Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Help

Options
  • 11-07-2005 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi

My alarm is giving me trouble. I recently had the exterior bell box replaced, if the old bell box alarm was triggered, it would sound for about 45 mins, then stop and just leave the blue light flashing and interior alarm flashing. The new bell box rings continuously.

I was away yesterday and the alarm went off, it rang constantly all day, needless to say the neighbours were pised off, can't say I blame them.

When the new bell box was fitted the alarm was reset to original factory settings, its an Aritech CS350.

I have 2 questions, is it possible to set the bell to stop ringing after a set period?

Can I add an autodialer or auto text messaging to the Aritech CS350, to let me know that its going off.

B2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Beta2 wrote:
    Hi

My alarm is giving me trouble. I recently had the exterior bell box replaced, if the old bell box alarm was triggered, it would sound for about 45 mins, then stop and just leave the blue light flashing and interior alarm flashing. The new bell box rings continuously.

I was away yesterday and the alarm went off, it rang constantly all day, needless to say the neighbours were pised off, can't say I blame them.

When the new bell box was fitted the alarm was reset to original factory settings, its an Aritech CS350.

I have 2 questions, is it possible to set the bell to stop ringing after a set period?

Can I add an autodialer or auto text messaging to the Aritech CS350, to let me know that its going off.

B2
    Beta,
    Do you know the engineering code for the unit?
    For the CS350, the default code is 1278.
    If it works and gets you into the menu system, let me know and I'll tell you how to change the timer for the exterior bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

yea I have the engineers code. It'll be great if its that easy to fix. just a bit of programming the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Enter 1278 press down arrow, timers, bell time et voila! Auto dialer is easy to fit. 3 or 4 wires to fit: pos, neg, 2 for trigger.

It seems to say "bell cutout: 30" maybe i'm looking at the wrong item? Don't want to go messin with it now. i might try tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like it might be wired wrong. From the sounds of it the external seems to be wired in to the internal bell. The time for the internal bell in the panel is set to infinity. When you returned to find your alarm going off was the strobe flashing along with the siren, if not it's wired wrong and I would suggest that you swap them around. Usually the siren would cut out after 20 min and the strobe and internal bell would stay on until you turned off the alarm

• Advertisement

OK here are the options in Bell Timers Menu

Bell Cutout 20
    Bell Delay 00
    all bels cut on
    Digi cutout off
    A: Bell Cutout 30

The alarm used to work fine, but a few months ago It was restored to factory default settings a new bell box was placed outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

I have this exact alarm at my place. Thing is its always been a pain ! the time/date are all wrong on it etc.

The code I have, only sets the alarm or turns it off again. It doesn't permit me to change anything. How do I go about resetting the system, so I can use the above engineers code and set it up the way I want it ? i.e. with a better pin code !!

I'm guessing its just a jumper setting on the m/board ?

Beta2 wrote:
    OK here are the options in Bell Timers Menu

Bell Cutout 20
    Bell Delay 00
    all bels cut on
    Digi cutout off
    A: Bell Cutout 30

The alarm used to work fine, but a few months ago It was restored to factory default settings a new bell box was placed outside.
    Bell Cut out 20 is the default factory setting....sounds like the new box was wired wrong as the setting is correct. Did you get a manual with the ext bell box. If so, it will have the correct way to set it up. I'll ask a guy in work tomorrow what the main cause of your problem could be.

Ondafly, have a look through this forum on other threads on alarms. There were discussions on how to reset the CS350 eng code.

Well i'd say the bell box was fitted about 6 months ago.

I only noticed this problem sunday, as the alarm apparently rang for 13 hours solid according to several unhappy neighbours.

It never happened with the old box and the alarm gives a false alarm very rearly, so I only noticed it sunday.

But would I be able to call the guy that fitted it (cost 100 Eur), to come back and do it right? or will I have to pay again??

I'll have a look see for the manual, I think the box is in the attic.

Thanks

B2

Beta2 wrote:
    Well i'd say the bell box was fitted about 6 months ago.

