Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy standards of Irish Men!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

well I have gone through this whole thing and ROFL sorry. But if I could count the times I've gotten on with someone over text/email only to have things go south in a reallife (tm) meeting... then I'd be sitting here all day. People are different in reallife(tm). While in text/email. They can come accross as charming or as fun as they want. They have time to reread things. But when you meet someone. Then it is the real them. Just because you liked the guy. Doesn't mean he had to.

Also, blind dates are always a bad idea. I dont think I have ever heard anyone say they went well and gotten a relationship out of one.

As for the High standards of men in Ireland. That all depends on the groups/type of men you go for. Maybe you need to relook at that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

hi sweep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

sutty wrote:
    As for the High standards of men in Ireland. That all depends on the groups/type of men you go for. Maybe you need to relook at that one.

Yeah, that's probably the case. From my experience, nice guys attract bitches and nice girls are attracted to assholes. It seems to be the general rule of thumb for people in their late teens to early twenties like they have some kind of masochistic perversion and refuse to go out with anyone that they know will treat them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Booo, I got deleted for explaining my thinking.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Is it my imagination or do Irish guys have ridiculously high standards?

I went on a blind date with a friend of a friend last week. We had been emailing for some time, we had similar interests and had the same sense of humour so technically we should have been a great match. With the date we also appeared to be having a great time. He was cute enough but not exactly Brad Pitt. I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either. I figured he would be up for at least a kiss but nothing happened. The feedback I got from my friend that he didn't fancy me. I know that everyone has different ideas of what they find attractive but I haven't been with an Irish guy in nearly 7 years and I have lived here almost all of that time!

I go for months on end without as much as a kiss and when I get one the guys are never Irish (and I don't hang out in Temple Bar). Anytime I go aboard I get loads of attention from guys and pull stunning ones, the type that I wouldn't even get a look in from here.

What's the deal with Irish guys -do they think their gods or something? :confused:

Ah scoby keep your lovely chin up my dear,we've all been down this harrowing road before,why even Pighead once met a girl who didnt fancy him(No I swear its true,back in 96,lovely girl called Donna,totally rejected the pig loving,poor girls dead now,totally unconnected)
    Anyway follow Pigheads handy hints and i guarantee you'll be glad you put on those fancy knickers of yours with the smiley rainbows on the night of your date.Heres how to nail that male:

Step 1:Don't stare at men or talk too much,Smile at the room in general and be interested and interesting. As the Pet Shop Boys once said, I was never bored because I was never being boring" or something similar. You get my drift.

Step 2: Don't meet him halfway or go dutch,pay the whole bill.That way he'll notice your gorgeous hands as you hand over the cheque to the waiter.

Step 3: Do date the type of people you like and are attracted to, whatever your friends may say. Who cares if hes so ugly his doctors a vet.Approval by your peers doesn't prove a thing.

Step 4: Act like your the Queen of the world. Be rude, but not enough to offend. Make yourself appear dominant and sexy in everything that you do... even if your not. Tom Cruise can't really kick arse, but the wee fella looks like he can in his films cant he.He has me fooled and you sweet scoby can fool me too

Step 5: Never ask a fella if you can kiss him! Just do it. This is one of those situations where lads like to see a girl that can take control and do what she wants, so show him that you've got a pair of ovaries and just do it.

Follow these 5 steps and i guarantee you'll be back on boards next week with a thread titled "Irish men cant shag"

DISCLAIMER:The above Pighead guarantee is given only if the statement "I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either" is true,if this is in anyway false and scobysnacks is actually so ugly she has to sneak up to the mirror to look at herself then the above guarantee no longer considered valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Pighead wrote:
    Ah scoby keep your lovely chin up my dear,we've all been down this harrowing road before,why even Pighead once met a girl who didnt fancy him(No I swear its true,back in 96,lovely girl called Donna,totally rejected the pig loving,poor girls dead now,totally unconnected)
    Anyway follow Pigheads handy hints and i guarantee you'll be glad you put on those fancy knickers of yours with the smiley rainbows on the night of your date.Heres how to nail that male:

Step 1:Don't stare at men or talk too much,Smile at the room in general and be interested and interesting. As the Pet Shop Boys once said, I was never bored because I was never being boring" or something similar. You get my drift.

