Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say, considering the warm weather.

Options
  • 11-07-2005 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

I've 3 spare 80mm fans and 1 spare 120mm fan, is there anyway i can mount them on my desk and get power to them to keep me cool?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It's possible trough a usb port, some modding etc involved. Seen a guide how to do it online at some time. Try googling for usb fanor something

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

connect the fans to a 12v battery
    or a combination of batteries to make
    up the rated voltage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Do u have a spare 300w powersupply lying around, something old?? U can just put that on your desk, get some power to it and plug the fans, very easy :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

connect it to the mains :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

id be more converned with keeping your rig cool as the warm weather takes its tool on that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

eh, i've got two 2900RPM fans, its cool enough in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

or you could just by THIS ;) or get one of these sumwhere :eek: THIS
    hehe it looks eays to mod get a usb lead extender, cut of the female end and strip it :D:p ( ull enjoy that want ya.... there shud be 4 wires under the silver stuff. stick the green and white ones out of the way or cut them after striping the wires( there data ones) and then connect the red and black wires to the fan's wires and then plug it into the usb port and ta da :) it may work. you could al ways put in a switch or speed controller sum where along the line.
    flunk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

got the two 120mm fans that came with my case sellotaped to my desk blowing on me at around 1800rpm. Loud but effective

ugh lucky you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You could just buy a 17 inch fan for £15

John

• Advertisement

you no what thats a brilliant idea :rolleyes: :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Great idea, I think I'll be picking up a USB cable on the way home. Seeing as this is the tweaking/modding board, I've been thinking of putting a few spare case fans in a little enclosure with some kind of reverse radiator that I could fill with ice-cold water to try and boost it's cooling ability. It'd probably not have much effect but sure it's worth a try. The only thing is I can't think of anything suitably sized to act as a heat exchanger, can anyone think of something that might do the job ?

(not as good as Lump's 17" fan idea, but where's the fun in that ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do u have a spare 300w powersupply lying around, something old?? U can just put that on your desk, get some power to it and plug the fans, very easy :).

No.
    The PSU will burn.

You'd need to put some resistors across the un-used rails to bring up the load to the minimum spec.

heheh i have a usb lead in front of me( did when i wrote the solution and ta ta im going to cut it up (hehehe its my brothers but hes in america for the summer so who cares???) oh im going to enjoy screwing up my comp... :rolleyes:
    can you get them in maplin usb extender leads)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Go outside.

USB: Voltage 5V, Current 500mA per root hub port.
    You aren't going to drive a fan off that without damaging your machine.

Just get a random power brick of 7V or higher, strip the head off the lead and wire it into the fans that way, use whatever pots or varistors you like.

No.
    The PSU will burn.

What do u mean the psu will burn?? Im doing this as we speak and have been doing it for about 4 months, psu seems fins :rolleyes: .

while ye were talkin i tore apadrt a usb lead and a lil fan put a hole in the fan stuck the cable thru and connected it to the thingys for pwer and then plugged it into the usb port and flicked the on butten (it kinda hurt it wudnt move) and tada it was working very nice ly but very ludly. think im going to maplin on saturday im going to pick up a new lead or 2 and a quite case fane. well later

is there anyway i can turn down the ammount of power thats comin gout of the usb port?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Flunked wrote:
    is there anyway i can turn down the ammount of power thats comin gout of the usb port?
    Not really. It supplies 5 Volts. If the device draws too much current then the USB port should shut down before it fries. So on/off only.

To change the speed of a fan you could add a resistor in series. But it would have to be a only a few ohms and able to handle a watt or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

No offence, but it really isn't safe to mess around with electricity if you dont understand it. If you don't understand "turning down" the power from you usb port you may be likely to fry your computer/house.

Not trying to slag you, just saying be very careful...

No offence, but it really isn't safe to mess around with electricity if you dont understand it. If you don't understand "turning down" the power from you usb port you may be likely to fry your computer/house.