I only noticed this problem sunday, as the alarm apparently rang for 13 hours solid according to several unhappy neighbours.

It never happened with the old box and the alarm gives a false alarm very rearly, so I only noticed it sunday.

But would I be able to call the guy that fitted it (cost 100 Eur), to come back and do it right? or will I have to pay again??

I'll have a look see for the manual, I think the box is in the attic.

Thanks

B2
    you should have 6 wires from unit to bell box

• Advertisement

The Bell Box is a SABB by hkc. From reading the documentation that came with the box, i think it has a built in timer that overrides whats on the digi pad. I think there is a plug link jumper type override in the bell box and i think it has options 3 mins, 15 mins and continuous. Does this sound right?

Its possible that this has been set to continuous by mistake, I think I'll give the guy who installed it a call.

Beta2 wrote:
    The Bell Box is a SABB by hkc. From reading the documentation that came with the box, i think it has a built in timer that overrides whats on the digi pad. I think there is a plug link jumper type override in the bell box and i think it has options 3 mins, 15 mins and continuous. Does this sound right?

Its possible that this has been set to continuous by mistake, I think I'll give the guy who installed it a call.
    Beta, I was just going to mention that to you...I recently installed a CS350 alarm with Sabb HKC bell box. That jumper position you mention needs to be removed. Most likely it is set to the continous position and the BHO (Bell Hold Off) signal from the CS350 cannot operate.
    If you can get access to the box, remove the front cover and the jumper is in the bottom right hand side...clearly visible. Just remove it if it is in the continous pin position.

Is there any chance you could scan the manual for me....?
    I've lost my copy and would like to have one in event of emergency like yourself.

I've attached a pdf scan of the bell box manual.

I was loking at the larm just now, all the neighbours were away and I set the Bell Cutout 01
    Bell Delay 00
    all bels cut on
    Digi cutout off
    A: Bell Cutout 01

and the outside bell switched off!!

I'm starting to wonder is the neighbour a bit of a hot head??

I'll mess with it more later

Beta2 wrote:

I'm starting to wonder is the neighbour a bit of a hot head??
    sounds like it...
    I'll pm you my email address as I can't see the pdf file attached

Sorry the file was too large to attach.

I've emailed it to you

B2

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

Hi Guys,
    Wired alarm system for my neighbour yesterday, however have a problem with bell tamper appearing in display so alarm will not set.

I pretty sure I have wired correctly used resistors etc.., however if someone can give me some guidance (Step by Step) from panel to sabb i would be very grateful.

I have done a couple before my own included never had problems, also never used resistors between sabb and panel and never used resistors in zones.

Regards
    Martin

techi wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    Wired alarm system for my neighbour yesterday, however have a problem with bell tamper appearing in display so alarm will not set.

I pretty sure I have wired correctly used resistors etc.., however if someone can give me some guidance (Step by Step) from panel to sabb i would be very grateful.

I have done a couple before my own included never had problems, also never used resistors between sabb and panel and never used resistors in zones.

Regards
    Martin
    Bell tamper could be the tamper switch on the bell box cover...maybe its not pushed in? Is the cover on correctly?

Check the tamper switch, bypass it just to rule it out. These can be tricky at times especially if you are putting it in dashing or any uneven surface. Check that you connected the tamper return to the correct terminal in the sabb ie loop resistor across terminals and place tamper return in left terminal.
    Connect sab hold to 16 and the tamper return to 17
    Check the external belll fuse

Read the manual again as it's all there

I have checked the bell tamper which is fine, I have it wired as follows.

Saab Panel
    Strobe + = Pin 6
    Strobe - = Pin 7
    Tamper Resistor across terminals with wire in left to panel (pin 17 Sab)
    Sab Hold = Pin 16 (BHO)
    EX Bell + = Pin 4
    Ex Bell - = Pin 5

Now I think this is correct, however 1 thing I do have which I think is strange pins 16/17 are effectively tied together with a resistor coming from pin 17.

pin 16 sab/bho wires tied together on one side of resistor and other leg of resistor into pin 17. I'm hoping this is my error but I'm looking at the aritech manual and this is what it shows, maybe it does not apply with the hkc sabb, but rather than cause any damage I shall seek the advise of those whom have tried been there before.

