Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RH7.1 and KDS laptop.

• 09-07-2001 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I got a new laptop KDS 6480 (pretty sweet for the price).

However I'm trying to get Gnome to work and it's a pain in the ass. :/

The graphical installer works fine although only 800x600. Once RH is installed however Gnome either crashes, or the best I could get was 640x480 display while the desktop was 1024x768 (which meant I could do **** all as most of the screen was missing).

I've tried messing around with the generic setups but to no joy. frown.gif

Can anyone tell me the vga=xxx that is used in the RH install? I would guess at least that should work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well ok, I set up vga=791 and that works fine. I get console text in full screen and a cute penguin on boot up.

However I can't get poxy Gnome to work.

Finally got it sorted. All it took was to chat to some tech guy at redhat and some Korean guy in S.Korea. smile.gif

Linux is running sweet on the machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Woah, nice thread Hobbes! smile.gif

Al.

yea well, you have no idea how much fricken pain it was to find that info smile.gif On the plus side I now know other people like me will not suffer the same pain as I submitted the stuff to redhat and the guy said he'd pass it onto linux-laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

Hey Hobbes,
    I think you've gone to the wrong board for this .. this forum is dead. You'd probablylhave been better off writting to someone on the ilug or clug or something, hell .. you'd have been better off asking your postman for advice.

/me hangs up a sign, 'Moderator needs, must have brain.

[This message has been edited by Shagus (edited 11-07-2001).]

I asked my postman, he didn't know. smile.gif

point me to those sites if you would be so kind. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Connection is very slow, what's running NT? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shagus:
    Hey Hobbes,
    I think you've gone to the wrong board for this .. this forum is dead. You'd probablylhave been better off writting to someone on the ilug or clug or something, hell .. you'd have been better off asking your postman for advice.

/me hangs up a sign, 'Moderator needs, must have brain.

[This message has been edited by Shagus (edited 11-07-2001).]
    </font>

Ummm it's the users that keep any forum alive. The unix forum is extremly new and is gaining new users all the time. You have any useful suggestions please bring em up.

.logic.

• Advertisement

Well .. seems my remarks got some results .. you posted something

Sure .. its not upto the moderator to post everything .. but mabey generate a little interest.. this forum isnt a 'problems page' .. and 'agony aunt' .. its a Unix forum.

Thanks for the warning Logic1 ..

means alot to me.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    This is a warning for your post at:
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum26/HTML/000037.html#6

You are being warned for the following reason:
    Your post in Unix is both uninformative and unhelpful. Are you also suggesting I have no brain? I'm afraid I didn't quite understand your excuse for an action statement.

This warning was issued by logic1

http://www.boards.ie/
    </font>

Now for my useful part so I dont get another .. how many before you're out?

For problems and quick replies from ppl who have a clue, subscribe to the CLUG (you dont get bombarded with mails like you do on the ilug) and they're pretty sound and helpful
    .. http://cork.linux.ie

You can look at the archives on the sites (ilug aswell as clug) to see if you'd be interested in subscribing ..

PS. How many warnings do I get?

And are you required to, or is it just a courtesy, or just something you can say 'I gave him enough warnings .. so **** him'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hi shagus thanks for that info and advice and I adjusted your karma accordingly. If you wanna drop me a mail with any questions feel free. logic1(at)esatclear(dot)ie

.logic.

Advertisement