Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls ........... what do you want your men wearing by day on holidays?

• 10-07-2005 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

By night its down to individual taste but even the most trendy and articulate of men can make huge fashion faux pas on holidays by day with bad shorts, shirts etc. Ladies ; what do you like and what makes you cringe? ..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

No Hawiian shirts for the love of god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i really dont mind.. as long as he takes his shirt off at some point of the day i'm happy..

its all up to what you feel happy in.

if you want to impress her by what you are going to wear go shopping with her and let her pick some stuff out!!.

the only two things i object to are
    pink t shirts on men and old man white vests with the holes... anything else goes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

I hate shorts.
    Although I adore my sweetheart's knees, I want my boyfriend to wear trousers/ jeans only.
    And as it was said before: no Hawaiian shirts please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ania wrote:
    I want my boyfriend to wear trousers/ jeans only.

You're quite the opressive one, aren't you?

If some bit on the side told me what to wear, I'd kick her to the curb! Or just say "Shut up bitch, now where's my dinner?" :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Karl tisk tisk.... kicking a woman when shes down ... i'm ashamed of you...

whats wrong with Hawaiian shirts and shorts. they are fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

Ania wrote:
    I want my boyfriend to wear trousers/ jeans only.

u can't say that what if he wanted u not to show off your legs and sweat like a pig...thats unfair !!

i honestly think people care way too much what people think... my girlfriend could wear a black bag if she wanted an i wouldn't give a **** once she was comfortable

And I'd kick the man who treats me like that and put him into prison for violence against women. ;)
    And yes, I do suggest my boyfriend what to wear as much as he suggests me what I could wear.

well suggesting is ok but its his decision at the end of the day as it is yours to wear what u want

Ania wrote:
    And I'd kick the man who treats me like that and put him into prison for violence against women. ;)

Well I'd bury the woman who'd make such threats in a shallow grave. That'd show her who's boss!

Well I'd bury the woman who'd make such threats in a shallow grave. That'd show her who's boss!
    I guess such women are hard to find these days who would accept you as the boss, dude!
    Poor boy! :(

• Advertisement

Ania wrote:
    I guess such women are hard to find these days who would accept you as the boss, dude!
    Poor boy! :(

Who says I need them to 'accept' me as the boss? I find waving the shotgun around gets 'em in line.

ah a good old sexiest good man kh...not many of yis left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

collar,
    leash,
    ball gag,
    wrist restraints.

Oh a type of holiday where your outside maybe some where hot,
    well then what ever he wishes.
    You cant be a clothes nazi with a person you are ment to care about.
    You can buy them clothes, make suggestions but really demanding and pouting and causing a fuss is not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

clothes are over-rated.

Lemming wrote:
    clothes are over-rated.

Yeah, but don't try that line with the bailiffs. They weren't impressed the last time I tried that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anything he likes, pretty much. You've got to trust the person you love in every sense, even dress sense.

But wife-beaters are always bad, as are speedos, unless he's got a six pack you could bounce bricks off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goingmental

please no speedos,, they should be banned and burned. :eek:
    H shirts are ok, can be fun but not really at night? reminds me of stag parties trying to be funny, (dont work!)

Anything is cool for hols. wife beaters prob not the best look on a lot of ruddy skinny irish ban men but by all means if you think you can get away with it,,,
    at the end of the day you are beach/pool bound so prob not going to be wearing much??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I hate shorts. And footie shirts. Those things shouldn't be worn, especially in combination (and the latter shouldn't be worn ever).
    Other than that it depends on the person, and what looks good on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I used to have a pair of tracksuit style trousers that had zips at the shins, and the knees so I could make my own length shorts whenever I wanted.

I miss them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mordeth wrote:
    I used to have a pair of tracksuit style trousers that had zips at the shins, and the knees so I could make my own length shorts whenever I wanted.

I miss them.

God-damn hippy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

wait, I do have one more item to add to my short list:

GAA shorts, small and tight and white. euch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Straw skirt and coconut shell bra all the way tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dear lord not the white runners, white shorts, white t shirt, white skin look which prgresses to white runners, white shorts, white t shirt, red skin look .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

shorts are ok, just no shorter than knee-length, please! gaa shorts are really hideous, and speedos just make me think of greasy male strippers. & not in a good way.

generally loose clothing is the way to go. apart from that i don't care what my bf wears, or anyone else for that matter, long as he's not all sweaty by the end of the day from covering up :P also the severity of the inevitable burning of the skin is more important, in my opinion - i'd rather pasty than burned.

also novelty hats are out! nothing screams "i'm an irish twat" clearer than a lobster-red male in a giant plastic sombrero :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

/me continues lurking to see if anyone posts "Black t-shirt, black jeans, big black boots. And even though it's too hot for the big black leather coat, it's somewhere nearby because he's a nerd and there are handy things in the pockets".

