Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems With *New* Wireless Clients... Please Help!

• 11-07-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Gateway (Modem Router) to which I connect 3 PC's wirelessly. The PC's are running XP Pro SP2, XP Corp SP2 and Win2K respectively. Each PC has a different brand of wireless adapter and 2 of them run at 54Mbps (the other runs at 11Mbps).

I have the Firewall turned on and Port Forwarding set up. The PC's themselves have static IPs (192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.4) but I also have DHCP enabled. The DHCP IP range is 192.168.1.100 -> 192.168.1.149 which I think is the default.

Apart from a random disconnection problem I had (which I fixed by lowering the Beacon Intervel from 100 to 40), I'm pretty happy with this Modem / Router.

Unfortunately, on Saturday night, I had a few friends over for a LAN gaming session. My friends all brought laptops with wireless cards (proven to be working) and could connect to the router. The problem was, they couldn't see anyone else on the network! Sounds like your typical "wrong workgroup" problem, but we checked all that and still the problem persisted.

We then moved from DHCP to static IPs for my friends (my 2 machines' settings didn't change at all and they could see each other), meticulously copying all the network details, e.g. DNS servers(!), Default Gateway, etc. but it was all in vain.

In the end, my friends had to connect using the 4 free CAT5 ports. And that worked! So, we had 4 wired and two wireless working no problem. Unfortunately, we had 9 PEOPLE in total, so we had to switch around constantly.

Can anyone share some light on this? Why would certain PC's be able to connect wirelessly to a network and see each other while others would be able to connect and NOT see anyone? It'd really help me out a lot since wireless LAN gaming is a lot easier and less messy!

Afterthough: Could it be the IP range? The next lowest to the two WORKING PCs (...2 and ...3) was 192.168.1.23 and that DIDN'T work. Oh, and I tried all manner of combinations of disabling DHCP, disabling the Firewall, disconnecting from my ISP, etc. Also, there's no MAC filtering in place.

Thanks very much in advance, hope someone can shed some light on this!

Seán

P.S. Epilogue: We resorted to using a 24-port Hub that a friend had found in a skip! :-) It was in perferct working order. "Making good use of the things that we find, things nearly everyday folks leave behind..."

Advertisement