Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skimming tomato sauce

• 09-07-2005 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

reading an italian cookbook the other day and it recommended "skimming" tomato sauce. Its basically using a spoon to remove all the acid that rises to the top while the sauce is cooking. Anybody do this? it seems like a pain in the a*se and Ive never seen any chef do it before. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Babybing wrote:
    reading an italian cookbook the other day and it recommended "skimming" tomato sauce. Its basically using a spoon to remove all the acid that rises to the top while the sauce is cooking. Anybody do this? it seems like a pain in the a*se and Ive never seen any chef do it before. Thanks.

You can also cook it until you can no longer smell acid, this is the way I was taught to do it for making tomato chutney in any case, just keep it cooking until the smell disappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you cook it long enough, then that won't be a problem. i've never done it before and my sauces are just fine. Also when you add in the tomatoes, make sure to add a teaspoon of sugar, it helps counteract the acidity

Advertisement