Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other bums here?

Options
  • 10-07-2005 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else here unemployed still like myself? Do you all have jobs? Have you had to quit them to study or anything like that?

I think I'm gonna make a serious try this week to get a job as my drinking money has washed away.

Anyone got any tips? Is it wise to join an agency? I was thinking of heading into FAS to see if they knew of any job openings but I don't know if they help out students like myself or not...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

i hear ya :mad:

have sent away 14cv's to companies looking for industrial placement - as to be expected no luck

as for just regular jobs i'd just have to quit in september and for temp/summer jobs it's a bit late considering it's the middle of july and collage starts back on the 12th for me :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

here's one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Any other bums here?

*cough* Ahem *cough* :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

^^ I STILL beat you hands down SebmyLove!

I very much doubt that, kittenkiller, I sincerely do.

I am the King of Procrastination and Bumliness.

All Hail!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

4 yrs in arts & not finished 2nd yr yet?

4 yrs in arts & not finished 2nd yr yet?

20 years old and never had a job?
    On boards instead of studying for repeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It was strangly hard to get a job this Summer. I've never had a problem getting a summer job before, but it took me up until last Friday to get one this year. I registered with about 4 different temp agencies, but nothing was happening I have one now though starting next week with event guard, basically acting as a steward(ess) at concerts and that, taking tickets and directing ppl and that sort of thing (you know the ppl you see hanging around wearing black chatting to each other!). Some good sites:

www.fas.ie
    www.nixers.ie
    www.irishjobs.ie (click employers from the "employers/agencies/both choice, and type "temporary" into the text box if its just for summer)
    www.hays.ie (more for grads, but comp sci students would probably find some stuff here)

Is it just me or is there a huge amount of jobs for people who can program databases and SQL And there seemed to be millions for accountants, and ppl studying accounts and accounts assistants and all that - we've all picked the wrong courses!

Hmmmmmmmmm........
    Some good points there Seb.

But my bum-claim-to-fame is that i've been to parties attended by most of last yrs SU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Well not exactly a bum, currently studying away in Italy-hehehe, its great "studying". Haven't worked in 2weeks, sweet bliss. I do have to go to college everyday (ok bar wknds), but, it beats working...yea I'm abit of a bum atm. However it'll be a different story when I go home in a few weeks, back to work..if I still have work, or if I can find a job...eek!! Meh, for the moment methinks I'll chillax...:) How's everyone getting on with ye ol repeat study...?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Strangely enough i've been employed almost all the summers since 4th year in school... i envy some people (not looking at Seb or KittenKiller of course) ;)

Get your ass back home Alana or you'll miss anything resembling an irish summer! And oh, any free tickets blondie? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I have a job, sssssssh... it's a secret :)

But tomorrow I'm doing freelance work for some construction firm in Dun Laoghaire.
    Their 'puters broke and I have to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Seriously how on earth can none of you lazy so and so's not find a job. I guarantee you if you bother yourself to walk around town for an hour you will see at least 5 places looking for part time staff. The whole ''there are no jobs available'' excuse is a load of BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seriously how on earth can none of you lazy so and so's not find a job. I guarantee you if you bother yourself to walk around town for an hour you will see at least 5 places looking for part time staff. The whole ''there are no jobs available'' excuse is a load of BS.

I don't understand it myself. I mean sure I haven't bothered handing CVs into places but there must be more to it than that.

I think they're intimidated by my niceness.

I don't understand it myself. I mean sure I haven't bothered handing CVs into places but there must be more to it than that.

I think they're intimidated by my niceness.

Yeah I hear ya. Any type of retail outlets or restaurants are obviously not looking for nice people as most of them are absolute pains to deal with.... they want baxtards!

Hey enough of that you! I applied to about 100 different jobs, and only got a job there last week (Redalert if I see you climbing over a fence I'll turn a blind eye ;) ). And I've had 14 jobs already in my 22 years, so its not as though I'm unemployable or something. Twas just very very difficult this year for some reason :confused:

blondie83 wrote:
    Hey enough of that you! I applied to about 100 different jobs, and only got a job there last week (Redalert if I see you climbing over a fence I'll turn a blind eye ;) ). And I've had 14 jobs already in my 22 years, so its not as though I'm unemployable or something. Twas just very very difficult this year for some reason :confused:

14 jobs is alot indeed! Over 22 years? Did you get your 1st job when you were 2 or something? :confused: My point was that if you are looking for a cushy office job, forget about it. Retail and restaurants are the only one's really available. Last March befroe I got my summer work I spent 10 minutes browsing shop windows looking for places advertising for part time staff. In that 10 minutes I saw 5 retail outlets advertising. Now obviously in the summer there will be less jobs out there but the point is don't moan about not being able to find a job..... you should have applied early!

I haven't bothered getting one of the type of jobs zane mentioned simply because i know once september 12th comes around i'd just have to quit.

either that or lie to get the job and then suddenly leave in septmeber after saying i could work through college - thus getting no reference or a job with company x again

I have two jobs now, cos I got an office job temping which is cool. :) I'm tired though, and meant to be working(security) at some dance music thing down in Cork this Sunday - has anyone heard anything about it, or does anyone know what dance music concerts are like? I've just got a bad feeling that everyone there will be on LSD, dunno why!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It really depends on the sort of dance blondie. I've been to quite a few house gigs and there's no more LSD or the like there than in an average pub on a saturday night - tends to get a reasonable enough crowd, no more crazy than Whelans would be. If it's gonna be commercial Dance you'll get millions of teenagers acting the maggot and if it's something like trance or techno then you'll see the E-heads come out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement

Out of the 1,500 yo-yop I've earned this summer I've officialy spent 1,200 of that.

I'm such a impulse spender w@nker I tell ye. I'd been better off not having a job TBH

Want my job tribulus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

blondie83 wrote:
    I've just got a bad feeling that everyone there will be on LSD, dunno why!

are you also going back in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Services are looking for graduates and post-grads.

Trinity are looking for people to get their brains scanned.

I've had two jobs this summer, and didn't have a problem getting either of them. Then again, they're not exactly desirable jobs. But hey, it beats Conduit. Twelve hours asking people how you can help them gets a little tiring.

Want my job tribulus?

seriously??? yes please :)

tribulus wrote:
    seriously??? yes please :)

Do you want my job Science Tramp?

Do you REALLY want my job?.............................

eh well..........

NO! :p

Advertisement