Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever used djbdns?

• 30-07-2001 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭

If you have, do you have any handy resources for it? I need to get it up and running on two servers and I need to learn a bit about it smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yes, it's fab!!

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html (author's site) and

http://tinydns.org/
    (user's site)

Who says unix geeks are usless smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

Its pretty good, Though I have come accross one or two irritating things about it.
    Well, one actually.
    When your specifying the contact address in the SOA for a reverse subnetwith a '.' record,
    djb automagically sticks hostmaster on the front.
    Thus for the 192.168.1 subnet, your contact would be hostmaster.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    Which could have its advantages., however RIPE's script to check your DNS configuration
    barfs at this, so you have to do roundabouts with 'Z' '&' and '=' records.

Of course DJB has a retort for this, he says just use the '.' record, make hostmaster@1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    deliverable and go bleet at RIPE to fix their script.
    *shrug*
    It could be handy in that *if* the (say) .ie tld name servers borked, people could still get mail through to your contact.

Actually, has anyone used djb for subdeligation for reverse CIDR subnets ?
    i.e. say I have the 192.168.1 class C but I
    want to poing 192.168.1.96/28 at a customers
    name server so that they can look after
    the reverse PTR records themselves.

Theres a bit in the docs that seems to indicate that it can be done, but I havn't
    actually tried as yet.
    Has anyone else ?

[This message has been edited by moist (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Moist, I'm going to try this soon. I'll let you know how it goes :)
    If you've done it in the mean time, I'd love to know how it went for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

I don't actually work at the company any more, so I never got around to trying (it was never needed while I was there...)
    But it would be interested to know if it can actually be done for future referance :)

Advertisement