Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CKY Frontman blasts Rolling Stone (taken from Blabbermouth.net)

Options
  • 10-07-2005 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Found this amusing story on Blabbermouth.net I wanted to share with you all...
    CKY guitarist/vocalist Deron Miller has slammed Rolling Stone journalist Jenny Eliscu over a scathing one-star review (out of five) of the band's latest CD, "An Answer Can Be Found". What follows is Eliscu's original review of the CKY album (which can be found online at RollingStone.com), followed by Miller's response, as sent to BLABBERMOUTH.NET.

Jenny Eliscu (Rolling Stone)'s review of CKY's "An Answer Can Be Found":

"Perhaps the most noteworthy thing about CKY is the ardor of their fans, the CKY Alliance, whose bragging rights include having bombarded this magazine with pissed-off e-mails after we gave the band's previous album a two-star review. Here we go again. The presence of Bam Margera's brother Jess on drums may keep CKY aligned with the skate-punk scene, but 'An Answer Can Be Found' is mind-numbing stoner metal, with ginormous power chords, repetitive vocals and overwrought lyrics ('Invaded by a swarm of confliction'? Ex-squeeze me?). 'Don't Hold Your Breath', 'Suddenly Tragic' and 'The Way You Lived' all renounce suicide, which may be a case of CKY living down their name, which is short for Camp Kill Yourself. 'Why put the gun to your head if you're already dead?' singer Deron Miller asks on 'Suddenly Tragic'. One good reason: to drown out the sound of 'An Answer Can Be Found'."

Deron Miller's (CKY) response to Jenny Eliscu's review:

"If Rolling Stone was ever a credible music magazine, it certainly no longer is. They actually paid some woman that calls herself Jenny Eliscu money to write a review of our new album that isn't even suitable for inclusion in a free high-school fanzine. She gives the album one star based on the behavior our fans (the CKY Alliance) exhibited after our last disc got two stars. They raided the RollingStone.com message boards demanding for it to be revised. How predictable, tiresome and unprofessional it is for a magazine of this stature to have Jenny Eliscu employed there as a 'journalist,' with her personal playlists only consisting of Top 10 platinum acts. Jenny actually uses the term 'ex-squeeze me' in her review after citing lyrics from our album that she just simply isn't intelligent enough to understand. This woman should be fired for this trash. I can be juevenile and 'clever,' too, Jenny. By saying things like 'Jenny's friends and family should know that she is an aging, ugly skank, and I really pray that she doesn't live too much longer'... Jenny Eliscu... no stars."

CKY's "An Answer Can Be Found" sold 27,786 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at No. 35 on next week's The Billboard 200 chart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Wow... I want 30 seconds of my life back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

LOL as u can tell to my 1st reply i concour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

That guy sure is a delicate daisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Im a slow reader, so i want 53 seconds of my life back.

Im a slow reader, so i want 53 seconds of my life back.

You should demand 5 minutes in damages while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

hmmm why are CKY not important to me and why should I care about their reviews

oh yes cause they use small words and I am hung over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If Rolling Stone was ever a credible music magazine, it certainly no longer is. They actually paid some woman that calls herself Jenny Eliscu money to write a review of our new album that isn't even suitable for inclusion in a free high-school fanzine.

She calles herself that because that's her name, "Deron". Were your parents singing the Batman theme when you were born? Also, she was paid because she wouldn't write the article for free.
    She gives the album one star based on the behavior our fans (the CKY Alliance) exhibited after our last disc got two stars.

You need to get a life, maybe write some good music too and you might get more stars.
    They raided the RollingStone.com message boards demanding for it to be revised.

They really need to get a life... and understand the higher percentiles will always disagree with them and will always be right.
    How predictable, tiresome and unprofessional it is for a magazine of this stature to have Jenny Eliscu employed there as a 'journalist,' with her personal playlists only consisting of Top 10 platinum acts.

It's predicatble that higher stature magazines use, in your estimation, unprofessional journalists. Deron, did you take a knock to the head?
    Jenny actually uses the term 'ex-squeeze me' in her review after citing lyrics from our album that she just simply isn't intelligent enough to understand.

If she can't understand your lyrics she must be incredibly stupid, you're right.
    This woman should be fired for this trash.

People in glass houses...
    I can be juevenile and 'clever,' too, Jenny.

Yup, still waiting for 'clever... in your own time Deron
    By saying things like 'Jenny's friends and family should know that she is an aging, ugly skank, and I really pray that she doesn't live too much longer'... Jenny Eliscu... no stars."

