Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish drivers are the pits - New Ad Campaign Merged Thread

Options
  • 10-07-2005 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I heard on the radio few minutes ago that there should be TV Ads coming out to educate drivers, the two being mentioned were overtaking and motorway driving. Should stop people going the whole way from Portlaoise to the Tallaght exit of the M50 in the outside lane :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One of the papers has an article on it. They are ditching the blood and guts ads for educayshun, how to use a roundabout etc.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2765-1688050,00.html
    IT IS back to basics for Irish motorists. An advertising campaign will be launched later this year to teach “dismal” Irish drivers fundamental tasks such as how to use roundabouts, overtake safely and drive properly on motorways.

The National Safety Council (NSC) is spending €300,000 on the new road safety campaign aimed at correcting common mistakes such as hogging the fast lane on motorways and circling roundabouts in the outside lane.

According to Alan Richardson, the NSC’s acting chief executive, Irish people are “fairly brutal” when it comes to essential driving skills and the problem is causing chaos on our roads.

“Irish drivers are the pits,” he said. “We hog the road on motorways, we haven’t a clue when it comes to roundabouts and we can’t overtake safely. The campaign will be similar to ones used years ago, but will be more modern in style.”

The council will focus on improving aspects of driving that are not included in the country’s test for learners. “It doesn’t help that some of the most important parts of driving are not part of the test for provisional drivers,” said Richardson, who described this as “a disgrace”.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah its mostly women drivers that are bad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Article in todays Sunday Times

Quotes from Alan Richardson, the Irish National Safety Council (NSC) chief executive
    Irish people are fairly brutal when it comes to essential driving skills and the problem is causing chaos on our roads

Irish drivers are the pits. We hog the road on motorways, we haven't a clue when it comes to roundabouts and we can't overtake safely

He goes on giving out that motorway driving and overtaking are not part of the driving test calling this a disgrace and that people hog the overtaking lane
    Overtaking in Ireland is often executed sloppily, creating a risk of fatal accidents

Sometimes people overtake when there is no point in doing so and then execute the manoeuvre badly

They go out onto the wrong side of the road and then barely move to get past the car they want to overtake. In this case they should ask themselves why they are overtaking in the first place. If they still want ot do it, they should do it quickly and at speed. Get out, get past and get back in with adequate space

If it's necessary and safer they need to go a little over the speed limit, but if this is the safest way to do it then it makes sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can't argue with the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah there really are some brutal drivers out there.
    I can't count the number of times I've seen someone tailgaiting right up someone elses arse... only to eventually overtake them and drive at the same speed they were going anyway.
    Not to mention the rally-wanna-be retards who take a corner so fast that they cross the white line into oncoming traffic... I spotted one last year, and if we'd been 5 seconds further down the road he would have hit us... Grade-A plonker.
    It makes you think how a lot of accidents are completely avoidable.
    How about some sort of psychological review as part of the test?
    I mean you can be a good little boy for the test, then piss about on the roads like a wánker once you've passed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's really irritating how people use the overtaking lane as a 'fast lane' and don't get the f*ck out of it. I wonder how many drivers know that the lane on the far right is just for overtaking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Overtaking in Ireland is often executed sloppily, creating a risk of fatal accidents

Sometimes people overtake when there is no point in doing so and then execute the manoeuvre badly

They go out onto the wrong side of the road and then barely move to get past the car they want to overtake. In this case they should ask themselves why they are overtaking in the first place. If they still want ot do it, they should do it quickly and at speed. Get out, get past and get back in with adequate space

If it's necessary and safer they need to go a little over the speed limit, but if this is the safest way to do it then it makes sense
    Advocating 100mph drive-bys tut tut ;) unfortunately its either black or white with the Gardai, zero tolerance, unless you're in Donegal where you could be framed for something entirely unrelated for breaking the speed limit, or sneezing in the wrong direction even..

I digress, minimum speed limits for major routes should be called for, ie. everyone drive at least 50mph on said road- or use public transport instead if they are incapable of this. Disgruntled drivers in underpowered sh|theaps trying to overtake these roadhogs are obviously a huge cause of accidents.

Its not unknown for high flying execs. in uberpanzers to be forced into tackling say 12-16 disgruntled idiots in a row thesedays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I digress, minimum speed limits for major routes should be called for, ie. everyone drive at least 50mph on said road- or use public transport instead if they are incapable of this.
    I'd rather see a law that would force you to pull in if you have a tailback of x cars behind you. The problem with a minimum speed is what do you do in fog/ice/bucketing rain/etc.? Too many variables in many instances to set a blanket limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

:mad: Maybe this is a little off topic, if it is I apologise.

I am fed up with ignorant speed freaks who think that they have the right to run me off the road!

I drive on the M1 quite a lot from Dublin down as far as Dunleer and drive mainly in the inside lane. When I am overtaking, I remain within the speed limit of 120kph so when overtaking another vehicle travelling at 115kph, it can take a little time to get around it.

