Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basketball shoes

Options
  • 11-07-2005 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend good runners for playing basketball? Something that would provide lateral support?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

yes..... indeed i could. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Maybe manufacturer sites will provide info about whether their shoes provide lateral support.
    http://www.adidas.com/sports/basketball/content/en_uk/index.asp
    http://www.nike.com/nikebasketball/usa/index.jhtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

What type of shoes to people here use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Soundwave helpful replies only or I get to use my ban stick.

OFDM, I personally haven't played competitive bball in quite a while so I wouldn't be able to recommend any particular shoes. If I get a chance later I'll have a look around the net, I seem to recall a site that recommended different footwear for a variety of sports/activities.

Other than that all I can do is tell you to try and find a decent sports store around Ireland, one that has well trained staff who might be able to tell you the best stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Nike basketball runners normally have good lateral support. The Shox in particular are excellent. Personally, I have three pairs of Nike.

I have a cheap pair of Nike air flight wings, which were about 30 quid on Ebay. Nothing too special, but they do the job for messing around now and again.
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~phil/images/nike_air_flight_wings.jpg

I've got a pair of Nike Air Max from last year that are beautifully cushioned. I bought them in either Marathon/Champion on Grafton street. They were a bit expensive, but the support they give is brilliant. Unfortunately, the bubble burst in them, so I don't use them for serious stuff anymore.

The third pair is a pair of Nike Air Jordan Retro X, they're the most comfortable shoes I've worn. Support and cushioning isn't as good as the Air Max, but they're tight fitting and really really nice. People keep bloody stepping on them though! :)

Phil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I use Adidas T-Mac shoes. My first shoes were the T-Mac 2 Allstar, and had great lateral support, I've had a weak left ankle for years as a result of awkward falls in basketball and it used to go on me in the middle of games before when I just wore Converses, but I haven't had any ankle-trouble since I got those T-Macs 2 years ago. I now wear T-Mac 4.5's, I find they're a very fashionable, comfortable and futuristic shoe and their support system is just as reliable as their predecessors. I've never worn Nike Airs so I can't comment, I have And1s for street or outdoor games and I find they're kind of unreliable both for grip and support.
    Adidas T-Macs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Just head into foot locker and ask one of the referees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ask a referee, naw man they dont know their own mind,in case you dont know the game is about referees not players,fouls and scores,tut tut,you shoulda known better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

What??? The guys that work there are dressed as referees! ... ??? i'm confused!

Advertisement