Oh now come on, if you can't be civil you really shouldn't be posting here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hellview

i dont really come here much and barely ever reply(as you can see from my post count) but i have to give my thoughts on this one

I'm a huge fan of CKY and have been for a number of years. in my opinion i think these guys make absolutly fantastic music, very orginal, great musicians and with each album is a progression from the last

the fact that this band got only 1 star from rolling stone is pretty much an outrage..you all may disagree, but have you actually heard it?

its a great piece of work and as i stated before, there ie progression in this album. At first i was very questionable about it, wasnt very sure about it, but after a good few listens i just loved the album.

as for the bashing of rolling stone magazine... its about f***ing time someone who actually has the b***ocks says something. this magazine has lost quite alot of credibility over the years. yes this mag once held what i would see as "respectable" (the era i wasnt even around for) but it slowly but surely has declined. now again i will admit that i actually dont read the magazine but i do know of people who do! my main attack on the magazine for not being credible anymore would have to be an issue that was brought out focusing on the women of rock and roll! but as a matter of fact the women mentioned were the likes of britney spears, christina aguilera, pink, destinys child etc. and not one mention of an actual woman of rock! now if any of you think that the magazine that is so respected is to bring out such an issue..you would surely have to agree with me on that one that there is surely decline in the magazine.

even the likes of those who get on the front cover of this magazine is a bit ridicolous... i do beleive the olsen twins were once on the front cover of this mag ( now maybe im wrong its just from what i remember being told) and others, that really and truly shouldnt be on the cover of this magazine.

now as one person posted..if cky wrote good music they would get a good review.. well opinions are opinions..respect others.. i think there music is fantastic..you may not..therefore you do not LIKE there music..it doesnt mean it isnt good.

a point of backing up that up would be the fact that james hetfield and axl rose..2 of the biggest names in rock music, personally asked cky to support them on legs of their tour. corey taylor of slipknot/stone who is also a man who is a big name in the rock world today(wheter anyone likes it or not) listed their previous album IDR as one of the best albums of that year and truly respects them.singer/guitarist of "children of bodom" has been pictured playing live with the CKY taped on his guitar..again showing his liking of the band. there new album "an answer can be found" is number 35 in the america billboard chart..with no publicity from island records at all... all through word of mouth and extensive touring! very rarely in this day and age is this acheivable, there is only one other band that i know of(personally speaking, this is just my knowledge of the matter) that has acheived success the same way and that is the band tool.

the vocalist deron miller is the same man who got the "gorguts" re-release into our shops. he is the same man who has spearheaded the entire DEATH tribute project. former DEATH guitarist james(i dont remember his second name) teamed up deron miller to play on derons side project "foreign objects" as he thought it was purely amazing. he plays on some tracks and they are quite good. james also has added that ckys album catalogue is good too.

look at the review, stating that cky are "stoner" music is just stupid. the music world is a joke these days, the label of "stoner" rock for them is very innacurate. this is the same magazine that labels(as well as other mags) that weezer are "geek" rock...someone tell me what that is?

this next part is directed to that poster who took apart what was said by deron and commented on it. deron not being clever and taking a knock to his head? well im sure there would be quite alot of people who would argue with you on that one who may not even be cky fans that getting the gorguts rerelease, working with james taylor to get the death tribute out and being personally chosen by big names in rock to play with them... i dont think you can acheive this things from being an idiot now can you? if it was the case then there would be far more crap in the world..think about what your saying for a second! the fans need to get a life? they were outraged but the previous review and wanted it to be revised...whats wrong with that..fan loyalty to a band?...and there ya go...ya hit the nail on the head...the higher percentiles always win and are always right!!! not by a bloody long shot...you are wrong there...not in all scenarios of course is that wrong but that comment you made...definatly wrong. just accepting that the higher percentiles are always right is really outragoues

this band are a very hard working band and create some music that is good and well worth listening to..go to their website..listen to some songs.. pick up an album and give them a chance. most have judged them on their famouns "96 quite bitter beings" song that was heard in the jackass shopping cart sketch. thats just one of their songs. listen to more of them...i would recomend this band to anyone.

i also do apologise for such a long post and if you read this far thank you for actually giving the time to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

By saying things like 'Jenny's friends and family should know that she is an aging, ugly skank, and I really pray that she doesn't live too much longer'... Jenny Eliscu... no stars."