My gripe is with the drivers who see the M1 as a race track and drive up behind me flashing and blowing their horns. Inevitably most of these drivers are in northern reg cars.

Is there anyone out there that understands the menality of these lunatics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Gas thing is, we're all reading this and thinking it's everyone else that is the problem, when in reality the greatest affliction affecting the brain of every motorist (including me), is that I'm a better driver than everyone else and that I'm always in the right.

Therefore, this campaign is a waste of money as no amount of advertising can change the ego of the driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Boggle wrote:
    The problem with a minimum speed is what do you do in fog/ice/bucketing rain/etc.? Too many variables in many instances to set a blanket limit.

Some US freeways have a minimum speed of 45mph, and a maximum of 65. This makes for low relative speeds, as long as everyone is going in the one direction, which makes for a lower number of accidents.

I have a problem with people towing car trailers on the motorway at the limit for cars. I believe the maximum legal speed with a trailer is 45mph, but you often see people belting along blissfully unaware of the trailer in a speed-wobble behind them. Car trailers should not be allowed on the motorway, IMHO.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some US freeways have a minimum speed of 45mph, and a maximum of 65. This makes for low relative speeds, as long as everyone is going in the one direction, which makes for a lower number of accidents.
    Don't our motorways state that vehicles travelling under 30mph (presumably now changed to kmph) are not allowed (despite our busiest motorway encouraging low speeds)!

I have a problem with people towing car trailers on the motorway at the limit for cars. I believe the maximum legal speed with a trailer is 45mph, but you often see people belting along blissfully unaware of the trailer in a speed-wobble behind them. Car trailers should not be allowed on the motorway, IMHO.
    I suspect the majority of cars pulling trailers are being driven by people who are not licenced to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

kbannon wrote:
    Don't our motorways state that vehicles travelling under 30mph (presumably now changed to kmph) are not allowed (despite our busiest motorway encouraging low speeds)!
    It's another traffic law that isn't enforced though. I've seen the gards pass a pedal cyclist on the M11 and not bother stopping him. Actually it's pretty regular to see pedal cyclists on the M11 - but sure those people speeding back in Kilmac far more important to stop... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

So speed isn't the cause of all the crashes.. wow wait til the spindoctors get a hold of this one.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

css wrote:
    So speed isn't the cause of all the crashes..

Your right it's not. But it is the easiest of the causes of crashes to "address." People whine about road deaths so they set up a few speed checks and say look at us!

One of the points all the ant-speed check people make is that the speed checks are inapporpriate. Non rush hour on a dual carriageway for example. Maybe they are trying to run the checks at a more appropriate time. Is it not the case that a lot of accidents happen after 2300Hrs?

The thinking behind it is quite simple:

Problem- A percentage of accidents are cause by speeding (I prefer the term inappropriate speed myself.)

Solution- Carry out speed checks. If you fine speeders they may change their behaviour. If they do not change their behaviour they will get banned and removed from the road and will, therefore, not speed anymore. Thsi should reduce the amount of accidents / incidents / deaths.

If you believe speeding is the root of all evil then this makes perfect sense.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

alleepally wrote:
    Gas thing is, we're all reading this and thinking it's everyone else that is the problem, when in reality the greatest affliction affecting the brain of every motorist (including me), is that I'm a better driver than everyone else and that I'm always in the right.

Therefore, this campaign is a waste of money as no amount of advertising can change the ego of the driver.

Funny one that... Very true...
    BTW your a crap driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

alleepally wrote:

It is true, but I do believe education works. An ad campaign just saying "Irish drivers are crap! Get better!" wouldn't work, because people would say "Ah, sure that doesn't apply to me, I'm great." But an ad campaign with simple facts - "Did you know it's an offence to drive in the outside lane when you'e not overtaking? You are obliged to pull in to allow faster vehicles to overtake you.", with some simple and obvious demonstrations of such. Lord knows, I come in here and complain about people, but I have learned a surprising amount about proper road etiquette and technique on boards.ie from people stating the plain truth, and from investigating the little questions.

If you can educate people without actually telling them they're crap or accusing them of needing the education, they will learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

slumped wrote:
    :mad: Maybe this is a little off topic, if it is I apologise.

I am fed up with ignorant speed freaks who think that they have the right to run me off the road!

I drive on the M1 quite a lot from Dublin down as far as Dunleer and drive mainly in the inside lane. When I am overtaking, I remain within the speed limit of 120kph so when overtaking another vehicle travelling at 115kph, it can take a little time to get around it.

My gripe is with the drivers who see the M1 as a race track and drive up behind me flashing and blowing their horns. Inevitably most of these drivers are in northern reg cars.

Is there anyone out there that understands the menality of these lunatics?

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh! When overtaking you get past as fast as you can in safety.

