Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME on Dawson St closed

Options
  • 11-07-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

I see that Game on Dawson St. is closed for renovations until 13 August. Nearest store is now Henry St ffs. Wouldn't it have made more sense to renovate the dawson St. store before they closed Grafton St?? Now gone from two stores to none in three months :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

of course it would have, but GAME Ltd. has never been one to make sense.

The refit has been in the pipeline for about 2 years now, maybe more. Grafton St. closed the minute it got a buyer, and so could have been a lot sooner/later. GAME just have terrible organisation skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I only found out Grafton St. closed last week when I was in town! That was a shock!
    How long has it been gone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should be buying online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

tallpaul wrote:
    I see that Game on Dawson St. is closed for renovations until 13 August. Nearest store is now Henry St ffs. Wouldn't it have made more sense to renovate the dawson St. store before they closed Grafton St?? Now gone from two stores to none in three months :rolleyes:
    Is it really that difficult to walk across the Liffey?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Is it really that difficult to walk across the Liffey?

When you only get an hour for lunch/on a hot day like today/ only want to browse/see what they have secondhand*... yes it is a pain...

*Take your pick

• Advertisement

tallpaul wrote:
    When you only get an hour for lunch/on a hot day like today/ only want to browse/see what they have secondhand*... yes it is a pain...

*Take your pick
    Fair enough. If times a factor then yes, I guess it is a problem.

I was in there yesterday and had a look around... I really didn't see anything great in their sale... if that's any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Retr0gamer wrote:
    You should be buying online anyway.
    game dawson street had a great deal on ffxi it was only 20 euros in there, around the same price from play.com but without the long delivery wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Yeah, Dawson seemed a magnet for a few rare gems alright. Hopefully it'll continue to do so after the refit.

Dawson Street is a nicer shop alright. It's got so much more space and it all seems to be laid out better. I hope they don't go and ruin it.

Have you seen where they have stuck the Gamecube games in Henry Street now? It's a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

just been to blanch shopping centre for something and they're renovating there too!

was only in it on staurday, and there was nothing obvious on the walls about closing for renovations.

got a glimpse through the posters in the windows and they're almost completely gutted the front half of the place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

where do they have it? I know in Dawson St. the GC section was pretty poor, it's pretty much the norm now. Apparently it's because Ninty don't play "the game" and pay for their space like MS and Sony do, but at the same time the floor space is decided by sales too, the GBA used to have a better space than the GC for example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

vibe666 wrote:
    just been to blanch shopping centre for something and they're renovating there too!

was only in it on staurday, and there was nothing obvious on the walls about closing for renovations.

got a glimpse through the posters in the windows and they're almost completely gutted the front half of the place.

big Coincidence game in galway is closed for renovations as well,
    something smells here and it aint me :D

flogen wrote:
    where do they have it? I know in Dawson St. the GC section was pretty poor, it's pretty much the norm now.
    You go in the front door, turn right, turn right again and then turn left and there they are hidden away in a little corner that used be used for DVDs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have you seen where they have stuck the Gamecube games in Henry Street now? It's a total joke.

I couldn't find them for ages. They are in the section that the DVDs were in.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I couldn't find them for ages. They are in the section that the DVDs were in.
    Next thing they'll be down in a basement somewhere behind a door with a sign reading "Beware of Leopard!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Next thing they'll be down in a basement somewhere behind a door with a sign reading "Beware of Leopard!"

nice quote :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Ahhhhh, that would explain why it was closed when I wanted a browse around at about 11, hope the boss doesn't see this.

I didn't notice any signs but that's a result of my inattentiveness.

Jaysus and now the Blanch one is closed? Kerazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

At least we still have Mr Calculator!

RotalicaV wrote:
    At least we still have Mr Calculator!

I would joke about it being the Brown Thomas of videogame retail but the place is as seedy as an episode of Ground Force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Slurms wrote:
    Jaysus and now the Blanch one is closed? Kerazy!
    Blanch is open, but it's about half a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

yawn.................................................................

who cares? honestly? buy your games on the net or go to HMV on Grathon St. this thread is waaaaaay too serious considering the subject.

Oh, I ain't a playa hater, don't get me wrong.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

These are people browse/shop in these shops regularly, some work or have worked with the named retailer. But I don’t think anybody but you was seriously considering the subject.

If you don't want to know any more, don't read beyond the first post. And if you’re really not interested then why the hell are you replying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

i know what i'm talking about. you wanna be a fool? well i won't play ball.

glad to see the back of me i'm sure

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Why would I be "glad to see the back of" you? No, don't reply, just get back on topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that bloodninjacult sounds like a Gamestop manager or somethin :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ah, i noticed the door closed yesterday... thats two down, and the staff there were nice too

They're not going to be rebranded EB are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

flogen wrote:
    of course it would have, but GAME Ltd. has never been one to make sense.

The refit has been in the pipeline for about 2 years now, maybe more. Grafton St. closed the minute it got a buyer, and so could have been a lot sooner/later. GAME just have terrible organisation skills.
    Sounds like the money they got off the sale of the Grafton St branch is being pumped into the others renovations, tbh.
    You have to remember: Grafton St is on of the most expensive streets in Europe, rent-wise!

• Advertisement

Blanch is open, but it's about half a shop.
    You lied! It's closed until the 16th for renovation.

Advertisement