Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Encoding 120+ hrs of VHS & Video8 - Some pointers?

• 11-07-2005 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Okay, I want to put all the VHS and video8 I have in digital format.

Basically I want to start by encoding them one by one without editing. I will do the editing next year!

The computer I have yo do it is a dual 800Mhz PIII, I could sub another more powerful machine, but I can have this one run 24\7 and it wont interfere with my work.

So, a couple of questions, bearing in mind that it will be re-encoded later and I need to use as little HD space a possible:

1. What codec\bitrate do you reccomend?
    2. What capture hardware do you reccomend?
    3. Any cheap\inexpensive\opensource software that supports 2x CPU's?

I have a hauppage WinTv card which seems okay, but I dont think ill be encoding this stuff twice so id like to get it right the 1st time!

If there is a card around 100-150 euro that does a much better job, then I might go for it.

Any ideas, pitfalls for this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Since it's coming from VHS, encode it to divx and set the compression at about 300 megs per hour. Maybe even less. It takes hours and hours as it's the best compression out there and does dual pass compression.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I was thinking DivX alright. 300Mb per Hour not too much compression? I may take this video and encode to DVD for other projects later, so I want to avoid artefacts at the start.

Also for audio....mp3 or ogg?

VHS is crappy quality to start with.... the compression isn't too much. I normally compress an hour dvd footage to 700 megs.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Any thoughts on hardware? Or is the hauppage good enough for crappy VHS?

Also forgot to ask what res I should capture in. IIRC the card I have nativly supports only 300odd x 288. I think that is native PAL VHS, but if I plan making DVD's from it later, am I better off getting a card that supports the 500odd lines in DVD? Or is it better to capture in VHS's native res and use good software interpolation later when needed?

I was thinking of using virtualdub for capture. Good plan?

Also, when I go to edit this at a later date, is DivX more succeptible to loss of AV sync when used as a source?

625*720.... Not so sure the best card to buy, I'm fairly out of the loop re-hardware.

I've never edited Divx's.... on reflection, I'd advise capturing at 10 to 1 compress AVI.... Then editing and compressing it after.

John

• Advertisement
Advertisement