Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New or 2nd hand bike?!

Options
  • 11-07-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning on changing to a bigger bike(shadow/dragstar/steed) at the end of the month and I've seen a few 2nd hand bikes that i likes :D Now if i'm buying a bike from a dealer it will have a warranty but how relaiable would a 2nd hand bike be!? My budget is abt 5-6k so I can either buy a new 125cc or a bigger second hand bike...advice pls!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

My current, previous and very first bike are/were all second hand and bought from dealers. All but the first one have been very reliable (well, with the exception of the clutch dropping out of the current one, but it was fixed under warranty). It seems that dealers avoid warranty claims like the plague but, once cornered like rats, they will do the job. 'Fraid I know nada about cruiser bikes, though. They're for nobjockeys. Is that why you want one? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Garibaldi wrote:
    They're for nobjockeys. Is that why you want one? ;)
    heeheee :D yes...one of the ones i have my eye on is purple!! I figure I can get a good deal since it's so girly!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Bring somebody along to check the bike with ya( sorry I dont mean to sound sexist) but an independent point of view will help you get the right bike.
    Do a bit of research on the particular model what faults do the develop. Dont think that just because you are buying from a dealer that your bike will be perfect. Most dealers are fairly reputable but you could still be unlucky and get a lemon. Dont be afraid to buy privately either. There are plenty of forums on the web that will give ya advice. Best of Luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

http://www.irishbikerforum.com/upload/files/2005-06-24_2/Guide%20for%20buying%20a%20used%20Motorbike.doc

That's a used motorcycle evaluation guide. It covers pretty much everything you need to look at in a second hand bike. It's hosted at the forum in my sig, theres a bunch of crusier types there who really know thier stuff and will help you out.

I'm not planning on buying another new bike ever again, cept for the one next week but I'm not paying for it, Thanks Allianz. =]

I'd definitally go second hand if I find something that does the job.

Also, I'd second the idea of bringing somebody with you and not just because your a girl. Its always good to have a second pair of eyes and a second opinion. Somebody whose there to shake thier head and make disproving sounds while you negotiate a price lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Hey tk, are you still on restricted licence? For that sort of money, you could move up to a more powerful ride, like a Fazer 600. Not that you might want to.

IMHO, I'd suggest going bigger: if you've not done the test, you'll need >150cc for the test for A licence.
    A bigger bike means more power, which gives you more options in traffic: should I hold back to avoid cretin A, or twist the wrist and get by him?
    A bigger bike could also mean more weight and hence stability on open roads. My commute has always been on dual carriageways and more recently the M50. My last bike (my second) was a 400cc job and was susceptible to cross winds, being that bit taller.

Have you taken any training? Could you ask the trainer for some advice since he knows your riding ability?

As others have said, take someone else along to act as a sounding board. I didn't when I bought my first bike a 125cc cruiser. It looked nice, was in good working order, but I had to change it after only 2 months as it was unsuited to my needs. 3 years on, I've a 1300cc touring bike. Shaft drive (I don't want any maintenance headaches over then next year). I wanted something to travel to the continent where they've got proper roads (tarmac and no loose chippings :rolleyes: ) and something with enough power to renew my RoSPA.
    But if I was in Dublin city centre traffic every day, I'd go for a 250 traillie, I think. Wouldn't cost anything on the insurance, except maybe a nominal admin charge.

Oh and all my bikes have been second hand. First 2 dealers and last one was a private purchase. New bikes depreciate so quickly, I personally don't think it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Why would you _not_ consider going for a bigger bike? You've been riding a while now IIRC. Insurance costs? Have you gotten quotes for moving up a group or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

The advantages of big'uns... to quote me, a while ago

---

The CBR125 is too small, it's far too light, it's gone and pissed me off and
    despite costing the world its bodged together in Thailand from cheap parts.

So I'm thinking if I had a big dirty courier-esqe bike, a Hornet or a
    Bandit. Restricted to be learner legal would I be happier. No plastic, just
    steel and crash bobbins. And as a benefit to the lack of plastic I'd be able
    to see the parts and figure out how they work and how to take them apart.

The advantages of something bigger, as far as I can see, even it its limited
    to the same top speed and acceleration as the CBR are:
    Quality: Decent lights that work in the dark, quality gauges and switchgear.
    Sound: It'll be louder so people will actually be able to hear me, and it'll
    sound better than the CBR. 'Hondahondahondahondahonda-parp!'
    Fuel Range: Bigger Bike, Bigger Engine so maybe not. But it'll carry more
    than ten litres.
    Speed: I'm not talking about doing 170 km/h or even 112.6 km/h, but surely a
    bigger bike would be more comfortable sitting at sixty rather than my CBR
    giving everything its got and then some for the same feat.
    Everyone likes a big one. =D
    Oh, and the CBR leaves me in bits after an hour travelling hunched over it.

---

Then add to that, better presence on the road, probaly better tires and much better brakes.

Just to further justify the change so when your mother gets all freaked about you on something... GASP!!!! ... *fast* lol

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Johnerr

i got a gilera 180 for sale if ya want it, very fast, very good condition, 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks for all the advise guys!!! My test is at the end of the month and I had a lesson today and the instructor thinks i'l be fine so I'm jst planning ahead! I'm hoping to get a 400-ish cc shadow or steed :D

Advertisement