Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy standards of Irish Men!

• 11-07-2005 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Is it my imagination or do Irish guys have ridiculously high standards?

I went on a blind date with a friend of a friend last week. We had been emailing for some time, we had similar interests and had the same sense of humour so technically we should have been a great match. With the date we also appeared to be having a great time. He was cute enough but not exactly Brad Pitt. I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either. I figured he would be up for at least a kiss but nothing happened. The feedback I got from my friend that he didn't fancy me. I know that everyone has different ideas of what they find attractive but I haven't been with an Irish guy in nearly 7 years and I have lived here almost all of that time!

I go for months on end without as much as a kiss and when I get one the guys are never Irish (and I don't hang out in Temple Bar). Anytime I go aboard I get loads of attention from guys and pull stunning ones, the type that I wouldn't even get a look in from here.

What's the deal with Irish guys -do they think their gods or something? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

scoby
    please read this forums charter, this is not a PI
    moved
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nope, I certainly dont anyway.

I dont really think most other men generally speaking do either. Although there are those who take the "Confidence = compensatory for looks" thing wayyyyy too far and end up believing they are something that is far beyond them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Irish guys like nordic or spanish/italien/french/portuguese girls. depending if they like blondes or tanned brunettes.

Dutch and Nordic guys like spanish looking chicks.
    Spanish/ I/P guys like Irish girls.

Yes it's true, irish girls aren't as nice as other girls. the vikings stole all our hot women. no offense, i'm sure there were a few ppl's here great great grandmothers who hid.

I think it comes down to, you fancy what you don't see every day.

this is a personal issue the poor girl can't get laid without going to ibiza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I think a lot of Irish girls nowadays have lost the plot, and expect to be waited on hand and foot, and have romantic gestures thrown at them as if they are Julia Roberts in some rom com chick flick. A lot of Irish guys just don't want to put in the effort when they get less back in return. Man Irish women have no clearly defined role in society/relationships anymore, and want to be like men or children - but they are not, because they can just get left on the shelf - biological clock.

So some guy didn't fancy you, that happens. If the spark aint there then it aint there. When you are away in foreign climes I suspect it is a holiday situation most of the times, and those lads are just chalking you up on the headboard, they don't have to deal with all your day to day **** in a relationship, so standards drop dramatically.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

thats not true kev i think irish women are the best lookin in the world... irish blokes have incredibly high standards when it comes to gin out wit a girl..they'd get up on the back of a hairy rasher but have bad ego issues when it comes to dating someone...
    its not really about what girls act like in a lot of respects but how they look on the guys arm and whatthe lads think of her...bolloxology..if went on holliers i'd be more likely to shag an irish girl tb dunno bu thats just me

a lot of girls expect a lot of things from a relationsip because they either hear of bad things happenin to their mates or just think its the 50s or somethin but in my experience they are not too bad once u just get on wit it and don't be at their beck and call..

there's always one ^^^

it's generally accepted that irish guys are better looking than their female counterparts. Think of famous irish actors. the majority are handsome men. the famous females one, well, they're ok.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I dont think ALL irish men are like that... It depends on the guy himself I suppose... I often see gorgeous looking men walking around with plainer looking women on their arm, a lot of ppl go for personality over looks, although you'll always get men who think they're gods gift to women and nobody's good enough unless they're a supermodel.. but do you really want to be with a man like that?? Hold out for someone who deserves you, you should be glad you didnt kiss him... at least he didnt sleep with you and never ring you... in fairness to him at least he was honest about it...

often see gorgeous looking men walking around with plainer looking women on their arm

paid by the hour, extra for extras.

true there a lot to be said for havin the balls and the decentcy to just say he's not interested as much of a kick in the bum as it was

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

omg a single woman from the entire country of spain rejected me

wtf wtf is there problem they think they sooooo special they think they gods gift

i think ill send a strongly worded letter to the ministerial cabinet

:rolleyes:

Sometimes, people just plain dont like you. Yes, it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

C'mon - maybe he just didn't fancy you, plain and simple.

I wouldn't say Irish guys necessarily have high standards - it varies from guy to guy. Personally, I'd reckon I probably have quite high standards - but most of the times I'm approached by a girl (as opposed to the other way around) they usually meet thos standards, so maybe they're not as high as I believe :)

Obviously, we're going to need photos to continue this thread :p

the decency to tell his mate, her mate, he didn't like her and tell her to stop ringing me? the decent thing would have given her what she wanted then come up with a excellent excuse for slipping off the face of the communicative earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

sometimes i find it is Irish women that are up their own arses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I went on a blind date with a friend of a friend last week. We had been emailing for some time, we had similar interests and had the same sense of humour so technically we should have been a great match. With the date we also appeared to be having a great time. He was cute enough but not exactly Brad Pitt. I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either. I figured he would be up for at least a kiss but nothing happened. The feedback I got from my friend that he didn't fancy me. I know that everyone has different ideas of what they find attractive but I haven't been with an Irish guy in nearly 7 years and I have lived here almost all of that time!

I go for months on end without as much as a kiss and when I get one the guys are never Irish (and I don't hang out in Temple Bar). Anytime I go aboard I get loads of attention from guys and pull stunning ones, the type that I wouldn't even get a look in from here.

What's the deal with Irish guys -do they think their gods or something? :confused:

/me pm's phone number to scoobysnacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hang on, you went out with a guy, he didn't fancy you, so that means his standards are too high?

Glad you've got a strong ego, but let's not get ridiculous here. Perhaps he thought you looked well, but reminded him of an ex. Perhaps he'd only just broken up with someone, went on a blind date to try get over it, and realised that he's not interested.

