Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy standards of Irish Men!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

This thread is so off topic it's not even funny*

ok I lied, it is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its simple, to succeed on the dating scene Irish women should be:

Funny, interesting, sexy, good-looking, smart, mysterious, charming, playful, flexible, generous, kind, thoughtful, intelligent, and clean like a brillo pad.

- Irish men should manage their nose-hair and not adjust their testicles in public.

Scobysnacks, I once worked with a guy who memorably said "you need a goose to catch a goose"

Maybe theres a chivalrous boards member who'd be willing to step out with you to some event/concert/recital and be your goose while you flaunt your sexuality like a craven heathen. Irish men will see your goose and inevitably reason that you are not something to run from, but are indeed a shagadelic lapsed catholic girl - cue love-making beneath shady palm trees etc. etc.

C'mon boards gents lets get this one off the ground.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i aggree with Seamus that definetly more women should take the initiative when chatting up men, i do and for me it has been very sucessful, so long as you use a bit of tact, unfortunetly some men only understand the sledge hammer effect, so you'v got to be more direct if they don't take the hint...

i think there's still a taboo around the place that the man should always ask the women out, but what if the men are just too shy/ afraid? then they probably won't ask you even if they fancy you so therefore action must be taken must be taken by the woman, and what has the women got to lose only the chance of getting a possible date with a fella who's too shy to chat you up...id say most men would be complemented if they got asked out even if they didnt necessarily fancy you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

What if the woman's too shy to chat up the shy guy? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

shy ppl have pron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

eh so not true.!! Me and my friends are well able to go up to guys and talk,,(mind you we'd need a few voddies me thinks) and we have great craic!

Mr. Exception, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Mr. Rule.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fcuk_me_sideway

f
    u
    c
    k

all of them in the

b
    u
    m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Skip wrote:
    What if the woman's too shy to chat up the shy guy? :o

If the womans too shy to chat up the shy guy then the shy woman will be heading off home to her not so shy vibrator.
    Ladies i'm no welsh whiner but for god sake,if you want it come and get it for crying out loud
    Let go your heart,Let go your head,And feel it now.(C)-DG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Skip

shy ppl have pron.

so you don't have any?

it catch 25 suituation, what have you got to lose? you'll never know unless you ask, there are ways around shyness too, eg email /text message. if nobody asks knowone gets a date, people are afraid for the most part of rejection thats why they don't ask, but if thats the worst thing that can happen at least you can say you tried, and if the persons half decent they should be quite nice about letting you down, unless they'r arrogant and it would probably be in your best interests to stear clear of those people anyhow..

• Advertisement

Having Tits doesn't make a lady. Perhaps he's one of those Irish guys that doesn't want to date a "woman" with mens mannerisms. (which many irish women tend to display)

Then again, do you have ginger hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

snorlax wrote:
    it catch 25 suituationQUOTE]

thats the best ever from now on when i'm in a catch 22 situation its gonna be a catch 25...brilliant stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Having Tits doesn't make a lady.
    Very true. A bit of class never hurt anyone's chances and knowing the difference between class and being a snotty biatch has been something guaranteed to catch my eye for years :)

My problem with Irish women is that they seem to take equality too far. They've become beer-gussling, fight-seeking bitches, often with beer bellies. Huge generalisation, but I think most the men can agree that many Irish women have lost their feminine aspect, and are just men with different equipment.... :rolleyes:

Probably the reason why we like Spanish or foreign women so much. They're more in touch with their feminine side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yeah i don't actually want to go out with one of mates but with a pair of tits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My problem with Irish women is that they seem to take equality too far. They've become beer-gussling, fight-seeking bitches, often with beer bellies. Huge generalisation, but I think most the men can agree that many Irish women have lost their feminine aspect, and are just men with different equipment.... :rolleyes:

Probably the reason why we like Spanish or foreign women so much. They're more in touch with their feminine side.

This is so true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

I can say this, because I'm not irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

yeah i don't actually want to go out with one of mates but with a pair of tits.
    Really, I think most of us want a mix tbh. Someone you can hang out and watch DVD's and have a laugh that's as comfortable on a weekend away with your friends as she is on a weekend away with just the two of you in a posh hotel somewhere ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Is it my imagination or do Irish guys have ridiculously high standards?

