Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda CRX Del Sol..anyone had one?

Options
  • 11-07-2005 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm in the market to change motors at the moment...
    Just came across a Honda CRX Del Sol for sale.
    Nice little run around, but I've never heard of one before , let alone known anyone who had one.
    Anyone got any experience with them, good or bad??

I'm assuming being a Honda it should be reliable...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

I think the roofing mechanism tends to get stuck in the boot or something, and leaks alittle too.

fast enough in first & second gear in 1.6vtech guise, and not really a civic so ppl wont think you're a boyracing tosser..

do it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The CRX Del Sol is based on the 1992 - 1995 Honda Civic so mechanically they are very reliable. It has a targa top so the centre section of the roof can pop out on sunny days like today rather like the old MR2. Don't expect much in the way of performance as it used the standard Civic engine rather than the high performance Type-R ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

drove one the the states for a while. very tolerable car with reasonable handling.

wont set the world on fire speedwise, but overally nippy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Owned one for a year - prepare for a wet right knee if you buy a pre 94 one , they changed the design of the roof seals after this date. Almost all of them leak before this date. The roof doesn't catch tightly enough either, so you can experience the roof 'jumping' on certain roads - a few washers and an hour of your time sorts this out.

The electric roof (transtop) weighs about 70Kg's when the motors are taken into account, so avoid if you can. They're quite rattly as well. Its still looks relatively modern though, unlike the previous shape (which did handle much better as standard)

Cheap and cheerful - all Civic underpinnings (suspension/engine etc), don't pay through the nose cos its summer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

What was that about the previous shape?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Thanks for the words of wisdom, seems like a nice toy (totally impractical).
    Did a quick search around, only found 95 and 96 models. Any idea what year they went out of production...I'd rather get one a bit newer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

its not an impractical car at all! They are reasonably economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mcguiver wrote:
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, seems like a nice toy (totally impractical).
    Did a quick search around, only found 95 and 96 models. Any idea what year they went out of production...I'd rather get one a bit newer.

As far as I know they were discontinued when the new generation of Civic was launched in 1996 due to the fact that the 1992 - 1995 Civic donated must of the running gear. Honda didn't bother making a new CRX after that. They were never big sellers here either so your best bet is a Jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

bazz26 wrote:
    As far as I know they were discontinued when the new generation of Civic was launched in 1996 due to the fact that the 1992 - 1995 Civic donated must of the running gear. Honda didn't bother making a new CRX after that. They were never big sellers here either so your best bet is a Jap import.

They were available up to 1998 actually -but only as a 1.6 SOHC (which would be a VGi in Japan or an ESi over here)

The DOHC engine is the one you really want to be honest, but 96 would be as new as you'd get.

Advertisement