Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much are you prepared to pay?

• 12-07-2001 9:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Anyone up for a cheap redhat distro? check it out....
    Redhat

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well the distro is free, but with RH your really paying for support.

In that case for what the software is I would they are justified in charging that.

There is nothing (to my knowledge) anything to stop you from downloading it and not getting support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

And even if you were lazy and decided to buy it, that price is amazingly cheap for an enterprise database solution.

I don't really know much about PostgreSQL but if it is up to enterprise standard, that RedHat solution may even drag me away from UnixWare!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well taken from here.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Great Bridge PostgreSQL includes the Great Bridge Installer, comprehensive technical documentation, leading PostgreSQL administration tools, phone and email installation support and software updates for one year.

Price: $495</font>

So even if, as Hobbes said your paying mostly for support I don't see where they can justify charging £1,800 for support!!

Greatbridge offer PostgreSQL with everything bar onsite support for a full year for £495!! I say buy it from GreatBridge and pick up redhat 7.1 with a full manual for $40!!

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I forgot to add that both Redhat and Greatbridge only offer the unlimited phone and web support for the first 30 days from when you register!! but greatbridge provide updates by e-mail for a full year wink.gif

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wintermute

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by logic1:
    So even if, as Hobbes said your paying mostly for support I don't see where they can justify charging £1,800 for support!!
    </font>

It depends what level of support were're talking about. If it's 24/7 telephone support that has an *experienced* UNIX person at the other end then it's very cheap.

About a month ago, I paid $800 aprox. for a 30 minute tech. support call to Checkpoint - 30 minutes for them to tell me how to get around a bug in their own product! So, $1800 for a year seems a very good deal!

• Advertisement
Advertisement