I went on a blind date with a friend of a friend last week. We had been emailing for some time, we had similar interests and had the same sense of humour so technically we should have been a great match. With the date we also appeared to be having a great time. He was cute enough but not exactly Brad Pitt. I'm no supermodel but not exactly what you would call plain either. I figured he would be up for at least a kiss but nothing happened. The feedback I got from my friend that he didn't fancy me. I know that everyone has different ideas of what they find attractive but I haven't been with an Irish guy in nearly 7 years and I have lived here almost all of that time!

I go for months on end without as much as a kiss and when I get one the guys are never Irish (and I don't hang out in Temple Bar). Anytime I go aboard I get loads of attention from guys and pull stunning ones, the type that I wouldn't even get a look in from here.

What's the deal with Irish guys -do they think their gods or something? :confused:

you must be going to the wrong places or are extremly fussy yourself withiout realising it if this sort of thing is happening to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭ergo

Woah! I have just spent a relatively large part of my evening reading this from start to finish, head still spinning

Pighead, how could they think of banning you with contributions like that? LOL, though I haven't seen much of your other stuff...

to OP: I'm not sure if we've gotten higher standards or just sometimes guys get to a stage where a random drunken snog is not the be all and end all,
    or in your case a post-date-which-went-OK-snog for that matter, especially if we can't see a future in it, what's the point?

if there's no magic there then there's no magic so I'd be moving on ASAP but in the nicest possible way

and yeah, girls should definitely take the initiative more, but not in too aggressive a way or the guy will be running a mile,

maybe, like someone said, it still is the 1950's here though

and yeah I know stunning girls from the small town I'm originally from, going out with, well not quite elephants but maybe borderline, it happens, but also vice versa and maybe more so vice versa in Dublin

• Advertisement

Really, I think most of us want a mix tbh. Someone you can hang out and watch DVD's and have a laugh that's as comfortable on a weekend away with your friends as she is on a weekend away with just the two of you in a posh hotel somewhere

Definetly. There's too much of a separator with many Irish women. On one hand, you have daddy's little princess, who throws a tantrum every 5 seconds, can't stand your friends on principle, expects the best of everything, and is likely to get Fat after 3 weeks of a relationship. On the other hand you have the tomboy's, who expect to be included on the lads nights out, will try ( and often succeed) in out drinking you, will physically fight with you, and the potential remains for her to pick a fight with anotehr girl outside a club.

Two major extremes, but I think you know what I mean. And on a general note, a great number are extremely insecure about their looks, insecure about their self-worth (afraid they'll lose their man), jealous, and often quite paranoid.

God bless Irish women! :D

some women probably are insecure when they'r younger (what age women are you talking about? older women are generally more confident/ secure in themselvses).

Klaz, it shocking to just categorize all women, just face it wer'e very different from fellas and we think differently about stuff too, probably cos we don't want to end up pregnant and the father abandoning us (instincts etc) that we are inevitably fussier about who we go to bed with.
    let's face it how would you be able to reproduce without us? you must have developed an antidote a long time ago to overcome our "nuttyness/ jeaslousness" etc etc ;)! ps most people on this boards originated from a woman if not from a stork and spent 9 months inside their mother's stomach, so you should be used to us by now!
    in fairness if men got pregnant too maybe theyd understand... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

A LOT of Irish girls would look 20 times better without the blonde highlights, hoop earrings and face full of make up.

Kernel wrote:
    Dude, you have a picture in your sig of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho holding a nail gun to the back of a guys head, with the caption "Murders, executions mostly" underneath...... I don't think she'll call! :)

That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! I have to sig it!

Anyway, lighten up everyone. It's summer, the time when all the hot people who were hibernating for the winter come out:D

A LOT of Irish girls would look 20 times better without the blonde highlights, hoop earrings and face full of make up

Ditto
    Klaz, it shocking to just categorize all women, just face it wer'e very different from fellas and we think differently about stuff too, probably cos we don't want to end up pregnant and the father abandoning us (instincts etc) that we are inevitably fussier about who we go to bed with.

Actually I don't think I mentioned anything to do with sex or the difficulty of getting into their nickers. And it might suprise you to know that alot of men are fussy about who we sleep with based on the womans sexual reputation, and the fact that we have to pay for child support.

And I'd rather not categorise women, but alot of women do fall into certain categories, simply because they style themselves that way.

