Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Cuprinol Fence sprayer is a waste of money!!!

• 10-07-2005 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭

Bought one today, sounded like a great idea, paid 36 euros for the sprayer and another 15 euros for a bottle of panel stain, anyway rigged it up and stated working did as per instructions and sprayed about 12 inches from the panel, but the damn stuff just starts dripping and takes a good few coats to take, I also had the stone pillers taped off but it still splattered the stone work (anyone know how I can get that off, tried white spirits but it just spread it), anyway at the rate I'm going I'll only get 3-4 panels done with one bottle, I think I'll ring B&Q tomorrow and see if they'll give me my money back :mad:

Snake ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

They wont refund unless you really kick up a fuss, they will just offer credit or replacement. however imho, as the product is not suitable for the purpose advertised you are entitled to a refund.
    http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/9cee20fbde8eb9908025681c004dde9c/802567ca003e043d80256499002f6df7?OpenDocument

What are your civil rights as a consumer with regard to the purchase of goods?
    You have the following rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980:
    The goods should be of merchantable quality (i.e. they are of an acceptable standard given their description, their purpose, expected durability and price paid).
    The goods should be fit for their intended purpose (i.e. the purpose for which the goods are normally bought). They should also be fit for any purpose that you have specified to the seller, providing it is reasonable for you to rely on the seller's skill or judgement.

The goods should be as described
    (i.e. labels or notices regarding the goods must be accurate and true).

The goods should correspond with any sample (i.e. if you buy goods from a display or sample book, the goods must be of the same quality etc., as the sample).

If goods do not meet these requirements, what should you do?
    • Return the goods as soon as possible to whoever sold them to you, your rights are against them (not the manufacturer).
    • Do not continue to use faulty goods as you may be deemed to have accepted them which may cause you to lose your rights.
    • Leave the goods as they are. Tampering or attempting to repair the goods may affect your claim.
    • Make sure you have your receipt or some other proof of purchase.

What redress can you claim?
    There are no hard and fast rules, each case needs to be considered on its merits. The reasonableness of the claim and how you have acted is generally the key here - given all the circumstances what would an independent fair minded person think? In general terms you have the following options:

A refund/replacement
    - where the fault or misdescription is not a trivial one, you discover it soon after purchase and you act promptly in taking back the item.
    A repair
    - if the problem is relatively minor, or you have used the goods for some time or delay in complaining. If the trader does not satisfactorily repair the goods within a reasonable time you may then have the right to reject the goods and look for a full refund - again it depends on the circumstances of the individual case.
    A credit note
    - in some cases, a shop may offer you a credit note. You do not have to accept a credit note - indeed taking this option means that you cannot later demand a refund. Alternatively, a shop may offer a credit note as a gesture of goodwill where you have simply changed your mind or decided that you do not want the goods.

Ask to speak to a supervisor (Alison, mark, rachael, are decent enuf). Normal floor staff will be of no use to you, and the service desk will only offer replacement or credit.

good luck, give em hell!

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I bought one too, recently and I have to say i found it pretty good. Painted a 10 x 8 Garden shed in two coats and a half (for the very exposed bits) with one can of paint. Total painting time ...30 mins.

Takes a bit of getting used to, in order to minimize spray and dripping, is more expensive than normal varnish/paint ...but well worth it, IMO.

Also painted a normal post & rail fence with it ...ok, a lot of paint was wasted on weeds and other foliage, but it was sooo much quicker than a brush job.

Just don't use it on a very windy day ...you'll get a nice "tan" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

hey yeah I tried it again this morning and found it worked better although I still only got about six panels done. But I need help, some of it has splatter on the stone posts and driped through to my neighbours newly tiled patio!!!!! I tried removing it with white spirits but no good anyone know how to get it off stone work????????

Please help

Snake ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

[QUOTE=I tried removing it with white spirits but no good anyone know how to get it off stone work????????

Please help

Snake ;)[/QUOTE]

If you can tell us the chemicals identified on the can, we might be able to suggest a suitable solvent for you.

kadman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you let it dry a bit on the stone work, a quick blast with a pressure washer (preferably equipped with one of those swirly dirt-blaster yokes) will usually get rid of it I've found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Bernzie

Hey folks! Buy the Cuprinol fence sprayer. Dont buy the special paint (four times the price). Buy the normal paint and dilute it 50/50 with water. Give it a good shake and use away. Now when you are finished, take the sprayer apart and clean every part thoroughly. Then you are ready to rock again. If you are spraying a fence or panels and there is something underneath, (footpath/tarmac) then cover this with a sheet or alternatively cut up bin bags in order to prevent staining. Do not, and i mean do not do this on a windy day!! Waste of time as it goes everywhere. A bit of common sense with it, and you can use the watered down normal paint (although it may need two coats). If you put the time into the preperation and the washing after, then the actual spraying takes no time............And there you go. Also, if you get the paint on concrete or something flat such as tiles then clean it whil it is wet with soapy water and a nail brush or dish brush. its a water based paint and should come off easy when wet or partially wet....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Is there any significant differences between these sprayers and the sprayers used for weed killer? On a quick look they seem very alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Holy old thread Batman :eek: Mine went to the dump about 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bernzie

No real difference between sprayers, just need to dilute well and clean after use. and of coarse, give two/three coats........

Advertisement