Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Black & White to Colour??

Options
  • 11-07-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I think this was covered here before but I can't find the thread. I want to convert a black & white jpeg into a colour image. Can anybody help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

as in you want to make it look like a colour photograph as opposed to simply altering the colour from black to, say, blue & still keeping it monochrome? far as i know you can't just change it to colour, it'd be very complicated, basically you'd have to repaint the photograph with the respective colours (or at least that's all i can think of). when a colour image is converted to black and white it disregards all colour info - likewise a black and white picture has no colour info to refer to so there's no easy way to convert.

however you can adjust the overall hue of the picture - if you open it with photoshop, then on the toolbar click Image > Adjust > Hue/Saturation. then mess about with the settings as you see fit. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

First change your image mode to CYMK
    then you must select each area that is a different colour, eg. a blue vase
    and make a new adjustment layer->curves, group it with the previous layer, and give it a rational name.

Now the image can be coloured in small sections by adjusting the curves, this does not affect the original image and your area of effect can be changed with simple mask manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

What software do you use?

If it is Macromedia fireworks, then I may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

You would be better just sticking with the simple method... have a look in the attached zip. The page is no longer there. You could also just use your select tool to select the desired area and create a new layer and then fill with the colour you want then set to overlay, screen or multiply depending on what you want. Hope that helps you out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

show me what u want to change, ill try to help with CS2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭call_me_fish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I still think the method I mentioned above gives superior quality

Heres a tutorial on it http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161018

Advertisement