Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fancy a pint? - Dakota/20th August

Options
  • 09-07-2005 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the interest of another queer beers? I was think maybe the end of july, start of august, whats peoples opinions, date, time, and venue wise?

Whither and whence we drink? 42 votes

Dakota
    0% 0 votes
    Doyles
    26% 11 votes
    Dragon
    4% 2 votes
    Front Lounge
    7% 3 votes
    GUBU
    16% 7 votes
    Longstone
    19% 8 votes
    Metropolitan
    9% 4 votes
    Bleeding Horse
    2% 1 vote
    Yello
    14% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

sounds good

a couple of possible dates

the 31st july or 6th august?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sure, we'll edit it into a poll as soon as a few more people post.

Also I suggest the long stone, on pearse street dublin as a venue. It a cracking little pub, that sells pear cider. But no dance floor though, so I'd be concerned about a mass exist come ten to the george or something similiar.

Whatever is decided I'll try to do more this time in the way of having a map and being more specific about wheres to go in the pub/club. Also what do people fancy, a friday or a saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

LiouVille wrote:
    But no dance floor though, so I'd be concerned about a mass exist come ten to the george or something similiar.

We'll ban moridin again before that happens ;)

Yeah that pub sounds like a good idea. No reasons to limit ourselves to exclusively-gay bars when we can find any bar and take it over (Yes I have gotten cocky after we had a good turnout the last time :p). From what LiouVille says, it is friendly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

They don't do cocktails though, do they... ;)

****e mordy might have a point, I've never seen anybody drinking a cocktail. *Puts on thinking hat for other venues that might suite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

is everyone welcome?

Absolutely everybody and anybody is welcome. This is what the last one was like. We meet up, have a few pints, it's all grand like. Some of us have met before some haven't, but we're all kinda vaguely know each other through post on this forum so it's allot easier then randomly going up and talking to people. Allot of people find it hard to "get into the scene" and meet other gay/bi people in a relaxed environment, and I think events like this help. The first time I ever meet other LGB people(long before my friends came out) was through a boards event(hey damien, stark, az and Ixoy) , it must have had a positive effect, cause here I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

How about Yello, some time during the week (so that it'll be 1 minute from where I work :))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Talliesin wrote:
    How about Yello, some time during the week (so that it'll be 1 minute from where I work :))
    NO!
    yello's a kip, how about gubu... mmm beds ;)

All the Gay venues will be in a poll, don't worry, looking for alternative suggestions for venues people think might be good. Also suggestions on dates, 30/31st of july or 5/6st of august suites me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

The sadist in me is saying, "Go on, suggest Fibber's!" :p I think that might lead to my swift and untimely death though :D

Believe it or not the thought crossed my mind. At which point I realised I needed to go to bed. Fibber's can be rough, its full of old rocker goths, and is abit of a hole tbh. And while my boyfriend would feel right at home, I don't think it's to appropriate.

Yeah, the idea of going to Fibber's definitely calls for a good long rest! :p The fact that the place is dripping with internal politics (or was, anyways) doesn't help. I'm not a fan and it wouldn't be suitable at all. But it's still a hilarious though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

for an alternative how about doyles, its a nice pub with a good atmosphere and loads of nooks and crannies so if ye want ye can stay in the big pub part or else form a cosy little group. the broken/bleeding (whatever) horse on camden street is good for a laugh.

as for dates, i think but am not 100% sure that cork pride weekend is on the august bank holiday if any of ye are interested in coming down for it.

Doyle's I've found to be grand though my boyfriend get pretty nervous in there about being openly affectionate so to speak. So I don't know I'll leave it up to other to decide how friendly it is. One thing, it wouldn't be possible to book dolyes in the same way. Going by the smallest area you can reserve(to my knowledge) you would need 30 - 40 people at least. That said arriving early, could easily steal a section.

Never heard of the bleeding horse, what is it like?

I'm not entirely indisposed to a trip to cork, but someone else would have to organise it from that end.

Myself, I quite like the Bleeding Horse, good pub, nice atmosphere. Been in there a few times and had a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

again, there are plenty of areas that ye could get if ye are in early enough in the bleeding horse, up in the balconies and around the back and at the sides. its a nice pub, can get very busy. great atmosphere and a really good crowd. its at the very top of camden street

boston :p wrote:
    ****e mordy might have a point, I've never seen anybody drinking a cocktail. *Puts on thinking hat for other venues that might suite.

Actually, thinking about it more it might help to hold the thing in a non-gay place, because then people who aren't so au fait with the scene might feel a bit less anxious about coming. Although, one look at ixoy and everyone in the pub will know that he's a poofter, despite his manly clothes.

How about Dakota? It's nice, it does cocktails, and it's central to just about everywhere. Plus it's not Doyles, because I've never liked that place.
    solice wrote:
    as for dates, i think but am not 100% sure that cork pride weekend is on the august bank holiday if any of ye are interested in coming down for it.