Thanks
    Martin

Think I have discovered my error, only 1 resistor should be used either bellbox or panel as it is with me having 2 @ 227K each thats 554K which would show open?

Am I correct or at least on the right trail?

• Advertisement

The resistor should be in the sabb and not in the panel. There is actually a picture of a resistor under the tamper return terminals on the sabb indicating where to place the wire

Use one 4k7

Cheers will give that a go when I get home and let you know, just as well I have some 4.7k at home as supplied resistors w/Panel are miles out.

Martin

techi wrote:
    Cheers will give that a go when I get home and let you know, just as well I have some 4.7k at home as supplied resistors w/Panel are miles out.

Martin

Still no joy guys have replaced resistor in sabb with 4.7k, tamper return tied to left leg look at sabb as indicated on board and manual, then connected other end to panel (Sab = Pin 17)

sab hold = pin 16

bell tamper = shorted

Still getting - bell tamper when i try to arm.... HELP!!!

Martin

Well one problem solved another arises, I have sorted the bellbox tamper issue with many thanks to you guys.

However I have created the next and should be fine to resolve, but will keep you informed anyway, heres what i done.

The shocks I'm using are MC version, so in my wisdom I decided to connect one side of reed to shock thus leaving two terminals for the alarm. I know now I should have just wired seperately as it seems to mess up the resistance level for the panel, so all zones show open. Tested all sections all read short then open when i hit sensor or open window so you would think all would be ok, that said remove alarm zone and replace with just resistor system arms 100%. So a rewire of the zones is required me thinks.

Neighbour will have to wait till tomorrow, off for an early night.

Again many thanks guys.

Martin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There's no prob combining shock and reeds. It must be wired to zone 1-4 only to work. Do you you have the CS350 manual - see p19, you need 2 resistors. if not PM and I'll mail it to you.

btw. do you have a smoke/fire detector fitted? I need to buy one - would like to find one that works with this alarm. don't particularly want a battery one though - any ideas?

Cheers theres a lot to be said for reading the manual properly, never even spotted that bit, makes the job much easier will attack it tonight.

I have never installed a fire alarm, however you could try T.O'Reilly Electrical - Ph: 01-6712011, I know they sell the alarms so I'm sure fire alarms would also be a stock item for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I just had a look - The reed on my back door is wired in series in the same loop as the shock sensors (windows & doors) with a single resistor on the last shock sensor. Seems to work fine.

The fire alarm detectors are all 24V so won't work on a domestic alarm. I was wondering what type are being installed that will connect to one of the zones on the CS350 (and therefore not worry about battery running out). I have a normal battery one with terminals on the back but havent worked out what they do yet.

Well guys I am very happy to say all is working 100%, took me a minute to figure out programming the pulse & gross sections but once that was done It was plane sailing.

Again many thanks to all, would have been knackered without your input/help.

Hopefully I can assist you in the future

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 3 laskelly

techi wrote:
    Still no joy guys have replaced resistor in sabb with 4.7k, tamper return tied to left leg look at sabb as indicated on board and manual, then connected other end to panel (Sab = Pin 17)

sab hold = pin 16

bell tamper = shorted

Still getting - bell tamper when i try to arm.... HELP!!!

Martin

Hi Martin,
    I have just replace my bell box, experiencing the same problem as you in that I am getting a "Bell Tamper" fault. I am just wondering how you eventually resolved your similar problem.

Many thanks

• Advertisement

As per Jnealon's reply in this thread, only 1 resistor is used in sabb value 4.7K do not use any in panel at sabb section. Manual is a little messy here and resistors supplied are wrong.

jnealon has supplied a good picture also to show exactly.

To date not 1 false alarm :) musta done something right.

Cheers
    Martin

Advertisement