Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatpanel / tft built into case.

Options
  • 11-07-2005 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭

For my next casemod, I want to build a flatpanel screen, or possibly an old small-ish laptop tft into the side of my case.
    The screen would not be used very often, only when I bring my machine to LANs or to people's houses, etc. I have a regular 22" CRT for normal use, and while I find it perfect for this, its just too cumbersome to move around.

The idea would be to use a jigsaw to cut a rectangle and fit the screen inside the gap. If I used an old laptop tft, it would be 'flush' with the side if the case, but if I used a flatpanel screen, It may protrude a bit. power/data would be supplied internally through the computer.

Theres some pictures of my computer in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=261441
    The left side is modded with a window now.
    My plan was to install this tft in the right side panel.

Heat will not be a problem, as my system temperature is in the mid 20's, depending on clock speed.

I was wondering, did anyone else try this? What did It look like, or does anyone have any ideas/criticism/whatever on this idea.
    <whew!>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I've seen pictures online of a rig with one of those 7" Lilliput screens mounted inside a side window. They had it displaying various load stats, temperatures and other stuff.

I've also seen a mod on a SFF PC of some sort running as a webserver that displayed live visitor logs on a really small LCD screen. I've it bookmarked at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

you say your case is huge so just cut a hole out the back of it sumwhere and put the power lead therew it or if its a laptop screen you could but in another PSU? i think its a nce idea if your good at metal fabricarten sunce you will have to mout it inside your case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

yes im in the middle of doing it and have been finding ways to make the tft move upwards with the use of motors and gas sturts so i can still get into the case ..as soon as you posted i got a few PM,s saying what your planing on doing it will be a nice mod if done right ...

Here is a thread i started about this mod about a month ago and just as you posted ..ive started on it so as soon as its done ill let you know how it went ..or if you get yours up and running frist it would be nice to see how it looks ....

Best luck with it .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

thanks dubdvd.
    I wont be starting this until I get back to Ireland in August, actually.
    But jesus thats some casemod you've got planned. It's very ambitious.
    Try and take step by step Pictures, If you can and post them?
    It seems very interesting.

Im planning on using a laptop tft though. Because of their tiny size. I might pick up a 15.4" one on ebay real cheap, or I could use a spare 14" one I allready have.
    My only actual obstacles are these
    a) Cutting the window accurately in my case. Its covered in big hairy fur, you see. And This will probably singe when I cut the window.
    b) Changing my DVI/VGA video output and power input to suit the laptop TFT's requirements.

If anybody has any advice/experience with 'B' It would be mucho appriecated.

Flunked: I am pretty good at metal fabrication and have a metal fabrication workshop/factory at my disposal, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Flunked: I am pretty good at metal fabrication and have a metal fabrication workshop/factory at my disposal, basically.
    Wanna share it??! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

FuzzyLogic wrote:

ohhh baby a modders dream :D

Advertisement