I may be down. One of the organisers keeps mentioning it to me, and I haven't been to Cork since my birthday.

Plus damien has promised me a nice meal in the Ivory Tower. *grin*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

moridin wrote:
    Actually, thinking about it more it might help to hold the thing in a non-gay place, because then people who aren't so au fait with the scene might feel a bit less anxious about coming.
    Good point about that. A more open, friendly venue might be a good reason for those a bit shyer about being seen in gay places. Less intimidating.
    Although, one look at ixoy and everyone in the pub will know that he's a poofter, despite his manly clothes.
    Darn it, I'll shame ye all! Lucky we'll have you along to balance me out :)
    How about Dakota? It's nice, it does cocktails, and it's central to just about everywhere. Plus it's not Doyles, because I've never liked that place.
    Doyles is too much a reminder of Trinity society meetups. It's grand for that but somewhere a bit smarter would be nicer for a meetup. Dakota fits that bill - but it does get very busy on the weekends so we'd either want to be there early or book in advance.

As to dates, August is fine by me. Best find one that's not conflicting with any other major events so people will be able to show.

ixoy wrote:
    Good point about that. A more open, friendly venue might be a good reason for those a bit shyer about being seen in gay places. Less intimidating.

Exactly :) See how considerate and nice I am? Man, I surprise myself sometimes.
    Darn it, I'll shame ye all! Lucky we'll have you along to balance me out :)
    I'll try, but I might have to show up looking like a mechanic to fit THAT bill. Got any axel grease handy?
    Doyles is too much a reminder of Trinity society meetups. It's grand for that but somewhere a bit smarter would be nicer for a meetup. Dakota fits that bill - but it does get very busy on the weekends so we'd either want to be there early or book in advance.

The Metropolitan is nice either, though slightly less central. The Morrison is swank too, mmm, I like that place, though it might be a bit quiet for the flaming pink robots among us :p

Traffic is ok-ish, but the last time I was there they'd stopped their 2-for-1 cocktails thingy so I'm slightly miffed at them. And also coming across as cocktail obsessed. Oh well.
    As to dates, August is fine by me. Best find one that's not conflicting with any other major events so people will be able to show.

How about Friday 5th or Friday 12th? Or would you prefer a saturday or something?

• Advertisement

Just realised something, I've something major to do on august bankholiday weekend. Is it's the first or last weekend.

Doyles, while grand and a lovely pint, is kinda my local. The long stone is a much better better place with a much more relaxed atmosphere, and similiar prices if not cheaper. So If people wanted a place like doyles, i'd definitely recommend the long stone over it.

Dakota sound good. I think a poll is in order. Could One of our moderators edit in a poll with the usually options

Front lounge
    Yello
    Gubu
    Dragon
    The long stone
    doyles
    dakota
    The bleeding horse.
    Metro (poo'y i don't like that place)

dates

friday 22nd
    saturday 23rd

friday 29th
    saturday 30th

friday 5th
    saturday 6st

Thats probably to much. Personally I think we should hold it in a straight venue this time. It can be very unsettling for people to go into a gay bar for the very first time, I think it will help turn out.

But but but bleeding horse is soooo far away... grr! :)
    dates

friday 22nd
    saturday 23rd

Boo - visitor coming this weekend. :p
    friday 29th
    saturday 30th

Boo - Cork pride is on then.
    friday 5th
    saturday 6st

Huzzah.

moridin wrote:
    But but but bleeding horse is soooo far away... grr! :)

I was thinking the same. Tbh the last dates are the only ones that suites me as well, but yea have to give the people the options.

The best thing about Dakota is that we could go for wagamama's first. Mmm, Chicken Katsu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Best place iv ever been in is "The vault" in the Westin hotel on westmorland st. really nice cocktails an beer an snacks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

friday 5th
    saturday 6th

Either or sound good

or

Galway Pride at the end of August

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It would have been nice if the moderators had made it so we could see who votes. IT gives a better idea of who will turn up,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

moridin wrote:
    Plus damien has promised me a nice meal in the Ivory Tower. *grin*

Why do Dublin folk keep telling me I had promised to bring them to the most expensive restaurants in Cork when they are visiting? I'll get the food, you can pay for the Sancerre. *grins back, but in a snarlier fashion*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

LiouVille wrote:
    dates

friday 22nd
    saturday 23rd
    Paris
    friday 29th
    saturday 30th
    Coping with Moridin at Cork pride. Though I might let my folks do that while I go somewhere else.
    friday 5th
    saturday 6st

I'm freeee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

LiouVille wrote:
    It would have been nice if the moderators had made it so we could see who votes. IT gives a better idea of who will turn up,
    Purposely didn't in case people who wished to remain quiet about it, wanted to have a say.

Advertisement