Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixmania-are they any good?

• 10-07-2005 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I'm just pricing a couple of things and Pixmania are doing some very good deals (namely, a Zen Micro + universal power adapter for €219). It seems a bit too good to be true, so I'm just wondering are Pixmania as good as they seem? Is their delivery, return/repair service, aftersales service etc any good?
    Basically, where's the catch!

Thanks

Nala

EDIT: This is the power adapter-will this let me charge the player without having to hook it up to a computer? Can I just plug it into a power socket in the wall like I would my phone? Very little information given on the site.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Read this thread, in summary some thought it was good others not so....that's pretty much what you'd expect from any retailer. As long as you don't have my problems with them you should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i didnt like em, mainly because their customer support was awful. I ordered a pretty nice camcorder with tripod etc of them then their customer support emailed me asking for photo id. I sent it but the email address of customer support didnt work and every attempt to contact them in their website failed. in the end they cancelled my order and sent me back my money.

so i was disapointed.

(shockingly i picked up a better camera + tripod etc cheaper on the high street, very unusual)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Their prices for Zen Micros are great (shame about their iPod prices) but they give very little description of the accessories that come in their package deals. Whatever MP3 player I decide to get, I've got to be able to charge it without a computer, or else it's no good to me when I'm away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭NANOJO

Nala I Have Used Pixmania Before With No Trouble If You Are Looking For A Zen Micro A Friend Of Mine Picked Up One From Team Digital.net Price Was 180 Euros Ex Postage Inc Universal Power Adaptor And Zen Micro Remote Control They Will Also Gift Wrap To Avoid Customs Some Irish Customers Qoutes In Their Happy Customers Reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've only had one experience with Pixmania and it was bad - they sent me the same order three times (?!), charged me and it took a month to get refunded and postage costs back... Better than other retailers I've had problems with, but their customer service is truly attrocious. For one, if you e-mail the support address directly, all your mails get bounced. You have to use their stupid website form, which limits how many characters you can type in, previous e-mail history is deleted, you seem to get to different people with each reply to the same case and they never give their full names in the e-mail signature... Not very transparent IMO.

Then again, you could have a brilliant experience with them... like with pretty much any retailer I guess.

Odd, Komplett seems to have raised the price on the Micro... I'm almost positive it was €180 up to a week or so ago (before shipping) - it's now €199. Except for the Green one which is €189 - guess we now know which is the most hedious of the ten colors :D .

• Advertisement

Nala - to answer your edit in the original post:

That is indeed the power adapter you need. It's 110-240V, so it will work in the US or Europe/Asia and the "universal" travel adapter should have the end plugs for UK/Ireland, EU and US I guess... And it is just like a mobile phone, plug it into the wall outlet and the other end into the USB connector on the Zen Micro...

My Zen Micro included all the accessories and the same power adapter is in it, except that I only have a UK end plug - it's very simple to interchange with the others supplied in the "universal" kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

lads ive ordered stuff as far back as january from pixmania.com in the irish section and hav'nt had one problem, i used CC and was never asked for photo id, the only thing i have noticed just recent was 2 late orders that all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

J-blk wrote:
    Odd, Komplett seems to have raised the price on the Micro... I'm almost positive it was €180 up to a week or so ago (before shipping) - it's now €199. Except for the Green one which is €189 - guess we now know which is the most hedious of the ten colors :D .

They have raised the price, a couple of weeks ago all the Micros were €189. If I was to ger a zen micro it would probably be the green that I'd go for. It's a bit **** the way only the face of the player is coloured and the rest of it is white. I can't seem to find out how much delivery is on the Komplett site, does anyone know? Oh and if I was to buy from a website e.g. Pixmania or Team Digital, that weren't based in Ireland, would the warranty still be valid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

10euro for An Post and GLS, DHL is probally a bit more with Komplett

Nala wrote:
    if I was to buy from a website e.g. Pixmania or Team Digital, that weren't based in Ireland, would the warranty still be valid?

The warranty is the same for all of Europe, as long as the country it was purchased in is in the EU (I think - could be all of Europe, regardless). So, even if you buy it from a French retailer like Pixmania and it goes belly up within warranty, you can still have it replaced here in Ireland. Just hang onto the invoice.

As for the Green Zen Micro you've got your eye on... try seeing it up close in a shop first. I found that the pictures on websites don't always look right - for example, my red one is a lot nicer in real life than on the various webpages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I bought a camera from them about a year ago, all I was asked for was proof of address, I sent a screenshot of my vodafone online bill! got it in about 3 days, couldn't believe how fast it was!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

They no longer accept mobile phone bills or online statements of any kind.

If you are opting for delivery to the same address as your invoice address, please send us something that has your name and address on it from the following :
    A copy of your driving licence, OR
    A copy of your social security card, OR
    A copy of your bank statement, OR
    A copy of your council tax bill, OR
    A copy of a recent utility bill.

Why they couldn't validate my delivery address off of my billing address i don't know but i cancelled my order due to not being able to get any of those items within a week. I sent an e-mail saying i wished to cancel my order as i couldn't provide them with any of the above and got no response. Checked my bank account at close of the day and the money had been taken. I sent another e-mail the next morning to the same account and again got no reply. Ended up ringing them to make sure it had been cancelled. It's not the type of company i would be dealing with again when they won't even just acknowledge me cancelling an order.

Advertisement