Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas Hyde Gallery

• 10-07-2005 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

Have you been recently? Do you go regularly?

I was there recently for the first time. I was surprised by how small it was and how simple in design and presentation. My first impression was how good it would be to do judo in.

I can't remember the artist's on display, but there were about 10 portraits (just head) and a few of full body pose. these bodies seem to be backwards.

there was a "sculpure" of some rather sexy thing, i can't really explain it without it sounding very simple. i was listening to a simon and garfunkel cd while in there so it was all very amusing.

i wasn't overly impressed. i may go again, i assume the art on display rotates regularly. i'm not an art apreaction type really, my favourite is renaissance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I like that there's not too much space, i can be in and out of there having had a quick glance at all the stuff if it doesn't appeal to me, or can stay ages looking at something thinking 'wtf'?

i go nowhere near as much as i intend to...but it's nice to know it's there. it can be relaxing for a 20 minute time out, especially if i'm meeting someone at the ramp and they've texted to say they're running late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Haven't been to that place since Art college. Should really start going to these places again. They've always had interesting exhibtions on when I went. Interesting one with flowers a few years back. Can't beat the National though!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

National History Museum is best museum ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I second that.

3 Floors!
    3 Fcking floors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭dublinguy2004

That Yeat's exhibition last year was really brilliant.

• Advertisement

That Yeat's exhibition last year was really brilliant.

When was that on and where?? The National? :( Love Yeats. Remember his paintings even from when I went to the gallery in 2nd class...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

yeh i saw the exhibition, wasn't as good as the one in the RHA( which has just finished) but still pretty good all the same and completely free, some lovely painitngs of his in the national art gallery also.

here's one for you
    grass.jpg
    i had to go into the Douglas Hyde Galllery and write about all the meanings of the paintings as part of my art and design course in Occupational Therapy (in first year)..

Larianne wrote:
    When was that on and where?? The National? :( Love Yeats. Remember his paintings even from when I went to the gallery in 2nd class...

On a somewhat related note, the provost's house has a collection of about 20 or so Yeats paintings.

fascinating.

Sev wrote:
    On a somewhat related note, the provost's house has a collection of about 20 or so Yeats paintings.

Who's that now?

Think I';; head into the gallery during the week off for a few days. Be nice to relive abit of me art college days! haha (my bum days!) :)

• Advertisement

the provost ~ headmaster of trinity college....

oh alright :o So can you go and view them or not..? Sorry didnt go to Trinity so dont know these things. Bit mean if he's hoarding them all of them in there now!

knock on his front door and ask to see his paintings. you never know.

knock on his front door and ask to see his paintings. you never know.

If he shows me his, I'll show him mine!! lol

is he married? i'm not sure. he's not totally unhandsome. i'd imagine he's very charming. give it a shot sure. nothing to lose.

Larianne wrote:
    If he shows me his, I'll show him mine!! lol

I've a Yeats Ink sketch somewhere around the house, probably attic that was inheritated.. that's all I meant by it!! I'll show him mine....

HOw am I meant to know if he's married I never even knew he existed or his house and the paintings! :rolleyes:

larianne, strangely enough, other ppl that you read this thread so maybe they'll know.

yeah sure what ever about you're keats in the atttic, we all know what you meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

The Provost is married with children, sorry folks.

And yes, there seems to be more paintings by Yeats (not Yeat's - please!) in the Provost's House than in the National Gallery, which I find fairly disturbing, although to its credit, Trinity is typically good about lending them out for viewing etc.

Returning students - remember that there's an annual thing in the DHG for residents and societies, where you can borrow a painting for a year (mainly modern art or prints) for a nominal fee.

i never said "yeat's" but i did say keats. lol.

yeah i might inquire about getting a painting....no really....it will go well with my bavaria castles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Not you, someone else. There are probably paintings of Bavaria castles, though. I had a really interesting spiral design that would make you dizzy, but it was in SF and I can't for the life of me remember who it was by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Sev wrote:

lol like the casual "i've been in the provost's house" line. did you see the scooter under the stairs? what larks, zooming through the halls with his gown flying in the wind.... what larks i say!

Never saw the scooter :/ I did like the piano room tho overlooking the stairs. And the corridor connecting the college to it is great, its like one of those undersea observing tunnels, except no water outside :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Haunter

Sev wrote:
    And the corridor connecting the college to it is great, its like one of those undersea observing tunnels, except no water outside :/
    Really? Where does it come out at college? (The other end of the tunnel that is, not the Provost.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

House 1.

lies it comes out under the pav where the changing rooms are.

Advertisement