Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscilloscpoe question

• 09-07-2005 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

This is for all the electronic engineer's out there. Does anyone know what the trigger switch and dial does on an oscilloscope.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can set the trigger so that the scope will not record a reading until a certain threshold value is passed, or perhaps until a rising waveform is recognised. Basically, the trigger is the signal for the scope to start recording. It varies in functionality from scope to scope. RTFM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

How come you never gave us manuals to use?

They were the Fisher-price scopes and after all, you're supposed to be smart :)

Seriously, I don't even know where the manuals are myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i've never seen a manual for one, they certainly would have come in handy in first and second year :rolleyes:

They probably are available in pdf format from the manufacturers website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

fat lot of good manuals will do you with broken equipment anyway. I seem to recall alot of grief over those telecomms boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I'd say an Oscillioscope manual is harder to use than the oscilliscope itself.

Basically the trigger just fixes a segment of a periodic waveform on the screen, so the waveform appears stationary and you can make measurements easily.

You can adjust the height of the triggering to set the point on the waveform the oscilliscope fixes. If your waveform is not "triggered", e.g. it's flying around the place, adjusting the trigger height often fixes it.

Advertisement