Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.NET for FreeBSD?

• 27-06-2001 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭

This is interesting... an implementation of .NET's CLI and a port of C# for FreeBSD. MS have deliberately ignored Linux for this, as they regard the GPL as too restrictive.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    John Osborne: So you're favoring FreeBSD over Linux because of the licensing?

Stutz: We have chosen FreeBSD because of licensing issues, yes.
    </font>

As our company use BSD and Windows exclusively, I find this fascinating. You can read the whole article here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

According to this article Microsoft have actually used some of the FreeBSD code in their products.
    They also admit(??) that they are still using some FreeBSD servers in hotmail.

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 28-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Now this is interesting I knew about the CLI/CLR being ported to some Linux/UNIX variant but I didn't know which. But if you check out some of the links on that page you can get to download PERL.NET and PHYTON.NET now these I did not know about. It nakes me happy as I can write my vb.net code in windows complile to MSIL and then decompile to c# and then it work straigt away on BSD (as long as you dont use winforms/asp/ado) I will go out on a limb here and say by the time .NET goes retail you will at least have one or two extra platforms for .NET and probaly some support for ADO/ASP/WINFORMS on at least one of those. At long last I will be able to say I program for some other platform other than Windows smile.gif

kayos

When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

Advertisement