There is NO excuse for dawling past another car be it on a single carriage or multiple carriage road.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There's only one problem with Irish drivers: rudeness.

* sitting up your arse on a country road, and then when you signal and pull in and stop to let them pass going by wailing their horn at you;
    * screeching at cyclists who don't GET OUT OF MY WAY fast enough;
    * using the horn because someone up front isn't going to move away - and this is when the horn-user can't see the reason that the guy up front isn't moving, like a blind person crossing the road or kids on bicycles or someone making a complicated turn;
    * carving up other drivers;
    * instructing other drivers on how they should drive: "What do you think you're doing, you stupid ****?" - often having paused in their mobile phone conversation to do so;
    * smoking while driving...

and so on. At the root of every one of the common driving errors in Ireland is sheer ignorant rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

I think is the best idea I have heard in years. There are so many people over the age of 50 who never sat a driving test or even looked at the rules of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i thought that on the motorways you cant go below 50kmh unless your stopping or in traffic.

I always thought it was the case with the huge blue sign with all the cannots when you get on to the motorway.

I think big signs on the motorways would be a additive to the ads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

luckat wrote:
    There's only one problem with Irish drivers: rudeness.

* sitting up your arse on a (snipped). ........ (snipped) paused in their mobile phone conversation to do so;
    * smoking while driving...

smoking while driving :confused:

That's hardly rude. Unless I lean into your window and blow smoke in your face. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

was on my motorbike going down the quays and had a smoke flicked out the window of a taxi in front of me, i disregarded it at them not knowing, untill the idiot stuck his head out the window and laughed.

Isnt there meant to be no smoking in a taxi, obhiously not enforced like other things in this country.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sparky_S wrote:
    was on my motorbike going down the quays and had a smoke flicked out the window of a taxi in front of me, i disregarded it at them not knowing, untill the idiot stuck his head out the window and laughed.

Isnt there meant to be no smoking in a taxi, obhiously not enforced like other things in this country.
    on the contrary, read this
    By the way did you complain to the gardai about this taxi drivers actions?
    Also are you sure it was in use as a taxi at the time in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Sparky_S wrote:
    i thought that on the motorways you cant go below 50kmh unless your stopping or in traffic.

I always thought it was the case with the huge blue sign with all the cannots when you get on to the motorway.

I wrote something similar on another thread. I think it was Victor who pulled me up on it. The ROTR state the fehicle has to be capable of a speed of 30mph (not 50kmph!). Not that the minimum speed is 30mph.

But you got to ask yourself why that should be the law: is it to get traffic moving or not? To keep cyclists off the road? I used to be able to cycle for short bursts at over 30mph. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

mike65 wrote:
    Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh! When overtaking you get past as fast as you can in safety.

There is NO excuse for dawling past another car be it on a single carriage or multiple carriage road.

Mike.

One problem in this country, especially due to some bad roads eg short stretches is that we get so badly crippled for big and powerfull cars that someone in a eg 1L car has to ring its neck to try and get past quickly. I'm not saying you have to be a speed demon but it does make overtaking so much less of a death wish by having the power when you need it.

A Punto and a Mercedes crash, who do you think has the better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

the big problem with this campaign is that its an NSC one and will be totally unrealistic just like their previous ones where fellas tumble their cars through garden fences into little kids on a daily basis :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

a_ominous wrote:
    I wrote something similar on another thread. I think it was Victor who pulled me up on it. The ROTR state the fehicle has to be capable of a speed of 30mph (not 50kmph!). Not that the minimum speed is 30mph.

But you got to ask yourself why that should be the law: is it to get traffic moving or not? To keep cyclists off the road? I used to be able to cycle for short bursts at over 30mph. :confused:
    Think the road act specifically says no pedal cycles on motorways, regardless whether they're capable of doing 30mph...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

GAFF wrote:
    A Punto and a Mercedes crash, who do you think has the better chance.

I cannot stand this line of thinking. A Mercedes and a super tanker crash - who has the better chance? Or should we all buy Ford Explorers? Oh no, they flip like a pancake and explode at the merest sight of another car. I know, let's all buy Hummers. But then what if a truck hits you? We'd better not settle for anything less than this

The SMART car when launched was proven to be safer in both active and passive safety than its contemporary C-Class, despite being 1/3 the weight. Small does not mean unsafe. Big does not mean safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

I witnessed two prime examples of the need for something to be done to address motorway driving on the way home last night. Got onto the M4 at Maynooth heading towards the M50. This was around 10:30pm, traffic was light, yet there was a guy in the overtaking lane with NO cars in the inside lane for as far as I could see ahead. And he just stayed there, obviously in a world of his own. Later on down the road I saw a car with its hazard lights on and thought oh great whats happened now, but even travelling at 120kph I wasn't getting any nearer. So I thought he's forgotten to turn them off, but no.....The car was being towed, by another car, with a rope about 2 - 3 metres in front, at 120kph :confused:

Advertisement