Rofl

Anyway, I think CKY are good, and certainly the reviewer gave the band some sterotypical labelling but at the end of the day if she gave them 1/5 there was a hell of alot more she didnt like other then the bands fanbase/image

Deron Miller shoulda just accepted the review, or at least replied with something a little less personnal and something a tad more musical orientated and related

hellview wrote:
    this next part is directed to that poster who took apart what was said by... ETC

Ummm, yeah that was me. You know, I was initally going to elaborate on how it was obviously clear I was taking the piss by making it look like a response to a post here, and by suggesting he should keep his potty mouth off boards and all despite the fact he didn't post here, etc ... but by the time I realised you were serious and managed to stop laughing I had lost the enthusiasm to clarify what was, after all, a half assed attempt to lighten up a go-nowhere thread.

So... eh, yeah... rock and roll, eh? :D

• Advertisement

hellview wrote:
    the vocalist deron miller is the same man who got the "gorguts" re-release into our shops. he is the same man who has spearheaded the entire DEATH tribute project. former DEATH guitarist james(i dont remember his second name)............

.........rerelease, working with james taylor

James Taylor - surely you dont mean that unkempt youth that made a guest appearance in the Simpsons - surely you mean James Murphy :)

he is the same man who has spearheaded the entire DEATH tribute project

cough *bull***** cough *bull***** - sorry but that Death Tribute CD is james Muprhy's baby - all Deron is doing is laying down some guitar tracks

yup indeedy...james murphy..my mistake entirely

but anyways onwards... the orginal two people who began the death tribute was james murphy and deron miller.. i rmember when it was only a dream in the pipeline and deron miller was talking about it.. himself was the one who spearheaded the whole thing...he got into talks with james murphy about it and everything...if you dont beleive me...e-mail james murphy himself..im sure he will give u pretty much what i said

deron miller n james murphy were the main two guys who began the works on the DEATH tribute.

" the good news is that chuck schuldiner's sister bethann has given us the green light to do our death tribute/benefit record" Feb 2 2003 3:52AM

theres your proof right there..him and deron were in the talks for it the whole time, hence he spearheaded it with james murphy or if you would prefer me to say james murphy spearheaded it with deron miller..whatever way it sounds it still the same...so no it aint BS...its the truth

to the other lad i directed part of my post at.... what do u make of all my points? do u really find them funny? or are u just avoiding giving your honest opinion on what i said?... i aint really having a go at you... i made my points..id like to hear your honest response to what i said...

i aint being hostile towards you or patronizing or whatever...just a simple discussion really.. so what is your honest opinion on my points and statment made?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

hellview wrote:
    so what is your honest opinion on my points and statment made?

Nobody gives a crap. no ones gonna go, "wait, i think hellview was right, i'm going to FORCE myself to start liking medicore bands, and buy their entire discography"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 allyhari

As hellview said, opinions are opinions. But I really don't think a so-called credible and established magazine such as rolling stone should be publishing reviews which make use of phrases such as "ex-squeeze me?"- save that for Smash Hits or Tiger Beat. I can completely understand where Deron is coming from. I know that if something I had worked on, something I had put my whole self into, was casually dismissed due to:
    -my drummer being Bam's brother
    -my fans attacking what they felt to be unjust
    -how many precious stars my last album was given

then yes, I too would tear into this "journalist". Familial ties and the alliance aside, Jenny does not tell us much about the album. The purpose of an album review is to look at the tracks and inform us of the music. Stoner metal? The last time I was in HMV I don't think I saw a stoner metal section. these phantom genres are thrown onto music which, in fact, transcends genres (Hellview cites an excellent example- Weezer- geek/nerd rock? Please)
    Yes there are mentions of suicide in the tracks. And...??
    Jenny treats this as some juicy piece of gossip, an "I told you so" to people who instantly dismiss a band called Camp Kill Yourself. Where are the mentions of the other tracks, talking about overcoming opression, about breaking out and carrying on, what is said about the breathtakingly beautiful classical guitar tune Behind The Screams? I guess "looking at something as a whole" wasn't dealt with on Jenny's $9.99 internet-journalism course. She treats the review as a personal venting space, to air out issues and proclaim her holier-than-thou stance on a seemingly cliched and tired band. A little professionalism please?

For those of you that wonder where Deron's professionalism is... well, he doesn't have to answer to anyone really, does he?
    Jenny made no attempt to cover up what she thinks of the band, so why should Deron hold back from tearing her apart? Those who have any knowledge of the band will know that Deron, Chad, and Jess never let anything negative about the band slip by. They fight when they are challenged or dismissed in a negative manner.