Step 2: Don't meet him halfway or go dutch,pay the whole bill.That way he'll notice your gorgeous hands as you hand over the cheque to the waiter.

Step 3: Do date the type of people you like and are attracted to, whatever your friends may say. Who cares if hes so ugly his doctors a vet.Approval by your peers doesn't prove a thing.

Step 4: Act like your the Queen of the world. Be rude, but not enough to offend. Make yourself appear dominant and sexy in everything that you do... even if your not. Tom Cruise can't really kick arse, but the wee fella looks like he can in his films cant he.He has me fooled and you sweet scoby can fool me too

Step 5: Never ask a fella if you can kiss him! Just do it. This is one of those situations where lads like to see a girl that can take control and do what she wants, so show him that you've got a pair of ovaries and just do it.

Follow these 5 steps and i guarantee you'll be back on boards next week with a thread titled "Irish men cant shag"

DISCLAIMER:The above Pighead guarantee is given only if the statement "I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either" is true,if this is in anyway false and scobysnacks is actually so ugly she has to sneak up to the mirror to look at herself then the above guarantee no longer considered valid.

Lmao, pighead whats your advice for guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Pighead you absolute legend I see you are back again...

Scoby I cant really figure out what the story is. If it is standards could it be that foreigners have lower ones than us. I dunno maybe..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

haha lol

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭scobysnacks

I wouldn't say I'm desperate at all. As with my previous posts all my friends are paired up; not that I have to do what everyone else is doing but I do end up doing a fair bit on my own.

For example - holidays, my mates all go with their blokes and I've been to visit everyone I know living abroad at least twice at this stage and would like to go somewhere different. I have traveled on my own and it was a brilliant experience and I met loads of people but I did spend days alone and sometimes afraid in big cities at night! Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to do those sorta things with and share the experience.With my current situation I do have loads of great friends but I spend all my time being the gooseberry .I spent the June bank holiday in the west of Ireland in a house with five touchy feely smug couples and me . Unknown to me beforehand, the place was on a side of a mountain so I didn't even escape to the boozer!

It's ok when you have at least a little group that are single that you can do stuff with but when your totally alone it can become really depressing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Sarky wrote:
    Unfortunately, the rest of the adventuring party is in the stomach of the Beholder.

I loose more hirelings that way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I wouldn't say I'm desperate at all. As with my previous posts all my friends are paired up; not that I have to do what everyone else is doing but I do end up doing a fair bit on my own.

For example - holidays, my mates all go with their blokes and I've been to visit everyone I know living abroad at least twice at this stage and would like to go somewhere different. I have traveled on my own and it was a brilliant experience and I met loads of people but I did spend days alone and sometimes afraid in big cities at night! Sometimes it would be nice to have someone to do those sorta things with and share the experience.With my current situation I do have loads of great friends but I spend all my time being the gooseberry .I spent the June bank holiday in the west of Ireland in a house with five touchy feely smug couples and me . Unknown to me beforehand, the place was on a side of a mountain so I didn't even escape to the boozer!

It's ok when you have at least a little group that are single that you can do stuff with but when your totally alone it can become really depressing!

Ah scoby c'mon cheer up buddy,
    I don't think you're freaky, standing up for what you believe-in takes courage. Many of us struggle with our identity, but if you believe strongly in yourself then you should have the patience it takes to meet the right person. You need to ask yourself two things: (1) Why are you waiting and (2) If you are going to wait then why are you torturing yourself by going on dates? If you do not want to have sex now, then sex should not be on your mind. Don't go out on dates, but do get out and socialize, have fun, and don't worry about it. Widen your pool of aquaintances so that you have a chance to meet someone more compatible. When you least expect it, you'll meet that person. If you are feeling impatient, you could speed up the process by going to singles events, a dating service or by running a personal ad.
    Failing all that refer back to my 5 easy steps to bed a fellow as seen above
    Good Luck Scoby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

