Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Xp Installation

• 09-07-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question:
    When installing Windows Xp, do you need a floppy disk to install it? If so, is it absolutly nescessary? Because I dont have a floppy drive. :(

Comments

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Oh yeah! So long uBuntu! Thanks!

BTW, I have a SATA hard drive, I heard this takes a different installation to a IDE hard drive. Will I need a floppy for a SATA installation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No modern OS's need a floppy for installation. Some will offer you the option of creating a floppy boot disk, but even that's fading away.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

basically what happens is that the computer boots from the CDROM and loads a limited OS.

Most, if not all SATA drivers are not on the XP disk, so it will not see your drives.

1st of all download the latest SATA drivers from the mobo makers website, then you have two choices:

1. "slipstream" the drivers into the windows XP disk.
    2. Put the drivers on a floppy, when the computer boots from the CDROM it will prompt you to press 5 to specify addional storage drivers.

You can then install the drivers for your SATA controller and windows setup will see your drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually, Ill be putting a sata drive in an old computer soon.

Can i just install win2000 on it straight off?

• Advertisement

Can i just install win2000 on it straight off?

not sure what you mean given the conext of an old machine. Its not the drives that are the issue, its the controllers.

2k has bugger all SATA drivers built into the setup part, meaning that setup will not see anything on the SATA channell.

Usuing an SATA drive on a PATA channel is fine, as the controller is supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I like the idea of slipstreaming the SATA drivers into WinXP.

Has a generic driver been written for all SATA controllers to give basic operations until, from within windows, the correct SATA driver can be installed???

zuma wrote:
    I like the idea of slipstreaming the SATA drivers into WinXP.

Has a generic driver been written for all SATA controllers to give basic operations until, from within windows, the correct SATA driver can be installed???

No generic one yet, but you can slipstream the ones from your floppie(s) onto the disk.

Advertisement