But then most of the women I know categorise men the same way into things like geeks, rugby jocks, etc... (often is worse terms that we would use about women)
    in fairness if men got pregnant too maybe theyd understand...

And if women actually wanted equality and had to put up with all the ****e that we do firstly to get a "date", then they might understand some of our feelings about women. Its archaic, but then it makes things very easy for women. Just curious, how many times have you approached a guy you were attracted to either in clubs or outside of them?

(Klaz that last post was abit of a joke in case ya missed da Smilies!) :D

anyhow to answer your question iv chatted up guys plenty of times and to much sucess , but iv gone off nightclubs because generally i don't think theyr that good places to meet men in, as drunken snogs with strangers arent' really my thing any more! besides you never get the real person when they'r drunk.

indeed some women get around more then others but you will find in general its generally the fellas waiting around the dancefloor at the end of the night trying to score not the women. most women are fussier then men and dont say theyr not, at least 30% o f my year in college are still virgins (20-21yr olds), how do i knowthis? because i asked them. yes they are a couple who would sleep with anyone but they are the exception rather then the rule, and generally most girls who aren't virgins prefer to be in a commited relationship before they do have sex.
    again it is unfair to generalise because youv met a few not so nice girls, there's not so nice men aswell, its just another stereotype/ prejudicial attitude which probably exists because you'v had some bad experiences with a woman/ women. can i ask why you seem so annoyed at women?

(Klaz that last post was abit of a joke in case ya missed da Smilies!)

Heh. Most of my posts were made in the Politics forum. I don't really have a sense of humor. I try though. sometimes. :D
    i v chatted up guys plenty of times and to much sucess , but iv gone off nightclubs because generally i don't think theyr that good places to meet men in, as drunken snogs with strangers arent' really my thing! you never get the real person when they'r drunk anyhow.

Fair enough. But the fact remains that most women won't approach a guy they like simply because it makes them leave their comfort zone. They'll be exposed to the same factors that we're constantly exposed to especially the whole rejection aspect. If a guy wants to be successful on the dating (or shagging) scene, they need to learn to ignore rejection as being bad. Women on the other hand enjoy having the power to turn down guys, and aren't likely to change that any time soon. My female friends mostly agree with me on that. (there are a few that don't agree)

The girl who started this thread was shocked a guy would turn her down. Women turn guys down all the time, and nobody gets suprised. :rolleyes:
    indeed some if us get around more then others but you will find in general its generally the fellas waiting around the dancefloor at the end of the night trying to score not the women.

True. Because most guys know that they're not going to get laid by waiting for women to approach them.
    most women are fussier then men and dont say theyr not, at least 30%o f my year in college are still virgins (20-21yr olds), how do i knowthis? because i asked them. yes they are a couple who would sleep with anyone but they are the exception rather then the rule, and generally most girls who aren't virgins prefer to be in a commited relationship before they do have sex.

You might be suprised to know that there are alot of guys that reach 20-23 and will still be Virgins. I had a friend that waited till he was 25 until he got laid (lol. A friend, not me suprising enough). Partly because he was too shy to approach women, and also because he didn't want to shag a minger. And I don't have anything against women, that stay virgins to older ages. In fact, I only mentioned sex after you did.
    again it is unfair to generalise because youv met a few not so nice girls, there's not so nice men aswell, its just another stereotype/ prejudicial attitude which probably exists because you'v had some bad experiences with a woman/ women. can i ask why you seem so annoyed at women?

LOL> I'm not annoyed with women per se. I rather like most women. (they're issue driven, and really love to dramatise things, but they are adorable most of the time) And I haven't had the bad experiences you're expecting me to have. But I've been going out to clubs since I was 15, and I'm 28 now. During that time I've observed how people behave with the opposite sex, and you're blinding yourself a wee bit if you don't think stereotypes exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

man and woman both get rejected! its time we understood why...
    its because we didnt want to go there!

Where in gods name do you hang out?

• Advertisement

stereotypes do exist but they get exagerated all the time especially in threads like this, where people pick the worst aspects of each gender(or anything else for that matter) to talk about. eg a previous poster mentioned all "women are saps" and are "complete nutcases", im trying to prove that not all stereotypes match up.

thats interesting you mention about more fellas being virgins then i think, do you have any idea how many/ few are/ aren't? im only 20, but im under the impression that its rare in college to find a fella who hasnt had sex.

Advertisement