Or perhaps he just didn't fancy you. That says nothing about your attractiveness, or his standards. I can think of plenty of women that people would say are gorgeous that do nothing for me. I can also think of plenty of women that I think are gorgeous, but some guys wouldn't look twice at them.

On a "pulling" level, Irish guys in general act very differently than most other Europeans. Either they come up to you, hammered drunk, staring at your tits, and making stupid/lewd conversation, or they just hide behind their drinks, giving you the odd look, hoping that the stars will align and you'll walk up to him and take him there on the dancefloor.
    A lot of European guys I've noticed, are forward and make an effort to come up to you, say nice things, and be moderately sober at the time.

Us Irish guys just keep fcuking it up for ourselves.

Here's a suggestion: Next time you see a cute Irish guy in the pub, don't make the eyes, and give him the odd smile. It won't work, he'll smile back but be too terrified to get off his seat. Walk up to him and say "Hi, I'm <insert name>". He'll be delighted.

on the button seamus

Deadwing wrote:
    /me pm's phone number to scoobysnacks

Dude, you have a picture in your sig of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho holding a nail gun to the back of a guys head, with the caption "Murders, executions mostly" underneath...... I don't think she'll call! :)

On topic, yeah Seamus is right, women are always moaning about us Irish men, but they'd never in a million years come up to a lad and take the initiative!

i think irish people are the funniest ****ers in the world and have amazing wit and incredible quikness with that wit more so than anyone else in the world today...but when it comes to talkin to or chattin up he opposite sex we are livin in a 1950s film

the reason why irish guys get on so well with girls from other countries is because all the training they have. Irish girls are generally nutcases. Half the time they don't know if they want to shag you or chop your willy off, then get their brother/da/the guy from across the bar to kick the crap out of you. so irish guys, by definition (excluding the horrible ones (which are in the minority)) are charming, attentive and considerate. if they are not, the female of the species, the deadlier, will kill them. so the irish abroad have no problems with the locals, because they're not used to that level of charm (dutch charm is coming over and shaking your ass at a girl, greek charm is going over and placing your hands on their hips).

another reason is irish girls, not all, but a lot, seem to have some sense of shame concerning their lepido. some seem to pretend it doesn't exist. so you're out with a girl from, let's say, Sweden (bit sterotypical but it will do), at about 12-1am you can say, i like you, you like me, let's go to bed, (in your mind you say, i'm not wasting money on a taxi/i've to be up early) let's not waste 2 hours talking crap. you say this to an irish girl and she'll freak out. heaven forbid she's interested in sex. too much hassle, too much mind games. i'd swap irish chicks for any one elses no problem.

however, some irish chicks are the most beautiful in the world. when they're good, they really are really good. but that's an intirely different thread. the jist of it is, if the only worthwhile irish chicks are top of the pyramid then they're unobtainable, but mediocre nordic/east european girls are the equivalent but more obtainable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭GOAT_BOY

So you're pissed off because some guy thought you're a 'dawg'!

And you always get guys when you go 'aboard'? Who are you shaggin? Tin Tin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Irish men are a-ok in my book! OP, it was just your imagination - sometimes there's no chemistry between two people and there's no point forcing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

there's always the mail order brides from Thailand! probably be easier to control then us irish lassies and our inherent uglyness...

here ya go, happy shopping!;)

www.goodwife.com
    www.mailorderbrides.com
    www.bridesbymail.com
    www.russianladies.com

yes and one more point i must add, i find irish men as attractive as any other!

is she a lesbian the original poster? then i'd assume it would be a case of her not liking the guy. if indeed you are a lesbian, tell the guy next time he'll be probably interested.

is she a lesbian the original poster? then i'd assume it would be a case of her not liking the guy. if indeed you are a lesbian, tell the guy next time he'll be probably interested.

Where on earth did you get that from? I'm genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭scobysnacks

I think the responses proves a point. Irish men have massive egos. One only has to go to any small town in the country to see a godness married to the elephant man and this is everywhere in Ireland. Irish guys are obese, red faced and have appaling dental hygene. The only reason they score beautiful women in the first place is because there is 2 women to every man in Dublin so they can pick and choosen who they want.

snorlax wrote:
    there's always the mail order brides from Thailand! probably be easier to control then us irish lassies and our inherent uglyness...

here ya go, happy shopping!;)

www.goodwife.com
    www.mailorderbrides.com
    www.bridesbymail.com
    www.russianladies.com

yes and one more point i must add, i find irish men as attractive as any other!

Don't need to order them now that the place is flooding with fine-ass Latvian/Polish/Lithuanian/Czech/Russian etc. women. Mmmmm. ;)

I think the responses proves a point. Irish men have massive egos. One only has to go to any small town in the country to see a godness married to the elephant man and this is everywhere in Ireland. Irish guys are obese, red faced and have appaling dental hygene. The only reason they score beautiful women in the first place is because there is 2 women to every man in Dublin so they can pick and choosen who they want.

Yes but generally, there are more men in the rural parts of Ireland so your grand theory falls apart at the seams. Also, how do you know that these women are not syphillis-infested freaks or some other such thing? You can't judge a couple by how they look.

Ah, someday your bitterness will pass. In the meantime, it makes for some amusing rants - isn't life great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Kernel where i haven't noticed this?!;)

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    Where on earth did you get that from? I'm genuinely curious.

What's the deal with Irish guys -do they think their gods or something?

If Thai brides are a solution then she's lesbian/bi so that was my reasoning.

Advertisement