Good for them.
    we don't see Limp Bizcuit out tilting at windmills or attacking journalists because everyone has realised they're ****.... it's refreshing to have people in the music industry who speak their minds, and who don't give two flying ****s what anyone thinks.

I have loved CKY for a long time now, and they mean a lot to me. I don't give a toss what you think of their music- opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs- but why scorn Deron for attacking someone who has offended him? If the moronic Jenny had reviewed you in the same manner, you'd defend yourself too.

allyhari wrote:
    opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to theirs

and yet apparantly this Rolling Stone journo isnt entitled to hers according to Deron and some CKY fans - go figure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

The most imporant question is why is this thread still being posted in???

(I am aware of the irony of this post) :p

well im posting in this thread because i was basically defending a band i like and pointing out the fact that mags such as rolling stone are not what you would call credible these days...

whats the craic with all this hostility? such thing as normal discussion some of you?

yeah opinions are opinions and everyone is entitled to their own but you cant exactly make a public remark about something your paid to write about and research it to the fullest...just another point at how the singer pointed out at how she was unprofessional in her review

if she had of reviewed this album after listening to it a number of times...even doing a half bothered amount of research and gave it a proper review then no one could argue with that opinion..

its the unjust review due to a lack of work put in that has caused the outrage really...therefore deron was perfectly within his rights in blasting the mag and the journalist...what do those bothered with this thread think about it?

then stop bitching here and post on Rolling Stones website then

hellview wrote:
    well im posting in this thread because i was basically defending a band i like and pointing out the fact that mags such as rolling stone are not what you would call credible these days...

whats the craic with all this hostility? such thing as normal discussion some of you?

Well, the thing is, when you're pointing out that Rolling Stone isn't credible, you might aswell be pointing out that Oranges, are in fact, Orange. Another thing is the fact that people round these parts get suspiscious when a person just joins up to pimp a particular band, as both you and allyhari have.

well alright then i accept that then i suppose...does look rather weird n all that dealy..

but i did sign up in april 2003 as it does indeed say...i just very rarely would post here... i just happened to come onto this site and saw the thread and posted

fair enough with being suspicious but is that how all the new people who come on here are treated?with suspicion? you were all new at one stage or another

is anyone actually gonna talk about the topic or has this whole thread just gone completely off-topic?

• Advertisement

without sounding disparaging - it appears no one cares, harsh but true

ah i suppose so

cant blame a guy for trying though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

What an idiot, musicians who actually care what rating a piece of **** rag like RS rates their album are retarded, and the CKY guy does himself no favours by resorting to ridiculous personal insults. Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the rolling stone are **** though, fine example

Weezer's pinkerton gets the worst album of 1996 title in the magazine.

at 2000 they decided to re-review it and it they gave it 5 stars and they mentioned "this album was just too far ahead of it's time that no one could see it's beauty".

i can see why this Deron is complaining but it just isn't worth it.

Ahhh they slated the first Led Zeppelin album too, get over it.

Still, sometimes they're spot on ;)

Doctor J wrote:
    Ahhh they slated the first Led Zeppelin album too, get over it.

Still, sometimes they're spot on ;)

that wouldn't happen to be a time like this, would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JKSIII

Doctor J wrote:
    She calles herself that because that's her name, "Deron". Were your parents singing the Batman theme when you were born? Also, she was paid because she wouldn't write the article for free.

You need to get a life, maybe write some good music too and you might get more stars.

They really need to get a life... and understand the higher percentiles will always disagree with them and will always be right.

It's predicatble that higher stature magazines use, in your estimation, unprofessional journalists. Deron, did you take a knock to the head?

If she can't understand your lyrics she must be incredibly stupid, you're right.

People in glass houses...

Yup, still waiting for 'clever... in your own time Deron

Oh now come on, if you can't be civil you really shouldn't be posting here ;)
    Wow, you attempted to disect his reply, and came off as nothing more than "not huh" and sticking a tongue out. Congratulations on wasting 30 mins of your life accomplishing nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

JKSIII wrote:
    Wow, you attempted to disect his reply, and came off as nothing more than "not huh" and sticking a tongue out. Congratulations on wasting 30 mins of your life accomplishing nothing.

I actually thought it was quite funny :D

JKSIII wrote:

oh yeah, you, the metallica fan boy troll who likes to start arguements with mods :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

All this reminds me of being in HMV, Grafton Street on Saturday afternnon - and some (in my opinion) clueless fool, turned to his girlfriend and said Metallica's best album was the black album - laugh I nearly started

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement