Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Apartments at Annagassan

Options
  • 09-07-2005 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Somebody out there with a good local knowledge of the Annagassan area might like to comment on the new Apartments being built in the village "The Saltings". Word has it that the site these are being built on has flooded many times over the years. The Apartments are built right to the edge of the beach and when a high tide comes in, with an east wind or storm, then the waves could actually splash up against the apartments. If true, this would be astonishing. Does anybody know the area well and could they say if flooding has been a problem there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mal steenson

There is regular flooding at that site, during the early stages of construction, the ground floors of 2 of the blocks were flooded, the procection screens around the sea side of the property were also washed into the sea. The Spring tides come up as far as the most northerly block, the developers have extended the site by piling sand they took of the site along the beach, this is regularly taken away by the sea. The blocks are not pile driven. About 4 year ago there was exceptionaly high tides back by strong SE winds, and heavy rain. The site was flooded at least as far as all the blocks, the houses should be OK. Its hard to see how any insurance can be taken out on the apartment blocks. If you want to know more send an Email with your number and I will contact you. I live in the area and know the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

I live in that area too! If you were planning on moving there it would take you approximately 1 hour 15 mins to get to Dublin 4 on the motorway (thats leaving at 6.45. The motorway is a blessing with little or no holdups until you get to dublin. Once you pass the airport its only 30 mins home!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stephen M

Hi,
    My family and I are moving into The Saltings soon. Before we signed, we checked with the council (by going to the Dundalk offices) if there were any plans to put in any sea defences. There are, and it will be completed by the council. However I have no idea when. BUT, there is some planning there. Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bill Finnerty

Thanks for the info. The builder is responsible for putting in the sea defences, but he hasn't done that yet. He is obliged to do so under the planning permission. Like all builders I guess they are very hard to trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mckeownautos

We have had a ground floor apartment there this 6 years and have had no issues at all?

• Advertisement
Advertisement