Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Claims Bonus Protection...

Options
  • 10-07-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Looks like I have to utilise this after this evenings events :mad:

Is it fair to say that this confines me to the same insurance company - as otherwise I will if i ring another insurance company and they ask the standard ' have you made a claim in the last x no. of years?' question, I have to answer yes? - in which case, I will get a crap quote?

What sort of experience do people have in terms of what they have paid in the aftermath of using the 'no claims bonus protection' that they paid for on their policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Eurorunner wrote:
    Is it fair to say that this confines me to the same insurance company - as otherwise I will if i ring another insurance company and they ask the standard ' have you made a claim in the last x no. of years?' question, I have to answer yes? - in which case, I will get a crap quote?

What sort of experience do people have in terms of what they have paid in the aftermath of using the 'no claims bonus protection' that they paid for on their policy?

In many cases - they simply won't quote you.

I think it largely depends on whether the claim is as a result of theft or accident.

My own experience was with a theft claim, and while my policy never went up, it didn't go down the way that it should have. So much so that when I was able to move around more freely, my policy dropped by about €450.

So, you've got to judge for yourself, if the size of your claim is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

you've got to judge for yourself, if the size of your claim is worth it.
    The claim would probably be in the region of €3,000.

My current policy cost me €600 fully comp.
    From what i've been reading, it seems that with the bonus protection, I will be tied to this company (FBD) for the next 5 years. However, bonus protection should mean that they are supposed to be treating me as if I still have the no claims bonus that i had prior to the accident - which means they cant raise the premium much more than what its at right now?

Sorry for the series of questions but i'm trying to sort out this little mess with as much damage limitation as possible! :)

Have a list a cars now that I want to go and see. They will be similar to what i was driving but probably not the same make/model. How can I be sure that the quote that I am getting is actually the same as it would be if i had rang them up for a quote before the accident - seeing as there is a new set of variables for each car they quote on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes you will be tied to FBD for the five years. They won't be able to raise your premium but you won't be able to move.

Given that I will be locked in for 5 years, would it be best just to get tpft as opposed to comprehensive seeing as I really won't be able to afford to go through the insurance again during that time (the value of my own car wont be more than 2k)?

I'm assuming that I wont be given the opportunity to put bonus protection on the policy now that I've utilised it this time round?

• Advertisement
Advertisement