Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Braids

• 11-07-2005 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

timoshenko_b.jpg
    Julia Timoszenko is a real trendsetter (although it's a fake braid on her)!
    Actually, girls wearing braids is an old tradition from the pagan tribes of the ancient slavs and still everywhere in Eastern Europe, especially in Poland, Russia, Ukraine and Slovakia, it's very common that girls have very long hair and artistically plait them into one or more braids.
    When I arrived in Ireland, many people were amazed about my braids and about the fact that I plait them on my own and I already taught many people how to do it artistically (i.e. around the head, or with 4 and 5 bunches of hair) and showed tricks how to make them look really stylish.
    I experienced that especially boys like them.

What are your opinions on braids?
    Or do you think they look too Eastern European, too childish, too sweetish, too old- fashioned, ...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You don't see them too much on women here so when they look good they really stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Braids look terrible on anyone who isn't black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

I wouldn't be a fan of cornrows as I think they look really tacky on white people (particularly girls), and I don't like those milkmaid-looking braids like in the first picture. However! I do love the french braids at the front + side of the head look that celebs like Jessica Simpson and Gwen Stefani have been rocking lately. Helps that their faces are pretty damn perfect though, most people couldnt' do such severe hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Olbol

Full on African braids or corn rows wreck ur hair!! Dry it, breakit, frizz it, unbelievable damage..I learned the hard way...did my hair three yrs ago and I swear my hair os only gettin bk to normal in the last six months...ruined! They dont suit white girls at all...our hair just aint made for em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

what she has in the picture is a plat princess laya style!(sp!)

but braded has is ok! Dreads are better!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

qz wrote:
    Braids look terrible on anyone who isn't black.
    Maybe you mean the african braids, which i actually didn't mean.
    However, you are right that African braids look best on dark skinned girls.
    But the braids that I mean look best on blond hair (in my opinion), for instance: one braid hanging on each side of the shoulder or the Anna Kournikova- braid.
    Most Irish girls have too dark hair, but maybe they look nice on some.
    I also think that (fair) plaits are generally associated with Eastern European girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Braids on the top of the head look too Heidi-ish on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I think they're really cute. I've seen Summer in the OC sporting this style and it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lisa88

I'm gettin "braids" or plaits (as i call them) all ova my head for holidays
    anybody know how much the price is usually to get them done? (full head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Olbol

Lisa88 wrote:
    I'm gettin "braids" or plaits (as i call them) all ova my head for holidays
    anybody know how much the price is usually to get them done? (full head)

DON'T DO IT!!!! IT'LL RUIN UR HAIR!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement