Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lilo messed up.

• 08-06-2001 2:21pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I put on SuSE 6.3 on, with WindowsME
    installation worked grand, was booting fine, then one day, lilo just disappeared, and my computer automactially goes into Windows, I try reinstalling SuSE (had to just to get Lilo back on) but then it wouldn't let me write it to the partiction, or a floppy, and sujjestion's on how I can just get Lilo on without having to go through installing everything again?

Thanks very much for the reply's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well you should have made a linux boot floppy wink.gif
    If you have boot from that and simply invoke lilo at the prompt and reset it up.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Yeah point Logic1.

Or run the setup again from the bootable CD and when you get to the lilo (setup) screen, type " Linux single " and then just run ./lilo in /etc and that should repair your Boot Sector/MBR...

Else, you know anyone with a Boot Disk of the same SuSE distro? You can use theirs...

Be careful thou...

Ba$tard...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

ok, I did try to make a bootable floppy for start up
    but it wouoldn't allow me, kept on getting "connot write to floppy"
    I tryied a few of them, so I just gave up on making a boot floppy frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

i dont know about suse but with my debian cd, when it boots there an option called expert or advanced or something which if you select it you can type rescue root=/dev/hda2 which boots your linux partition assuming its on hda2, so you might not need a boot floppy if the suse cd has a similar option.

correct me if im wrong but ./lilo in /etc won't work, should it not be /sbin/lilo

Mr. Chuffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Just be careful when running any hard disk utilities in windows as some of them like to mess with the master boot record.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

actualy maybe now that you sa that Snaga..
    I think it could have been Norton utilities
    or AV, cause it said partition is invailded, I think I clicked on repair
    doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by logic1:
    Well you should have made a linux boot floppy wink.gif
    </font>

Wow .. sound 20/20 hindsight advice there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

download http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~nmullen/boot/tar.gz

extract this in windows and it will allow you to make a linux boot disk (its a copy of toms root and boot disk)

boot the machine with this then mount your old root partioion as /mnt e.g. mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

then you should have your lilo binary at /mnt/sbin/lilo

i cant realy remember whether you will need to create the /etc/lilo.conf or whether it will use /mnt/etc/lilo.conf

if it uses /mnt/etc/lilo.conf simply run /mnt/sbin/lilo

other wise copy /mnt/etc/lilo.conf to /etc and run /mnt/sbin/lilo

this should reinstall lilo on the mbr and allow your suystem to boot

tell us what happened

c22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

Whoops ..
    Typos aren't tolerated..

According to logic1, that makes you an idiot.

Sorry, not my rule.

[This message has been edited by Shagus (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Advertisement
Advertisement