Black is the new black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I often end up wearing football jerseys sandals and whatever shorts on holidays, and i'm a black is the new black person too, just have to be comfortable in heat.

OP if you stop caring about what girls think of what you wear you might even get a chance to learn how to take a bra off, actually that may be too tricky for someone with your attitude, my advice - hide under a big pile of coats until the sun goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Well I will wear shorts as I'll be in a hot country, who wpuldn't? Mainly Patagonia shorts, good fit and decent pockets. Coupled with this will be dark vests (I can carry them, I'm not a weed) or t-shirts depending what I'm up to. And on the feet, mainly a couple of pairs of Birkenstocks. If I do wear runners they will be with those hidden below the ankle socks. Me boird will be wearing skirts and hotpants, the shorter the better. I'll let her choose if she wants to wear a top or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

No shorts above knee-length - EVER. The only place I need to see a man's knees is on a football pitch. No sports jerseys, those are for playing sports, not sitting in the sun. Seriously, why would you wear a full nylon outfit in the blazing sunshine? Try to avoid runners and socks. With a decent t-shirt (polo shirt preferably for me), some nice combat style shorts to the knee and a simple pair of black flipflops (no Jesus-style ones please unless they're Birkenstocks) you're on to a winner!

On both my J1's I hung out with a lot of Americans my age as opposed to just Irish people and Irish men in short shorts and GAA jerseys were a constant source of amusement for both the men and the women. Have a look at the Abercrombie website for ideas. I'm not suggesting you wear Abercrombie from head to toe but it'll give you a good idea of what a lot of girls like to see on guys which was the original question, right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Shorts to knee length but not shorter. Khakis are best. Wear light colours and dress like a local does and its all good.

Jeans/sports short and dark colours show you are silly and a tourist.

• Advertisement

God, Abercrombie is so terrible. No originality or style to any of their products and they are just bought by sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

lol
    I really cant see whats the big problem with shorts above the knees??

Are they that bad?

(I'm not talking short shorts, but a bit above the knee's)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I don't allow the weather to compromise my fashion sense.

What I'm wearing today is no different to the clothes I was wearing in winter.

But I swear to god... if you more person asks me "Aren't you hot in that jacket?" I'm just going to scream...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

The big no no for me is really tight swimming trunks - the rest I am not that bothered, in the end you care about the person, clothes are part of their personality. If the holidays are in the sun I like to see them wearing decent suncream but that would be the only essential item.

But I swear to god... if you more person asks me "Aren't you hot in that jacket?" I'm just going to scream...

Aren't you hot in that jacket? ;)

No, but seriously wtf? A jacket.... Were you outside of your freezer today?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jeans or shorts and/or a tshirt would do i guess,preferably with carcass written on the front pour moi!

More like fashion nonsense, what's the point in going around dressed like this monkeyfudge4ei.jpg in the kind of weather we have had the passed couple of days? Maybe they are asking for a good reason?

I would never let style override function. And that jacket doesn't seem to functional, too warm in the summer, not warm/waterproof in the winter. And all black? Jeez Louise

I'm wearing a purple shirt today.

Actually that photo was taken in October in Prague so it was a bit cold and I'm actually wearing two jackets.

I always carry alot of stuff around with me... note books and the like... so I need to have alot of pockets so I don't like to leave the house without a jacket.

Ditch the notebook and get a blackberry or something. With different covers for winter and summer of course. Or a bum bag, they are so hot right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I always carry alot of stuff around with me... note books and the like... so I need to have alot of pockets so I don't like to leave the house without a jacket.
    I'm with you there, though it is in fact so hot today that I'm not even carrying my coat, but using a thing they call a "bag" to carry things in. They're kinda nifty devices you wear on your back, though I hear other varieties are worn or carried in other ways.

Strange I know, but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

FX Meister wrote:
    Ditch the notebook and get a blackberry or something. With different covers for winter and summer of course. Or a bum bag, they are so hot right now.

ur ghey

FX Meister wrote:
    I already carry enough gadgets around with me... I'm like a muggers wet dream actually.

I like to keep an old fashioned notebook to draw sketches in and note down ideas as they occur to me. And the simple fact of the matter is I don't really feel comfortable without a jacket on.

Although, getting back to the original point... I think my insistance on wearing shirts all the time makes my girlfriend uncomfortable. She's always unbuttoning my sleaves and rolling them up to my elbows... I don't mind doing that sort of thing in private... but I won't stand for it outside in public.. oh no...

Is being totally neurotic not the 'in thing' any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭NikNik

If a guy looks good in it then he can carry off wearing speedos or pink t-shirts (it's only a colour for God's sake!). i find some guys with althletic bodies look really masculine in speedos and theres a bonus of not having legs that are half white half tanned
    X-nay on the jesus sandals and short shorts though cuz that's just geeky

Advertisement