • George Best - Man Utd vs Tottenham
    • Gary Crosby - Nottm Forest vs Man City
    • Dion Dublin - Coventry vs Newcastle United
    • Robbie Keane - Tottenham vs Birmingham
    • Karel Poborsky - Czech Republic vs Portugal
    • Ronaldinho - Brazil vs England
    • Rafael van der Vaart - Ajax vs Feyenoord
    • Gianfranco Zola - Chelsea vs Norwich*
    • Paulo Di Canio - West Ham vs Liverpool
    • Pananka - Czechoslovakia vs West Germany
    • John Barnes - England vs Brazil
    • Trevor Sinclair - QPR vs Barnsley*
    • Bobby Charlton - Man Utd vs Tottenham
    • Alan Mullery - Fulham vs Leicester*
    • Glenn Hoddle - Tottenham vs Nootm Forest
    • Tony Yeboah - Leeds vs Wimbledon*
    • Clarence Seedorf - Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid
    • Jay Jay Okocha - PSG vs Bordeaux*
    • Darren Anderton - Tottenham vs Leeds
    • Alan Shearer - Newcastle vs Everton
    • Thierry Henry - Arsenal vs Man Utd
    • Gaizka Mendieta - Valencia vs Barcelona*
    • Roberto Carlos 90 second compilation
    • Paul Gascoigne - Tottenham vs Arsenal
    • Johnny Metgod - Nottm Forest vs West Ham
    • Jay Jay Okocha - Bolton vs Aston Villa
    • David Beckham - England vs Greece
    • Michael Tarnat - Bayern Munich vs Duisberg*
    • Zlatan Ibrahimovic - Ajax*
    • Lee Trundle - Swansea
    • Jay Jay Okocha - Eintracht Frankfurt vs Karlsruhe
    • Glenn Hoddle - Tottenham vs Man Utd*
    • Wayne Hatswell - Forest Green vs Morecambe (Best Own-Goal Ever)
    • Ricky Villa - Tottenham vs Man City
    • Frank Worthington - Bolton vs Ipswich Town
    • Glenn Hoddle - Tottenham vs Watford
    • Zinedine Zidane - Real Madrid vs Bayer Leverkusen
    • Carlos Alberto - Brazil vs Italy
    • Michael Owen - England vs Argentina
    • Pele - Brazil vs Sweden
    • Paul Gascoigne - England vs Scotland
    • Archie Gemmill - Scotland vs Holland
    • Ryan Giggs - Man Utd vs Arsenal
    • Diego Maradonna - Argentina vs England
    • Marco van Basten - Holland vs USSR
    • George Weah - Milan vs Verona

I'll post a link to the .zip file as soon as it finishes uploading, but if anyone wants a link to any of the goals on their own just let me know. The ones with * beside them are personal favourites, well worth a look if you haven't seen them!

[edit] - Part One - http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QHSLBS59K9SY3IPFX8PRU8MJ7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Cool! Cheers MrJoeSoap. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Safri vs Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Sounds excellent, cheers mr joe soap

kensutz wrote:
    Safri vs Newcastle

Oh that goal was just unreal. One of the best long distance strikes I've ever seen.

Also Mark van Bommel for the Dutch against England a few years back. And Ronnie Radford of course!

• Advertisement

I'd have to give that award to that Seedorf goal you have there. A stunner.

Its a classic alright but the keeper spoils it for me! Michael Tarnats free-kick for Bayern is prabably the ultimate free-kick for me, I even prefer it to Carlos' goal in the Tournoi.

Not sure how long this file is going to take to upload, probably an eternity with this connection but I'll let yiz know when its up.

Any sign of that .zip file, joe??

On the subject of freekicks, you should check this one for technique!! Dunno who it was, kinda like the one by porto the other week in the CL(powerful!!):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJGT9RKJ

Any sign of that .zip file, joe??

http://s65.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3QHSLBS59K9SY3IPFX8PRU8MJ7

Theres part one anyway, had to break it up into smaller parts to upload it. It can only be downloaded 25 times or for 7 days, whichever comes first... so first come first served!

Nice one, downloading now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    [*]Jay Jay Okocha - Eintracht Frankfurt vs Karlsruhe

I was at that game, missed the goal tho :(

Could be worse few mates are Leeds fan and when playing Liverpool a few years ago 2 of them went to the toilet when Yeboah scored.
    Rushed back as you do started cheering, asked the others who were there with mouths open and drool coming out if it was a good goal to which they replied "ah it was a tap in from 6 yards, deflected too". Didnt see the goal till they got back to Dublin :D

Moral of the story dont look at crazy hooligans knocking the bollix out of each other or go to the toilet during a game.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Liverpool 2-1 Juventus - goal by Luis Garcia 2-0 The best goal in the world, spectacular.

KdjaC wrote:
    I was at that game, missed the goal tho :(

There you are so...

http://rapidshare.de/files/7851451/VID0000_EDIT0037.AVI.html

Similar to (but not as good as) this effort by Zlatan for Ajax. What a goal.

http://rapidshare.de/files/7851853/VID0000_EDIT0035.AVI.html

Liverpool 2-1 Juventus - goal by Luis Garcia 2-0 The best goal in the world, spectacular.
    You wouldn't by any chance have a video of this, would you?? Been looking for it for some time!

Heres a cracker, Di Vaio against milan for juventus:
    http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3AXT0OKK6RZLU3JQ39FA98PAUX

• Advertisement

I have it.. its 6megs if you have gmail i think i could send it to you..

Dont have gmail, damn!

I have it.. its 6megs if you have gmail i think i could send it to you..

www.rapidshare.de
    www.putfile.com
    www.yousendit.com

Any of those will allow you upload it. The first two are the better.

Whats the story with those other goals, MrJoeSoap? Any requaests yourself?

I've split it up into 4 zip files, about 25mbs each. I'm just starting to upload the second one now (been in work all day).

If anyone has Pat McCourt's two goals against Bray (I think?) earlier in the season I'd love to see them. I know they were posted here but with search down it's impossible to find them. Also Weso's screamer from 35 yards this season, but I'm not holding much hope for finding that! Hopefully eL weekly will have a goal-of-the-season compilation Monday night.

I have McCourts on another computer, I'll upload them tomorrow hopefully. They're big files though.

Cheers for the link mjs.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

giggsy goal via arsenal in the facup semifinal a few years ago pure class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

MrJoeSoap any sign of part three o the magic goals file.
    i stand by my claim Roberto Carlos free kick is number 1 in my book. i still cant believe it even to this day that he even attempted it!

I'll upload it tonight, wasn't sure if the interest was still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement