Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very High Pings on a 4meg line?

Options
  • 11-07-2005 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭

Title tells the story really. I can't get pings under 150 on my 4meg eircom line. Frustrating is not the word. I'm crap enough at B2 without stuttering about all over the place as well.

Anybody have any ideas about what I could do to improve them, opening ports or somesuch other malarky.

Cheers

Chris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Well first question, what servers are you playing on? Irish, American, Australian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Any and all of them I suppose. I just hit the sort by ping button in the lobby bit and none of them are under 150, ocassionally I might get something around 100 but thats a red letter day. I'm not filtering anything out at that point either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Since people installed the patch there has been high pings on a LOT of the servers due to the memory leak bug on the servers.

Try installing the All Seeing Eye as it gives me lists of servers that the internal browser doesn't, and all with lower pings.

Yeah I had a bash with All Seeing Eye allright. How do you connect to the server from it though, whenever I click on the server I want in it I just get told that "ASE cannot connect" and to go and raffle my donuts.

Oh and have you rolled back the 1.01 patch yet?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I use All Seeing Eye and the hosts file.
    Since ASE updated the hosts file/bf2 thing doesnt work, so I pick my favorite servers and add them to the hosts file.

Ie typing in TiG64 in the 'Connect to IP' box will get me onto the TiG 64 player server.

• Advertisement

Eh dunno what you said in the first bit but was the jist of it that you type the name of the server into the "connect to ip" bit in the lobby and away you go?

calhob_ie wrote:
    Eh dunno what you said in the first bit but was the jist of it that you type the name of the server into the "connect to ip" bit in the lobby and away you go?

No there is a file called 'hosts' in the following directory in XP

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Edit the file with notepad.

You will see an entry in there saying the following

127.0.0.1 localhost

On the next line under that place the ip address and the name. Eg

127.0.0.1 localhost
    82.195.132.222 tig64

Then save the file.
    What you have just done is assign a shortened name to an ip address.
    So if you now type tig64 in the 'Connect to IP' section in the game it will connect to 82.195.132.222.
    Please note, you still have to put in the correct port.
    This way it allows you to keep an easy shortened version of all your favorite servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Umm ASE does connect you to servers.

Did i not post that :confused:

Update your filters and ti works.

Oh in game ping in the in game menu is not even close to the real thing.

Go to command prompt and type

"ping 82.195.132.222"

Your ping at bottom is average ping to TIG server about 40ish i would imagine.

kdjac

ASE will connect you if you're running the 1.01 patch though.

The prob is though that by the time the game loads up, the one free slot you saw is probably gone !

Ponster wrote:
    ASE will connect you if you're running the 1.01 patch though.

The prob is though that by the time the game loads up, the one free slot you saw is probably gone !

Yes thats why I do what ASE did on the older patch and edit the hosts file.

That way you can keep trying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

With my 4mbit eircom line i get about 57ms to the TiG BF2 server.

ip: 82.195.136.136
    round-trip min/avg/max = 55.5/56.8/58.8 ms

what's your ping to that ip?

Cheers,
    Dave.

About 70ms

Remember that with a good line you'll be able to get sub-100 pings with a 56k modem. ISP's don't promise you a good ping, just the speed of the line.

Advertisement