Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Card problem?

• 10-07-2005 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got a laptop from eBay, a Pentium 3 Dell Latitude. Its working fine etc., except the graphics card seems to be very outdated. Its a 12" screen laptop, but some of the colours are a bit patchy, rather than showing the true gradient. The highest colour display (Right click desktop, properties, settings) is High (24 Bit). And when I increase the screen resolution, anything above 800x600 means you have to pan the screen. The graphics card is called NeoMagic MagicGraph 256AV.

Any advice?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have you updated the driver for the neomagic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

petes wrote:
    Have you updated the driver for the neomagic?

No I dont know how. I dont have the software or anything. How likely would that be to solve the problem?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Post the model number of the laptop so we can see that the screen is able to do. I'd be surprised if a P3 laptop (even a 12") can't do 1024x768. Theres not much difference between 24bit and 32bit unless you are working with graphics, and I doubt you are doing that on a 12" screen.

Scrolling at 800x600 sugeests you haven't the graphics corectly figures and have some form of virtual desktop turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

What OS is it , presuming windows 98

Sounds like a driver problem there was a few issues with that card in its time

although 1024x768 wasn't standard on 12 inch screen originally so thats why the screen is panning above this most likely

Win 98 was on it originally, however I have installed Win Xp on it now. Its a Dell Latitude LS, model number PP01S. Yeah, anything above 800x600 and the screen is panning.
    Thanks v.much.

• Advertisement

800x600 is the max

manual is here http://wpcarey.asu.edu/content/it/notebook/Documentation/LS/Guide.pdf

1024x768 will work on an external monitor though

set the monitor type to laptop display panel 800x600 and no plug and play monitor

Damn thats annoying, but thanks v.much for the help.

"set the monitor type to laptop display panel 800x600 and no plug and play monitor"
    - How do I do this?

Also, is there any way to make the colour range higher, as in, to increase it above High (24 Bit) ?

EDIT: Would updating the drivers allow me to do so?

Cheers

Cianos wrote:
    Damn thats annoying, but thanks v.much for the help.

"set the monitor type to laptop display panel 800x600 and no plug and play monitor"
    - How do I do this?

Also, is there any way to make the colour range higher, as in, to increase it above High (24 Bit) ?

EDIT: Would updating the drivers allow me to do so?

Cheers

Since that would just slow it down a lot, why would you want to do that?

the laptop display 800x600 setting is to optimise the display when just using the latop screen , go to display properties advance , monitor and change the driver there

24 bit colour is fine and 32 bit will slow down your machine even if you could select it ( which I don't think you can) don't

To speed up the display I'd run at the lowest colour depth you need. Probably 16bit is the best compromise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement