Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish P2P Case/Does anyone use PeerGuardian?

• 10-07-2005 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Yesterday the High Court ruled in favour of IMRA in a case against several Irish file-sharers.

The evidence admitted had been collected on behalf of IMRA by MediaSentry, an American investigative company that collects IPs and such for record companies and film studios.

This is an alarming development for file-sharers here.

Just wondering if anyone uses PeerGuardian when running P2P apps? (Not that you'd being doing anything wrong of course ;) )

MediaSentry's IP ranges are included in the default blocklists. I wonder if the individuals in this case would have been protected had they been running the program when the evidence was collected..

File-sharers have felt relatively safe in this country until now but if people choose to continue using P2P apps, maybe it's time to start taking some precautions.

Anyone use PeerGuardian? Any opinions as to how effective it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'll just leave my wireless network wide open.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

LOL that might also work. :) Would you have time to deep delete your files if they came knocking on the door with an injunction to seize your hard drives though? It's only a matter of time.. :/ fecking IMRA..

Oh and another thing.. from the article in today's Irish Times:
    Mr Willie Kavanagh, managing director of EMI Records, said the Irish market for sound recordings had suffered a decline in total sales from €146 million in 2001 to €118 million in 2004 and he believed a very substantial portion of that decline was due to the increasing availability of broadband internet access here.

The decline, you idiot, is because the industry is churning out crap music and charging a fortune for it. Your company is selling products nobody wants to buy.

Hrm.. as managing director of a record company you think he might look to his company's products when sales start to fall... But no, suing children is clearly a better way to run a business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

IRMA = music only, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Yep, but the case sets a precedent for copyright holders. The studios will follow suit soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

those bastardos,

like Duffman says, they release crappy music and then blame everything on the internet

Imagine, I'm the director, I create Terminator 4 to milk the movie franchise and very little number of people go to see it, who am I going to blame? myself? for making a bad movie, or hmmm....internet? of course internet.

they can competely block the music and movies, but their loss will still keep decreasing

because there is NO way, I'm paying 20-25 euros for someone's bellowing recorded on a cd

I remember one member from metallica said something like: "if you have a right to steal my music, then I have a right to call the plumber and tell him to come and fix my plumbing for free"

well the difference is that: if a plumber doesn't get paid, he won't be able to put food on the table for his family that day, but if metallica looses some money, what will they lose? hmm extra money for drugs, hookers, a porsche? well at least they will be FAR from starving, and they already are making tons and tons of money, just watch mtv, those talantless ........ sigh I can just go on and on but I'll just stop

I use PeerGuardian, might try ProtoWall
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah music has gone to shít allright!!!

Metallica and the Corrs were all on the antiPiracy bandwagon...Metaliica lost a lot of fans due to that and tried to blame their low sales on piracy!!!

Im pretty sure when I say that www.cdwow.ie sales are not put into the statistics of Ireland as they are based in Hong Kong and the same for Amazon and others.
    The reason why the sales have dropped in ireland is that with the introduction of the Euro(2002) we finally copped onto how much extra we were paying and decided to do our shopping from the net!!!
    Damn those bastards and their "its because of piracy" bullshít!!!!
    =====================================================
    Speaking of PeerGuardian.
    My version is currently blocking 874,640,509 IP's if thats of any use.
    I use the program of course to block hackers!!!
    The problem with prosecuting is that one of the 17 might be an old lady looking up Daniel O'Donnell on the family computer, another could be a 12 year old searching for a bly bands new single...etc!!!
    The P2P software could also be mistaking setup to share their Legal Music collection and in the eyes of IRMA...they are PIRATES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

How do you know "which" are the bad-guys ;) IPs to add to your blocklist?

And do you just run the programme while running your P2P software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Peer guardian automatically updates from a list of reorted bad IP's. It works by sitting on your system tray and scanning every packets as it comes onto your PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Duffman wrote:
    The decline, you idiot, is because the industry is churning out crap music and charging a fortune for it. Your company is selling products nobody wants to buy.

Not just that of course - there's nothing mentioned about people using the internet to get music legally is there? Like CDWOW etc ... same disc ... €10 cheaper. No wonder HMV are packing up shop - nobody who can use a mouse would shop there anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can't use PeerGuardian, as it made my internet unworkable. Gave me lots of problems, so I just uninstalled it.

Also, I don't use BitTorrent at all these days. Ifind I can get my distro's faster off heanet, or some random FTP, tbh.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    Not just that of course - there's nothing mentioned about people using the internet to get music legally is there? Like CDWOW etc ... same disc ... €10 cheaper. No wonder HMV are packing up shop - nobody who can use a mouse would shop there anymore.

Are HMW leaving ireland???
    About time...€25 for an album compared to HALF that at CD WoW!!!

Not sure exactly but I've seen the Closing Down Sale posters in Henry Street and Grafton Street. Mind you their sale prices are still more expensive than cdwow :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Macros42 wrote:

Even the likes of play.com, cdwow.ie that still leaves iTunes and MyCokeMusic and others, I'm curious if their adding all theses to their profit margines :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

"Mr Willie Kavanagh, managing director of EMI Records, said the Irish market for sound recordings had suffered a decline in total sales from €146 million in 2001 to €118 million in 2004 and he believed a very substantial portion of that decline was due to the increasing availability of broadband internet access here."

My Arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

is it uploaders or downloaders thats being done??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

he does have a point, increasing vailability of broadband/cheap internet means more people can shop online faster :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lol im using it now and have found microsoft AP2P Trackers searchin my pc :P

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Macros42 wrote:
    Not sure exactly but I've seen the Closing Down Sale posters in Henry Street and Grafton Street. Mind you their sale prices are still more expensive than cdwow :D
    It's not HMV, it's Virgin.

Jesus, HMV have money coming OUT OF THE WALLS they're doing so well :)

I got fed up of PeerGuardian, can't load a bloody webpage in any decent time. Try going to a HEAnet mirror page with PG running and you'll see what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Greedy greedy capitalist bastards... anyway, I read that it is aimed at those uploaders (ie. those with a big share) and they will try to suggest that you had the potential to share to x million users (even though the bandwidth would not possibly support that).

They have wangled the private information from the ISPs so the next step is that they contact the 'offenders' through post, offering a settlement on average of 4grand, plus wiping your PC and all those books you've been working on.

I'd really like to see this faceless, evil organisation of corrupt and greedy music corporations, defeated in our fair, free and decent island. This is an infringement on civil liberties (you may after all own the music in your share folder), and I don't see how the 'evidence' submitted by this American profit making spy company can be used in court!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Goddamn nazis, makes me as upset as the recently destroyed EU software patent bill.

Kernel wrote:
    Goddamn nazis, makes me as upset as the recently destroyed EU software patent bill.

Well that's Godwin's Law invoked and hence the end of this thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I use some form of peer-guardian, had a look at the statistics on it:

MediaSentry (468 hits): 66.250.46.0 - 66.250.47.127

eep! Guess it would be a good idea to keep it installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Napster was released about 5 years ago. P2P usage has been pretty much going up regularly. If the record industry really was losing serious amount of money they'd have all gone backrupt long ago. The reason they fight so much against P2P is because it makes record lables irrelevant. If all it takes is a PC with broadband to distribute a record of your band to the world, why should you accept a 2% of the sale price?

Using P2P is not like asking a plumber for free work, it's like lighting your candle off someone elses lit candle. Afterwards his candle is still lit, he loses nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Macros42 wrote:
    Well that's Godwin's Law invoked and hence the end of this thread. :rolleyes:

Godwin's law sucks *****. Kernel's law of sarcastic but irrelevent message board posts, now that's one you should check out!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Kernel wrote:
    Godwin's law sucks ****.

Watch your mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

so anyone know how safe peerguardian will keep you?

TimAy wrote:
    so anyone know how safe peerguardian will keep you?

A hell of a lot safer than not using it!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Kernel wrote:
    Godwin's law sucks *****. Kernel's law of sarcastic but irrelevent message board posts, now that's one you should check out!
    :rolleyes:
    Hey! look at that! an example of Guy's corollary to Godwin's Law!

ROFL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

in response to the original query i use both peerguardian and eraser. there's a seperate thread in music on this topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I download music from the internet 100% legally for 10c a track and if you download the whole album you get 10% discount.

http://www.mp3search.ru

Its a russian site. There is some loophole in the russian law that allows them to do this. They have almost every album you would ever want.

rob1891 wrote:
    I use some form of peer-guardian, had a look at the statistics on it:

MediaSentry (468 hits): 66.250.46.0 - 66.250.47.127

eep! Guess it would be a good idea to keep it installed.

Did a search of "MediaSentry" on PeerGuardian and got:

This was on the P2P progs I have...Limewire and emule...no tracking on any torrent ports.
    All of the above were nicely blocked!!!

BrokenArrows
    Just because its apparently legal in Russia where capilalism is still a relativately new concept and paying record companies a percentage of their profits seems odd doesnt means its legal.
    Honestly though find out for sure if IRMA approve of mp3search.ru...because if they dont then what you are doing(even though you pay) could be as illegal as using gnucleus!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I tried peer guardian but it didn't work with windows 7 for me consistently, peer block is the same thing and seems to be working. However, I'm concerned as the data base of ip address seems to be all US companies.... I wonder is there anyway to find a list relevant to Ireland that we could add? Also there is the data encryption option on vuze, I wonder how good this is? other torrent programs have it too... problem is I think the issue with this is the encryption prevents different torrent clients talking to each other, so it will lower ur peers... Anybody anythoughts? Also I wonder will eircom really cut off their own customers!? I'm sure we'll find out on boards if anyone gets a letter!!

I normally jus leave torrents going over night, so I can jus open up peerblock when i'm downloading, as opposed to leave it open all the time, thus avoiding issues some people were having with not being able to open webpages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

I tried peer guardian but it didn't work with windows 7 for me consistently, peer block is the same thing and seems to be working. However, I'm concerned as the data base of ip address seems to be all US companies.... I wonder is there anyway to find a list relevant to Ireland that we could add? Also there is the data encryption option on vuze, I wonder how good this is? other torrent programs have it too... problem is I think the issue with this is the encryption prevents different torrent clients talking to each other, so it will lower ur peers... Anybody anythoughts? Also I wonder will eircom really cut off their own customers!? I'm sure we'll find out on boards if anyone gets a letter!!

I normally jus leave torrents going over night, so I can jus open up peerblock when i'm downloading, as opposed to leave it open all the time, thus avoiding issues some people were having with not being able to open webpages...

:p:p:p this threads last post was almost 5 years ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement