Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for a good set of irons with 3/4 hybrids

• 11-07-2005 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

so far i have seen a ram wizard II for 334 in american gold and a ben sherman for 299 in american golf as well. Also looking at an adams set online(ebay) for 400 euros.

Does anybody know of any other sets that might be available, haven't gotten to mcguirks in blanch yet, only the one in leopardstown and the didn't have much at all and the lads were ignorant. A lot nicer in american gold.

Thanks for any info.

Eain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hi
    I presume by hybrid you mean cavity back in the long irons and blades in the shorter irons? Generally speaking there isn't much manufactures that make this variety of club (not sure why as you would get the best of both worlds). Anyway as far as I know Ram have historically been the most popular makers of hybrid clubs but you don't see them sold that often. Taylor Made have a hybrid set of clubs out in the form of the Taylor Made TP Combo. They look to be a very nice set of clubs but cost in the region of €700-800 new. You can pick up demo and second hand sets on ebay occasionally therefore it might be worth keeping an eye out.
    I never heard of American Gold, is it a golf store in Dublin and if so where abouts? From your description it appears to have some nice sets therefore might be worth checking out.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What do you play off, if you are off higher then 8 id ask why da hell you want hybrids =)

But you CAN pay huge money for custom clubs. I know some pros have clubs customly hybrid. But I think the RAC Taylor Mades are the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

the adams are great sets, very big company in the states no real presence here in eire but i wouldnt let that put you off, it will effect their resale value tho, there are 3 completely different sets in the adams so you could get a set that matched your handicap (the irons in each set are different)

as for ben shermans if its the clothes designer i wouldnt touch them
    if its ben hogan the golfer ive heard they are great sets again, recovery to the irons, i think they are called cft's or something, the recoverys are lower flight to the adams if height is an issue with your long irons go with one of the adams sets

ive heard the wizards are great recoverys dont know much about the irons in the set tho

some of the taylor made 60 shootin women on tour wont even carry a 5 iron they go recovery after the 6 so handicap is just one way of deciding what to go with

what do you play off, how do you hit your 3 4 5 6, how much do you like to vary your trajectory with your scoring irons?
    theres normaly some trade off with irons unless your a pro and can make every club talk, but the trade off will be much less for most with a hybrid set

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

should have given a little bit more info, played summer golf for the last couple of years but started to enjoy it a lot more since i played a couple of rounds with a scratch golfer. Am shooting 22 at the mo, short game is not so bad and can hit reasonable well with with anything down to 6, then it starts to go to bits. Have played a bit with a friends heavenwoods and it really seemed to agree with me. Have a real problem , especially with 3, am strong enough put have really had to slow down my swing to get any kind of accuracy.

Just called into golfworks at the spawell and they have a set of wilson fat shaft Steel for 299 and they custom fit them. Its a 3sw set but your man is telling me the 3/4 play really well. How much of a difference does the custom fitting make for a player of my (lack of ) skills?

thanks

from the sounds of it i think youd like the middle set in the adams idea line,
    idea_a1

one of the probs with the hybrid sets is getting the transition right from hybrid to irons so it feels like a proper set but adams did a great job with this.

i know someone who got them and he imediatly had similar accuracy with all his clubs

as for custom fitting if its available for free take it, but if your average height and strenght its not needed, check out an online fitting for starters search this forum theres a link here somewhere

shaft flex in irons doesnt effect distance much but in a driver it could make a huge difference

• Advertisement

heres a better link of the idea lineftp://65.212.223.5/Media/Idea/

ping website has a online fitting sys if you cant find one here

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

ended up buying a set of mizuno mx 17 5/sw and a Mizuno FLi HI CLK 20' instead. The mx 17s were on sale in golfworks for 399 with custom fitting which seemed to be a pretty good deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Advertisement