Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor roaming

Options
  • 11-07-2005 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Now that meteor have normal roaming arrangements in the UK, does anyone know when they'll have it in all other countries and stop this 60euro and credit card nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Completely off topic but anyway. I was up north last week and the roaming didn't work for me. I had coverage with T-Mobile but it wouldn't let me call or text anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

hibs4ever wrote:
    Now that meteor have normal roaming arrangements in the UK, does anyone know when they'll have it in all other countries and stop this 60euro and credit card nonsense?
    Whenever they get their billing system sorted out to handle it, I guess. Apparently it's "not a priority" (as they told me when I enquired previously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TimeSlot

bennyx_o wrote:
    Completely off topic but anyway. I was up north last week and the roaming didn't work for me. I had coverage with T-Mobile but it wouldn't let me call or text anyone.

Hey benny, check out your network preferences list. If you ever tried to access Meteor from the North and been refused chances are that the Meteor network ID got placed on your negative list.

Next time try the manual network selection menu. If you manually select Meteor while you are there and get approved (which you should now) then the list will get updated.

Worked for me in London when I had the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I was over in the the north of engloand and travelled down to the southcoast. Basicially out in the country side middle of nowhere and had no problems roaming on Orange with my Meteor phone. In fact I had a better signal than I do in parts of Dublin. Was on the network the minute I stopped off the plan in East midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Shame they dont have a roaming agreement in Ireland so when you FREQUENTLY go out of coverage it could fail over to O2 / vodafone / 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I'm in the north every other day and never have coverage with meteor, i tried manual selection and all but no luck.

Must ring them again and complain about my coverage at home which has still disappeared without a trace and this roaming now!

Farlz

It should switch to O2 but I had problem where O2 people have coverage and I don't. Which shouldn't happen. That said I haven't had coverage problems lately. Meteor are definately cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I roamed with orange and i called my mother for 11 seconds and it cost me...wait for it

99c
    Thats €5.40 per minute.. great valu altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

It should switch to O2 but I had problem where O2 people have coverage and I don't. Which shouldn't happen. That said I haven't had coverage problems lately. Meteor are definately cheaper.

It'll only switch over to O2 in certain areas (eg. Donegal, Mayo) where Meteor don't have any masts at all. If you're in other counties where there isn't any Meteor reception, I don't think it'll allow you to select O2 - but I could be wrong? :confused:

byrnefm wrote:
    It'll only switch over to O2 in certain areas (eg. Donegal, Mayo) where Meteor don't have any masts at all. If you're in other counties where there isn't any Meteor reception, I don't think it'll allow you to select O2 - but I could be wrong? :confused:

I would have though it would switch if it can't get a signal from a Meteor Mast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I would have though it would switch if it can't get a signal from a Meteor Mast.

I think the arrangement is in the counties where they have no coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

You can now roam in 2 countries without the silly 60 Euro credit card top up. They say they want to expand the free set up roaming to more countries. (About time ...)

http://www.meteor.ie/services/roaming.html

I like the way they are changing it ... keeping the largest PAYG roaming lists out of all the networks but at the same time giving free set up to the most popular countries (where Meteor can get the real time billing info).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

I remember getting a text from Meteor a few weeks back telling me about this. At the time I thought it was a good thing, but I'm just after looking at the site and I've changed my opinion big time.
    I've had roaming enabled on my PAYG account since last October. Initially I paid the 60 Eur and after a bit of persuasion I managed to get them to activate the service a second time, and a third time free of charge. They then told me that since the bar was lifted 3 times, it is then permanently lifted, so I thought to myself - happy days. I've been paying E0.75 pm to call Ireland, E0.30 per text, and around E0.60 pm for incoming calls. To take advantage of these prices, I used Vodafone. Under this new scheme, I'm gonna get hammered.
    First of all, I can't roam on Vodafone any more, PAYG roaming is only possible on Orange and T-Mobile.
    Secondly, all calls are now charged at E0.99 pm, with a minimum call charge of E0.99, and billed in 30 second segments.
    Thirdly, incoming calls now cost E0.99 pm, charged on a per second basis.
    ... and finally, texts now cost E0.39, regardless of the country to which they are being sent.

Bottom line - I'm gonna get hammered if I use my phone in the UK, bring back the old system!

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I ended up buying an Orange SIM... 20p/min to call Ireland, 35p peak & 10p off-peak within the UK. Texts: 12p UK, 20p international. It also means I don't mind receiving calls while I'm over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Before we went to Australia last year my friend went in to Meteor to ask about roaming.
    Girl in Meteor shop was very unhelpful - at the end of it all asked her what continent Australia was in? Was it in Europe? :confused:
    Scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Yeah...also have a Virgin Mobile sim myself. It's grand and cheap for making calls, I just hate having a different number when I'm over there. Does anyone know if it's possible to forward texts from Meteor to a UK mobile?

Advertisement