Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It speaks" from today's Sunday Indo

Options
  • 10-07-2005 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

"Staying close to customers and responding to their needs will be the best guarantee to deliver solid returns"
    Some highlights of the Chairman's statement from the 2005 eircom annual report
    On Investment
    "eircom is poised to take full advantage of the telecoms revolution if allowed. It has returned to the stock markets so that it can attract international capital. The broadband platform has been rolled out across every town in the country. And mobile re-entry will happen as soon as an economically viable route is found"
    On regulation
    "It remains beyond comprehension why a cable into a house is unregulated, a mobile signal is unregulated, a satellite service is unregulated but a copper wire is regulated to within an inch of its life"
    "It is ironic that the main barrier to investment is the risk created not by the market but by the regulator. If the regulator is unable to do its best to ensure that there is an adequate incentive for investors, then they should at least practice forbearance in the face of unpredictable markets for new technologies"
    On Broadband
    "eircom's task is clear, if difficult and costly to achieve. We believe everyone should have broadband and we are constantly striving to overcome barriers to near 100% availability"
    On customer value
    "our prices have fallen 50% in real terms since 1997, an outstanding achievement in one of Europe's most high cost economies, our universal service obligation is delivered enthusiastically in every corner and parish of the country, look, for instance, at eircom's rollout of broadband, delivered despite the scepticism of our critics. I a short period one in ten households now has broadband and 23% of homes with PC's are broadband connected. And one of my great pleasures during the past year, on behalf of eircom, has been to lead the charge for customers to get a fair deal in mobile"
    On the future
    "That is the challenge going forward, to recognise that the customer is always right. I have commended it to management and I commend it to shareholders as a paradigm of the way to continue to build value in this great national enterprise

Sir Anthony O'Reilly

So, there ye go, we got it all wrong all along

jbkenn

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jbkenn wrote:
    Some highlights of the Chairman's statement from the 2005 eircom annual report

" our universal service obligation is delivered enthusiastically in every corner and parish of the country"
    LOL . That decrepit sh1theap of a network of theirs is crumbling to pieces along every road in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

On regulation
    "It remains beyond comprehension why a cable into a house is unregulated, a mobile signal is unregulated, a satellite service is unregulated but a copper wire is regulated to within an inch of its life"
    "It is ironic that the main barrier to investment is the risk created not by the market but by the regulator. If the regulator is unable to do its best to ensure that there is an adequate incentive for investors, then they should at least practice forbearance in the face of unpredictable markets for new technologies"

Yeah, how dare they regulate eircom!?!
    We would still be using DialUp if it wasnt for eircom being bloody regulated!!!
    Dialup bills for the time I spend using Broadband would probable be twice at least what I pay for Broadband.
    Still remember my last DialUp bill before I got broadband....it was over €130....I now pay €40 to BT for 2Mbit BB!!!

Dont you need to be British to be referred to as "Sir" when knighted.
    Bob Geldoff is British(parents) so hes called Sir...whats Tony's excuse???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Oh my God, and the Sunday Indo printed Tony's verbal ****E ? :eek: I swear I will never look at that bog paper, ever again :mad:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That report was published over a week ago. I'm suprised it hasnt been printed in the press sooner. It's dissapointing that there is no article pointing out the flaws (bull****) in the report.

IMO the only barriers they have to overcome are their ineptitude at running anything more than their own headquarters (brand spanking new on Stephen's Green) and their own line distance limit which only serves to fail lines that can handle 1 MBs. I couldn't even be bothered to go into the pairgain issue when they are still in this day and age installing them.

At least when McRedmond speaks its more of a misrepresentation of facts than obvious lies. Here are eircom, possibly applying for a 3G license while at the same time "mobile signals are unregulated". :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

While it's not an article about the Eircom PR, it is a noteworthy article in today's Sunday Times by Ciaran Hancock
    Eircom sticks its brass neck out over Comreg

WHEN it comes to brass necks, Eircom has one of the shiniest. In a recent submission to Comreg, the company is reported by The Irish Times to have accused the regulator of stifling investment in telecoms. It must have had Oisin Fanning, the chief executive of Smart Telecom, and Mike Maloney at BT choking on their corn flakes.

Fanning is currently pursuing a High Court action against Eircom in which it is alleged that the former state monopoly is abusing its dominant position in the broadband market. Smart, set up only five years ago, is leasing broadband lines from Eircom but claims the former state-owned entity is making it unnecessarily difficult for users to make the switch. Customers aren’t able to keep their phone numbers and also have to switch back to Eircom for a short time before finally making the move to Smart.

Eircom is also seeking a €4.9m deposit from Smart as security for future trading.

Eircom lost 25,000 customers in the first three months of the year as competitors used the advent of single billing to nibble at its market share.

The company still dominates the residential market, however, and has used every tactic available to it to slow the entry of new players, primarily by blocking local-loop unbundling, the so-called last mile of network from telephone exchanges to homes.

It has been aided by Comreg’s inability to force Eircom to comply with various directives on unbundling, with the result that the government is planning to beef up the regulator’s powers. Eircom, not surprisingly, would prefer matters of competition to be left to the Competition Authority, a body whose bark has been shown to be worse that its bite.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

At least when McRedmond speaks its more of a misrepresentation of facts than obvious lies.
    How dare you talk in this manner about a man whose foundation has such noble aspirations?
    "The aims of the Foundation are to support charitable endeavours for the betterment of Ireland and to promote excellence, global vision, community responsibility and leadership." Quote from www.oreillyfoundation.ie

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thats insane!
    Eircom looking for a 4.9m deposit from Smart, its not like their some mam & dad family business outfit or anyting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

originally posted by eircomtribunal
    How dare you talk in this manner about a man whose foundation has such noble aspirations?
    "The aims of the Foundation are to support charitable endeavours for the betterment of Ireland and to promote excellence, global vision, community responsibility and leadership." Quote from www.oreillyfoundation.ie
    My apologies. I should've known better. Sir Anthony O'Reilly obviously has the interests of all of us and the country at heart. His devotion to the betterment of Irish telecoms is plain to see along the lanes and roads of the countryside. Look at all the poles everywhere! Oh what's this? There's p&t written on most of them...

Advertisement