Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Linux distribution is best?

• 11-07-2001 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I want to setup my machine to dual boot 98 and some version of Linux. I want Linux so I can simply learn the different shells, admin servers, and test programs. I am a student/developer and want to be able to port software to Linux and test it myself. I also want to be able to do things like admin apache, application servers, for example on it.

I tried installing Red Hat 5.1 on an old 486 about a year ago. It installed OK but I could not get X-Windows up an running because of a graphics problem. Is there a distribution that won't hassle me about this kind of stuff. Coz I don't have time to mess around with configs etc. I don't want Super Linux, I just want a version of Linux that I can install in an hour or so.

Which version of Linux (considering the above) will
    1. Be easiest to install
    2. Easiest for a Linux newbie to get the hang of.

Is there anywhere on the net where I can get a step by step to installing that version along with my 98 OS (using LILO or something).

Thanx in advance,

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

hehe this topics been brought up more than once wink.gif well the fact that you had a graphics problem with 5.1 wouldindicate you have a 3d card.. if this is the case any distro with a newish version of xfree86 will do you. Check out the supported hardware in each version on www.xfree86.org

Typically this would include any of the newer distros like redhat 7 would be fine or suse 7 etc...

as to which distro is better well i'm not gonna bring that up again rolleyes.gif but i use redhat and suse and find em perfect.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Thanx logic

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Mandrake 8 is nice, had no problems with it, and has the latests Xfree86 too. I have it, RedHat, Corel, and Caldera OpenLinux installed (Don't ask smile.gif ) and I think I prefer Mandrake 8... Redhat following a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've tried Corel Linux and Redhat (The ones directed at the non-server users). Any other *NIX before that were text based. smile.gif

Redhat is defo better, however I found GNOME crashes a lot and doesn't work well on my laptop. KDE Works like a dream.

Advertisement