From the amount of posts on similar subjects i think this place could do with a dating forum. Who's with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

a dating forum now theres an idea that'd be a laugh we'd get some stories lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Pighead wrote:

F*cking classic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

there are those who take the "Confidence = compensatory for looks" thing wayyyyy too far and end up believing they are something that is far beyond them
    I can't agree with that more. The amount of girls you meet in Dublin whose confidence has grown to arrogance is shocking.

but see its th lads that do that to them if i'm talkin to a girl and she's a stunner i'd neer compliment her until i was talkin to her for a while cos thats all they seem to want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

For years and years the irish woman where the most attractive and in recent years with the introduction of other races the "irish girls" are no longer irish, in my school year back in 1999 we had 5 girls who werent irish but now that number has gotten as high as half the class group!

So the now a days irish girl isnt always an irish girl...

true but when i hear irish i think of irish upbringing and background

and JCOOTE what is your thoughts on irish upbringing and background??

ilved here all there life and have irish parents=irish...i'm not saying someone wih a chinese father isn't irish but from an appearence point of view they wouldn't really be

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goingmental

On topic, yeah Seamus is right, women are always moaning about us Irish men, but they'd never in a million years come up to a lad and take the initiative![/QUOTE]

eh so not true.!! Me and my friends are well able to go up to guys and talk,,(mind you we'd need a few voddies me thinks) and we have great craic!

i feel sorry for her that she thinks that Irish men have too high standards,, you need to mingle more,, not all irish guys are complete plonkers that some of these above seem to be.. (some exceptions- grapes and lucozade!!) ;)
    Go and put yourself out there.. (now i didnt say put out there!) and you;ll find you;ll have some fun,, flirt and have the craic, and if you are half as confident as you seem to think you are( which is good,,,) you'll pull!!!

ok i dont get you at all??

whats your idea on upbringing and background. Saying you lived here means nothing. I've lived here but my views and yours maybe different!

So please explain your stament.

but she seems dead set on settling tho goingmental...maybe the vibes she's giving off are too serious or something...i've very rarely seen women initiating a conversation wit any intent behind it myself...or mayb women are just more subtle in their approach than men i dunno

i a girl has 2 african parents and lives here hs an irish passport and accent and all that then she is irish yeah...but wht i'm sayin is if u say t someone explain an irish girl they won't say darkskined with black hair and brown eyes will they...i'm only talkin about apperence here cos thats what we are on about...i know what u mean about half the country bein non nationals tho...get me now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 goingmental

i hear ya Jcoote but how are you going to know which one you want if you dont try a few!! she cant settle for the first one that comes along,,,
    some girls can be subtle i suppose, which is good too, and some can be downright rude and ignorant,, BUT:::::the way to a womans heart is not up her skirt and down her pants either which a lot of Irish men seem to think!!!

I say go and have fun,, stay away from the foreigners,(not that there is anything wrong with non irish before anyone starts) but stick to your own for a while and see what happens!!!

I say go and have fun,, stay away from the foreigners,(not that there is anything wrong with non irish before anyone starts) but stick to your own for a while and see what happens!!!

thats a great statement well done :p

my head was messed up last year (and the 21 before that) and i kinda picked people who made me fall a bit deeper into the mess i as in...maybe this is whats happening here she's just selecting the wrong people or giving off the wrong vibes or somethin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tink~lvs~ptr

not wanting to be a bitch but in my books unless your parents are irish then your not! you can have an irish passport if you like but i dont see you as irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

contraversial. that's a whole different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Skip wrote:
    but how could he see them with Beauty in his Eye? :confused:

Darkvision (Su).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

not wanting to be a bitch but in my books unless your parents are irish then your not! you can have an irish passport if you like but i dont see you as irish!
    Some yanks think they're Irish, as they can trace their family, on both sides, all the way back to Ireland.

Advertisement