Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jerry Lawler to be fired?

• 11-07-2005 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

Credit: PWTorch.com Newsletter

With the recent addition of The Coach to the RAW broadcast team, some speculation is taking place within WWE that Jerry Lawler could be moved off the team or even released by WWE possibly. The overwhelming opinion of Lawler in WWE is that he is seen as overpaid of what is asked of him and many feel The Coach can fill his shoes for a much smaller salary. It should be noted that Coach is said to be more popular and social with key members of the WWE production staff than Lawler is at this point.

http://nodq.com/news/123032701.shtml

I hope this isn't true. I still think The King is great. Coach and JR wouldn't be anywhere near as good.

If anything, they should have put Coach on Smackdown and added him to Michael Cole and Tazz's commentary in my opinion...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

I think they should get rid of Jerry and Good old J.R. and replace them 100% it's time for a change, also throw Teddy long in the bin, can't stand the guy as this so called G.M of Smackdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

jr and the king are by far the best commentary team the wwe have ever had and tha shouldn't cange a ppv is not the same when cole and tazz do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say Vinny Mac was always my favourite commentator.

well vinnie was ok but he hadn't a good side kick really over the years..he's better craic now anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I think its a great combonation. With JR against all heels and The King supporting most heels, I think that's what Smakdown! lacks in their commentary.

• Advertisement

yeah over the pst while the wwe has gone kinda retro less realistic character shave come in etc... i think jr and jerry give that retro heel/face commentary that the smackdown lads don't bither wit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

jcoote wrote:
    jr and the king are by far the best commentary team the wwe have ever had and tha shouldn't cange a ppv is not the same when cole and tazz do it

JR and the King are by far the best around today, but the best WWE ever had was Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby the Brain (Will you stop!), closely followed by Vince and Jesse Ventura ( more so for the Body than McMahon).

Ross is the best play by play man ever, with a knowledge of the business and the wrestlers that surpasses anyone, but the Heenan and Ventura were miles funnier than the King.

maybe the body and the brain are better than the king but i think jr and the king are just great together...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Monsoon with the Brain or Jesse were the best commentry team.

Jerry Lawlor is just stale and annoying but the coach aint better.

anyways since wwe moved to sky sports i stopeed watching it.

I think you should keep the Raw commentators as they are, but get rid of Cole and Tazz and replace them with Vince and The Coach.

• Advertisement

I think you should keep the Raw commentators as they are, but get rid of Cole and Tazz and replace them with Vince and The Coach.

Vince will never go back to being a lowly commentater, apart from him not wanting to commit so much of his time to being on air anymore, it would never suit the Mr.McMahon character for him to go back to being the straight man commentating.You'd be expecting him to jump in the ring at any time and pull his pants down for another new member of the kiss my ass club, or something like that.

Anyone else have no clue back in the 80's that Vince actually owned the WWF? I certainly did'nt.
    To think back to how he was back then, if someone had said he owned it, let alone predicted the things he would later do in the ring, i would have said they were as crazy as, well, Vince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I enjoyed Heyman when he was on color with JR on Raw a few years ago. He really put the wrestling moves over instead of just shouting 'puppies!' every show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

D-FENS wrote:
    Anyone else have no clue back in the 80's that Vince actually owned the WWF? I certainly did'nt.
    To think back to how he was back then, if someone had said he owned it, let alone predicted the things he would later do in the ring, i would have said they were as crazy as, well, Vince.

Was it President Gene Tonney? .. whoever it was, that's who I thought ran the wwf

anyway ... Joey Styles, did a great job at one night stand, should bring him in to replace JR. Maybe make King a manager or something.

jack tonney wasn't it ...your thinkin of mean gene oakerland...yeah vince is insane...tony shivani was good he used to do saturday nihghts main event with the body...he was good...did a couple of summerslams too i think...small guy looked like somethin from duran duran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Glowingmind

Was watching the michaels vs hart iron man match yesterday and it reminded me of how good an announcer vince was, and how good jerry lawler used to be. I think lawler has gotten really stale over the last few years and can't say i'd miss him at all if he went. Totally disagree with the idea of adding the coach to the tazz/cole team, 3's a crowd. JR is without doubt the best announcer the wwe has ever had (though there's a solid argument to be made for the heenan/monsoon team being miles better than the lawler/JR team). I'm a big fan of taz as a colour guy, and while cole's nowhere near JR's league he's still better than any of the other announcers(there's a couple who could replace him, styles bing a prime candidate). I've never liked coach as an announcer, he tries far too hard to be a heel at the expense of calling the action. That said, i do think he's good as an interviewer when he's got someone to play off.

I got it, bring back Lord Alfred Hayes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Recently Ive kinda gonna off both JR and the King but the King more so. I'd love to see JOey Styles commentating but I dont think he'd fit well with JR if he was to replace King. Joey is kinda an overview as opposed to either siding heel or face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

styles and haymen but they'd get fired eventually cause vince hates haymen

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

No he dosn't him and heyman have always done business together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I think JR is superior too Cole, but Tazz is the best colour guy I have ever heard. His knowledge of moves is so far superior to anyone else's, and he really talks about the action, as oppossed to Lawler just coming up with entertaining ways of putting over the heels.

Coach is awful, in my opinion. In Backlash 2003, where the main event was Goldberg Vs The Rock, he really shgowed how bad he was. On one occassion, if I recall correctly, he shouted "What Is THAT" at something Goldberg did to the Ropck. No commentator should EVER say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

jcoote wrote:
    jack tonney wasn't it ...your thinkin of mean gene oakerland...yeah vince is insane...tony shivani was good he used to do saturday nihghts main event with the body...he was good...did a couple of summerslams too i think...small guy looked like somethin from duran duran

Schiavone never worked for WWE, did he? He was in the old NWA, and WCW for years. I didn't mind the guy too much, I think what WCW asked him to do made him a bit worse than he could have been though

Out of all the commentators I can think of, the one I enjoyed the most has to be Paul Heyman. When he was commentating with JR, those were classic days. He has a huge knowledge of the business, he can get people over (both as a commentator and as a promoter), and he can also be really funny. One bit that's always stuck out in my mind was when JR said that Regal might have another trick up his sleeve, and Heyman said that he's not wearing any sleeves. JR: "His proverbial sleeves..". Heyman: "But he's not wearing any proverbial sleeves". I was in bits, he's got a real quick wit, and it was brilliant the way JR actually seemed to dislike him for real, as if Heyman was really pissing him off, which brought some tension to the commentary that made it more exciting

Stevie Richards is meant to be a decent commentator, and so is Tommy Dreamer. Actually, back in the early days of Velocity, Al Snow and Josh Mathews were hilarious too

Bradshaw and Angle would make an excellent commentary team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    Schiavone never worked for WWE, did he?

He was there briefly for about a year but went back to WCW.
    Fozzy wrote:
    Out of all the commentators I can think of, the one I enjoyed the most has to be Paul Heyman. When he was commentating with JR, those were classic days. He has a huge knowledge of the business, he can get people over (both as a commentator and as a promoter), and he can also be really funny. One bit that's always stuck out in my mind was when JR said that Regal might have another trick up his sleeve, and Heyman said that he's not wearing any sleeves. JR: "His proverbial sleeves..". Heyman: "But he's not wearing any proverbial sleeves". I was in bits, he's got a real quick wit, and it was brilliant the way JR actually seemed to dislike him for real, as if Heyman was really pissing him off, which brought some tension to the commentary that made it more exciting

I can remember a great line from heyman during the famous cage match between Angle and Benoit on Raw, the one where Angle does the moonsault from the top, and Austin was at ringside watching the match during his heel phase and JR says something to piss Austin off to which Austin goes: "Are you sassing me, Jim? Don't sass me Jim!" and Heyman goes: "JR, please do not sass him". :D

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan was terrific and it's great listening to some of the classic matches. I still think King and JR are the best though. If you listen to King during WM18 and the match between Taker and Flair, he's excellent and really funny.

Advertisement