Not trying to slag you, just saying be very careful...
    well i knew that i was giving 5v to a 3v motor but it was sooo nice for about 5-10 mins and then the motor died so im just going to buy a 5v motor in maplin and do what ever. BTW I'm only 12 so aint a tecno genius. so its not my fault i didnt know that(well it is but why shud i im only 12???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the USB port should shut down before it fries..
    OT
    Marxcomputers even have a USB coffee cup warmer for a tenner :rolleyes:

Where did you find a 3v fan ? Computer fans are all 12volt (that I know of)

It'd really be a lot less hassle to buy a power brick with a voltage adjusting switch for a fiver somewhere. Like one that can switch between 3v and 12-13v. Very handy for comparing how loud different fans are, and they dont involve the risk of nuking your motherboard

SyxPak wrote:
    USB: Voltage 5V, Current 500mA per root hub port.
    You aren't going to drive a fan off that without damaging your machine.

Just get a random power brick of 7V or higher, strip the head off the lead and wire it into the fans that way, use whatever pots or varistors you like.

*cough* smile.gif

Also, Flunked, step away from the PC.

Seriously.

Sincerely,
    SyxPak B. Eng. Electronics

Syxpack, u still aint told me why my psu is going to burn, if i run a few fans off it ??? :eek: . I have been doing this for ages and all is well, please explain???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

From http://www.epanorama.net/links/psu_computer.html

Gotten from Google
    Using PC power supply as general laboratory power supply
    Many people seem to have nowadays many old PC power supplies from old comouter aroudn them and seem to want to use them for some other applications. The PC power supplies supplies many voltages (+-12V, +5V etc.), but using those power supplies successfully takes some knowledge. The PC power supplies are generally switched mode power supplies that do not like run without a load (power supplies usually automatically shut down themselves then they see no load). The AT standard power supplies do not have any special signalto stay on. They are designed to work on certain power loadsrange correctly. If they are loaded less or more than they are designed to work they will shut down themselves. Generally you need to load the +5V output enough (usually 1 amprere to many ampreres minumum load needed depending onpower supply unit, youy might need to test this).The motherboard or old hard disk connected to power supplytakes at leas this minimum load, so keep the power supplyhappy. If you do not want such devices near you, you need to have some other type of load you can use, for examplewell cooled power resistor to +5V output or a 12V car headline bulb connected to +5V output (12V bulb willglow red/yellow when powered with +5V and take enough powerto guarantee that minimum needed load). The minimum load on +5V is needed, because PC power suppliesare generally regulated at +5V output. The controllign loopon the switching power supply works well on normal load conditions, but in case of too little load causes generally the+5V output to rise to too migh voltage, which leads to theshutdown of the power supply when it detect the overvoltage. Whatever power supply you want to use the best approach is tocheck the PSU spec: some require a minimum current draw on some rails. It is quite easy to provide this by means of a power resistor or power resistors. What is said above is usually valid for most other computer power supplies as well.All modern PC power supplies are nowadays built to match the newer ATX standard. Those power supplies have more signals on their connector for example for turning them on and off. If you plan to use this kind of power supply, you need to take care of the minimum load details told above. In addition to this you need to find out the details how you are supposed to turn this kind of power supply on. To activate ATX power supply, only PS_ON is needed. PS_ON can be activated by connecting ATX power output pin 14 (PS_ON) to pint 15 (ground). Some ATX PSUs also require a load on the main +5V to start (could be even damaged without enough load). Most but not all require a load on +5V to regulate properly, a few require aload on +12 as well. PWR_OK signal has nothing to do on ther controlling of ATX power supply operation. PWR_OK is an output from the supply. "PWR_OK is a "power good" signal. It should be asserted high by the power supply to indicate that the +12 VDC, +5VDC, and +3.3VDC outputs are above the undervoltage thresholds.

woops, forgot you'd mentioned the power brick already syxpak

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I've got a 1280mm fan above me going at approx 2000RPM, tis f€ckin' luvverly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

There should be a little message on everything anyway potentially dangerous saying "Don't bloody mess around with this if you don't understand it....."

Advertisement